OPTIMA Batteries

/ OPTIMA Batteries #1  

Ramstack

I am in need of a new battery for my TC33DA. Some people I have talked to mentioned purchasing an OPTIMA battery. I was wondering if anybody has run an OPTIMA battery on a TC33DA and can comment if they are worth the money or not? If you do feel that they are worth it, do you happen to have a part or model number for the battery?

Some people have mentioned that the OPTIMA batteries have helped with starting issues which I do sometimes see with my tractor.

Thanks for the help.

/ OPTIMA Batteries #2  
I've used Optima batteries, and have had mixed results with them. If you get a good one, it will last a long time. If you get a bad one, the first time it goes dead will be the end of it.

About a year ago I replaced the battery on my TN70S with a Sears DieHard Platinum Marine battery (size 31M if memory serves me correctly) and that battery is fantastic. It's got the highest capacity of any battery I could find, and it's non-spillable and maintenance free. It has several terminals on it, and I wired a 2500 watt inverter to it and use that to power electric tools when I'm away from other power. I've managed to run skill saws, sawzalls, and impact drills on it for 20 or 30 minutes and the tractor started up just fine (don't run an inverter with the engine running - you'll drive your alternator and voltage regulator crazy...). They're expensive (usually about $300) but I think it's worth every penny.

/ OPTIMA Batteries #3  
I have been using Blue Top (Marine) Optima batteries for over 20-years, I can't speak directly to your application but I have never had an issue with these batteries. They are very small and fit in most trays. I have completely discharged them in my vehicles, boats and RV's and they have always recharged without any problems. None of them have failed after 6+ years of use, sold the vehicle I had it in so not sure if it is still working or not.

Last edited:
   / OPTIMA Batteries #4  
I have always used the Die Hard brand and the Interstate brand. Both brands have served me well in various applications. I have never used the Optima brand.

/ OPTIMA Batteries #6  
Any vehicle I've ever had, I've swapped out to Optima batteries when the ones in it go kaput. I've personally always had good luck with them.

/ OPTIMA Batteries #7  
I've had this Odyssey battery in my 33D for 6 years now and never had an issue, it's AGM so bouncing around has little effect and I have had none of the corrosion issues that the factory battery provided. The "L" model puts the terminals on the proper side but I did have to modify the connections.

MVC-022F.JPG

/ OPTIMA Batteries #8  
I have had an Optima D31M in my truck for almost 5 years now. It still works just fine.

/ OPTIMA Batteries #9  
I had battery issues last year and learned a lot. One thing I will not buy anymore are batteries from Wal-Mart. The Energizer brand are junk around here. They are nothing but trouble. I also have a US sold and made Die Hard that is holding up very well thus far.

To sum it all up:
If I'd go for a AGM battery, my bet is on the Odyssey battery. For the size and power you get out of it, this thing is better than Optima. Another plus on the Odyssey batteries are that you can buy a metal jacket that protects the battery from the engine heat. Extreme heat is also a battery killer. (Don't ask, I had to find that out the hard way).

For any battery you buy, I'd go by the size you need and by weight of the battery. Heavier batteries last longer (at least around here in my neck of the woods). That is where Energizer batteries suck, because they are usually the lightest ones (same size batteries).

I wouldn't put a deep cycle in my machines, but either a real heavy by weight starting battery or a starting / deep cycle.

Pure deep cycle batteries do not like to have the high alternator charging voltage for any longer amount of time as they gas off way earlier than a starting battery and boil the electrolyte out. I have a bunch of deep cycles floating on a power supply as an emergency backup and found out that if I go any higher than 13.2V it boils the electrolyte out like nothing.

Happy hunting batteries!

/ OPTIMA Batteries #10  
To sum it all up: If I'd go for a AGM battery, my bet is on the Odyssey battery. For the size and power you get out of it, this thing is better than Optima.

Not sure how you arrived at this conclusion but here is my real world experiance with Optima Blue Tops. My 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4x is on it's second Optima Blue Top and it just rolled over 252,000 miles. This is my daily driver with a big 360 V8 and a high output alternator, not to mention I have used the same battery for trolling motors and RV power. The first Optima BT was used when I put it into the Jeep and was still working when I gave it to my dad to put into a truck he was selling. Not clear on how you can get much "better" battery performance then that. Good Luck!