OPTIMA Batteries

/ OPTIMA Batteries #11  
I have an 8-yr old Optima Red Top (Yes...the cheapest one) in my tractor for 8 years (9/2004) and it has performed flawlessly. I installed a battery box in my tractor and put in the Optima with padding under and around it (carpet pad). I checked it yesterday and it looks like the day I put it in except for a little dust. The terminals are dry, clean, and completely corrosion free.

/ OPTIMA Batteries #12  
... Not clear on how you can get much "better" battery performance then that. Good Luck!

It depends how you measure "good" or "better" battery performance.

If you measure by battery lifetime, the Optimas are good. I use a different criteria. $/year of battery life.

Essentially, I know I will have to replace batteries sooner or latter. To me, the best battery is the one that delivers the longest life per dollar that I spend. When measured this way, it is hard to beat the house brand at O'Reily Auto Parts. The batteries are less costly than most, and my experience has been that they are very good at honoring the warranty. Don't have to save the receipt either, they keep track of everything I buy by my cell phone number.

I have had a few lemons, but they have always exchanged them for me...

/ OPTIMA Batteries #13  
It depends how you measure "good" or "better" battery performance.

If you measure by battery lifetime, the Optimas are good. I use a different criteria. $/year of battery life.

Essentially, I know I will have to replace batteries sooner or latter. To me, the best battery is the one that delivers the longest life per dollar that I spend. When measured this way, it is hard to beat the house brand at O'Reily Auto Parts. The batteries are less costly than most, and my experience has been that they are very good at honoring the warranty. Don't have to save the receipt either, they keep track of everything I buy by my cell phone number.

I have had a few lemons, but they have always exchanged them for me...

$280 for two batteries lasting at least 12 years = <$2/month. No leaks, recharge from completly dead 100's of times. No worries, no issues. Your criteria seems a bit penny wise dollars foolish. To each their own.

/ OPTIMA Batteries #14  
Which Optima batterywould you recommend for our 1635? The battery is on its third year, usually 5 is a blessing up here. The cold always gets them.

/ OPTIMA Batteries #15  
$280 for two batteries lasting at least 12 years = <$2/month. No leaks, recharge from completly dead 100's of times. No worries, no issues. Your criteria seems a bit penny wise dollars foolish. To each their own.
I think CurlyDave's criteria makes perfect sence.
I got 10 years out of my last $90 Diehard battery in my pickup. I got 10+ years out original battery in my tractor.
On Optima battery costing twice as much better last me twice as long or whats the point in changing.

/ OPTIMA Batteries #16  
I think CurlyDave's criteria makes perfect sence.
I got 10 years out of my last $90 Diehard battery in my pickup. I got 10+ years out original battery in my tractor.
On Optima battery costing twice as much better last me twice as long or whats the point in changing.

You guys never see -40, do you? Getting more than 5 years out of a battery is a blessing. The first cold snap reveals its true strengths. My original lasted 6 years, and I replaced ot with another just like it, don't care thst it cost $170. Cheaper means lower quality, and that does not make it better.

/ OPTIMA Batteries #17  
It is not near as cold here as Ontario. I loose trust in a battery after 5 years. No matter who makes it.

/ OPTIMA Batteries #19  
I have been burned too many times by five year old batteries. Years ago the batteries used to slow down and give a bit of warning. Batteries these days work fine one day and are dead as a door nail the next. Work is an hour away from home. I don't want to deal with that before an hour drive home.

/ OPTIMA Batteries #20  
Not sure how you arrived at this conclusion but here is my real world experiance with Optima Blue Tops. My 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4x is on it's second Optima Blue Top and it just rolled over 252,000 miles. This is my daily driver with a big 360 V8 and a high output alternator, not to mention I have used the same battery for trolling motors and RV power. The first Optima BT was used when I put it into the Jeep and was still working when I gave it to my dad to put into a truck he was selling. Not clear on how you can get much "better" battery performance then that. Good Luck!

The Optimas cells are round. The Odysseys cells are square, using all empty space that the optima can't use (due to the round cell's design 3 in a row and another 3 in parallel to it, leaves empty spaces in between the cells). So a Odyssey can be smaller than the Optima with the same rating. Just look at 6 bottles or cans of beer from the top, then 6 equal square boxes.

Because a battery is 5 years old, I don't replace it, I test it. If it tests bad, then i'll desulphate it and use it again until she is really done, or a cell is open or shorted. We have a lawnmower battery that is 12 years old and will kick the el cheapo batteries in the butt any day. My original tractor battery is still working, which is 8 years old. I had to desulphate it a couple of times, but she starts my tractor every time.