Ballast TC18 FEL or Frnt weights with cutter? Solo / OkeeDon / others?

/ TC18 FEL or Frnt weights with cutter? Solo / OkeeDon / others? #1  

hazmat

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460HSTC
I'm pretty sure Solo is using front weights & Don is using his FEL for counterweight when using a rotary cutter. I've got a 48" woods brush bull on order.

I see the benefit of using the FEL for knocking down brush & in "unknown territory". The field I'll be mowing is well maintained & I didn't see any stumps & very few rocks.

Just wondering if the front weights are worth the $$ for the increased manuverability - tractor is 9' long, FEL adds 3' the cutter is 7.5' long /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. I remember from using the RFM (on loan while I waited for MMM) that the front end got light if I lifted it up. Are the three front weights enough to keep the nose down on the TC18?

Pic of field here on cbn

Thanks guys

/ TC18 FEL or Frnt weights with cutter? Solo / OkeeDon / others? #2  
Hi Stephen,

Save your money on those front weights...

With that size field... I'd keep the loader on and cut away... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

After a few times of cutting, and "working" some close quarters with the loader attached and the cutter sticking way out back... it becomes second nature with a little experience...

Hey... you'll be able to back up tractor trailers when ya get used to that combo... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ TC18 FEL or Frnt weights with cutter? Solo / OkeeDon / others?
<font color="blue">Hey... you'll be able to back up tractor trailers when ya get used to that combo... </font>

Never tried a tractor trailer, but I was pretty good at backing up the straight trucks when I was a volunteer FF in college. Wonder if I could squeeze that 400 HP Detroit Deisel into my TC18 /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ TC18 FEL or Frnt weights with cutter? Solo / OkeeDon / others? #4  
Hazmat
I do use frontend weights, 160 lbs. plus both front tires are loaded, that gives me an additional 40 lbs.. The added weight of the loaded front tires really helps. From the picture looks like the weights would hold the front down, but I don't think I would spend the money since you have a front loader.
Solo