OPTIMA Batteries

/ OPTIMA Batteries #21  
Funny you should mention tnat.

ODYSSEY Batteries

Are those tenders that desulphate worth the extra money? Need one for my quad.

The Optimas cells are round. The Odysseys cells are square, using all empty space that the optima can't use (due to the round cell's design 3 in a row and another 3 in parallel to it, leaves empty spaces in between the cells). So a Odyssey can be smaller than the Optima with the same rating. Just look at 6 bottles or cans of beer from the top, then 6 equal square boxes.

Because a battery is 5 years old, I don't replace it, I test it. If it tests bad, then i'll desulphate it and use it again until she is really done, or a cell is open or shorted. We have a lawnmower battery that is 12 years old and will kick the el cheapo batteries in the butt any day. My original tractor battery is still working, which is 8 years old. I had to desulphate it a couple of times, but she starts my tractor every time.

/ OPTIMA Batteries #22  
Funny you should mention tnat.

ODYSSEY Batteries

Are those tenders that desulphate worth the extra money? Need one for my quad.

Before I start something here and need a flame retardant suit, I just say this:
Yes, there are SOME that are decent and it does work. But there are also some that are utter worst piece of something and absolute waste of money, and do NOT work! There are battery tenders and there are desulfators. Some work hand in hand, others not. To figure this out, it is gonna take you a lot of reading. I've done a years worth of testing with batteries, 4 different maintainers and 5 different desulfators and know what works and what doesn't. Some cost money and some are quite inexpensive.

As for the Odyssey... I have one myself with the metal case, as the battery is mounted to close to the engine and the heat killing a flooded lead acid battery after a while. Also not starting the car for 3 or 4 weeks, doesn't help it either.

There is also a different way of desulfating a battery using an electric fence energizer for life stock. That does work too. There are a few members here in this forum that did it with that fence energizer before.

/ OPTIMA Batteries #23  
After one year my original battery corroded everything. I caught it probably a tad bit too late or should I say my dealer backed own replacing under warranty. My optima is now close to 8 years old on my TC29D and still works like a champ.

/ OPTIMA Batteries #24  
I have been replacing batteries as they go out with Optimas where they fit the load, otherwise Interstate on the big ones. Optimas may cost more but I appreciate never having to worry. Orientation flexibility is nice on some tractors as well. Cheap batteries have a way of failing at the wrong time. Like -10 deg outside or when you need them the most.

/ OPTIMA Batteries #25  
After one year my original battery corroded everything. I caught it probably a tad bit too late or should I say my dealer backed own replacing under warranty. My optima is now close to 8 years old on my TC29D and still works like a champ.

Murph, I thought you were looking for a new tractor. Am I confused? Didn't you post that earlier? It has nothing to do with batteries, I just saw your post and it triggered a memory. . . good or bad.:confused3:

/ OPTIMA Batteries #26  
My only experience with Optima batteries is with the Red Top one that was in my 2009 Kubota RTV 900 when I got it (used) with 69 hours on it in 2010. The Optima went dead overnight after about 6 months of use and wouldnt take a charge. The only Optima dealer around me was a NAPA store and the guy said he didnt stock them because they were so expensive that most folks wouldnt pay the double price for them. I guess I am one of them because I bought a NAPA battery to replace it. I guess I got a bad one but that just goes to show that all batteries makers can make a bad one occassionally.
I agree with MountainView, price per month of use is the way to judge a battery and those of you getting 12 years on a battery should be buying lottery tickets as you are extremely lucky. Extreme cold AND extreme heat get a battery fast. The Canadians got the cold but I got the heat. 5 years is pushing the life on a normal battery. I still have the original in my 2007 Chevy truck but I can tell it is getting weak. I look for it to conk out this winter sometime. Since retired, I stay home a lot so the truck may set for a week or two at a time and I can tell that it sounds a little week in starting. It has already beat my average life of batteries by a year and I have used about all of the brands out there.
Battery life depend a lot on how much they are used. All batteries eventually exhaust the material in them and sulfate up so constant use and recharging will eventually run them in the ground. A battery that just sets in the equipment with a maintainer on it and gets used a few times a year may last 12 years but I dont think any battery that is used in a heavy load like cars with all the power equipment is going to last that long. That is my opinion and I am sticking to it. Your opinion like mileage may vary.

/ OPTIMA Batteries #27  
Personally, price per month of use needs to also consider the time, cost, and trouble of having to replace a battery at the most inconvenient time and location.

I have never used an Optima battery, but my understanding is that they are more sensitive to over-charging.

/ OPTIMA Batteries #29  
Personally, price per month of use needs to also consider the time, cost, and trouble of having to replace a battery at the most inconvenient time and location.

I have never used an Optima battery, but my understanding is that they are more sensitive to over-charging.
Most batteries as they start to age (4years or more old) get noticeably weaker especially with cold weather. If you encounter that and worry about getting inconvenienced especially if you only have one vehicle, just buy a new battery every 4 years for about $100 average cost for a 60 month warranted battery and then you have $25 per year invested and a 12 month grace period. Still cheaper than over $200 for an Optima that I dont think would last 8 years without problems.

/ OPTIMA Batteries #30  
I have had the red top and yellow top Optima, both were used when I got them, I used them in dirt track stock cars with no alternator, charged them once a week, after selling stock cars my son used them in his truck with a high amp sound system, sold with truck. these were over 12 years old, when sold. Before that I used Die hard gold, could only get 2 years out of them, warrantied once free. I just put a used Napa spiral cell in my tractor, its 5 years old, has sat 3 years in the garage, started right up. Replace 2 large 6 volt tractor batteries with this, have room for 2 more in the battery box.:laughing::laughing::laughing:The best thing about the Optima is no acid leakage or corosion. If the price was lower I would have all Optimas, but for extreme duty, high vibration aplications, you can not beat them.

Dave