Loader Ford 3600 Loader?

/ Ford 3600 Loader? #1  

JSJONES

Tractor
Ford 3600
Anyone have any experience with a loader on a Ford 3600? I'm considering a new installation but don't want to hurt the front end with the additional load, if it is not designed for that. Thanks in advance.

/ Ford 3600 Loader? #2  
Hey, and welcome to tractorbynet!! The 3600 is an awesome tractor, I had one until it got stolen.
The 3600 has a swept axle, and isn't quite suited for heavy loader use. It will suffice for light duty, but a solid front axle is more suited to the task. The previous owner of my 2600 had a loader on it, and it bent one radius arm, and cracked another due to running into things with the bucket.
Don't let me talk you out of it though, if you're mindful of the inherent weakness, it may be just fine

Oh, and post up a pic of your machine, I absolutely love the old 75-81 fords

/ Ford 3600 Loader? #3  
A large (2-3000lb) counter weight on the rear.

I have 900 lb but need more.

DS

/ Ford 3600 Loader? #4  
I have a '78 3600 diesel with a loader on it. I have had it for a few years and use it around the yard for mainly light duty work. Not much heavy dirt work,etc. I have 60 acres of woods from which I cut firewood and use for hunting. The loader is used there to carry firewood out and to haul around saws, cant hook, tools, splitter, etc. Really handy for this, but again this is pretty light use. As my trails are narrow in spots, I have hit a tree or 2 (or 3) without damage so far. Low speed when this happens luckily. Really I just pretend to be productive, but it is great for getting fresh air and some exercise. Also do some snow removal, but most of this is done with a pickup and plow, not the FEL.

I mow several acres with a 3 pt. brush mower and have found the ag tires will dig in to the grass/soil when I turn and have the bucket on. So I take the bucket off to lighten the front end when mowing and that helps a lot. Could get turf tires in the front, but haven't gotten around to it just yet. Make sure your FEL bucket is easy to take off and put on.

My tractor/FEL were used very little for a few years before I bought them. Numerous seals leaked and required replacing. One coupler leaked consistently in spite of new "O" rings, but a new coupler solved that. It sounds like you are considering a new FEL, so this should not be an issue in that case.

Initially the back end was light, so I added fluid to the tires. Also often use an attachment like a back blade when hauling firewood. These help some, but often not enough. Down South's suggestion of rear end counter weight is good. Take that advice.

Mine also has power steering. Big help. Without PS you will work harder to do what you want.

I've been very happy with a FEL on my 3600, but I am not very hard on it. I often use the FEL when a wheelbarrow would do, and when the loader is needed, I don't use it for heavy work. One thing you will find is that working on the engine, etc. is not as convenient with a loader. More things in your way and they always seem to be right where you want to work.

All in all I'm very happy I have a FEL on my 3600. I use it all the time in ways I hadn't thought of before I had it. See pictures. IMG_2296.jpgIMG_2295.jpg

/ Ford 3600 Loader? #5  
I have had mine in a couple surprising situations and Do Not Recommend Them.

2 Loaded tires 55gal + each, 900 counter weight, part of the weight of what i was lifting ( some lift) and the whole tractor and loader on the front axle.

I know if i let the steering wheel loose the front wheels would have flopped one way or the other and break stuff. I am surprised it didn't break anyway with that much weight.

Tractor set up as loader usually dont have 3 point lifts. Your may only lift 1500-2000lbs.

Ds

/ Ford 3600 Loader?
Thanks for all your insight, very helpful. Down South - holy crap I can imagine you were puckered up in that situation!

I wish I had a pic of the 3600 to show you guys but I have not yet made the road trip from TX to GA to pick it up. Getting excited though, it's been well maintained, barn kept, with about 1400 hrs on it. Also has the 8-sp transmission and 2 remote hydraulics, diesel, power steering, ...not sure which year though. I've pretty well convinced myself to buy a loader and be mindful of its limitations - seems even with light use a small bucket would double it's usefulness. I was pretty much raised on a tractor so I have an appreciation for what causes stuff to break.

Is that a factory loader you posted in those pictures, lorandroehl? Anyone have any suggestions for an aftermarket model?

/ Ford 3600 Loader? #7  
Anyone have any suggestions for an aftermarket model?
I've had experience with a Bush hog brand 2400 QT loader, and in my opinion, it was a great setup. It was a quick attach type, meaning you just drove up to it, and latched the 2 latches, and hooked up the hoses. The whole process took less than 10 minutes. It was well built, too.

And 1400 hours on a tractor that is-at the newest- 31 years old is pretty stinkin' low! Great find, and be safe on your roadtrip!
Make sure to post up when you do get it!

/ Ford 3600 Loader? #8  
I believe this is a factory loader, but am not sure as it was on the tractor when I bought it. It had been freshly repainted with new decals prior to my ever seeing it. Others may tell you different and they could be right as I am not that well informed about the looks of different loader models.

Also would rely on others for an aftermarket FEL model suggestion. Just make sure it is well compatable with your tractor.

I haven't had the opportunity to have my rig dance on the front axles only just yet. I will try to avoid that!!

Good luck. Post back with pictures when you can.

/ Ford 3600 Loader? #9  
3600 made a pretty good loader tractor.
As good as an industrial with a solid front axle?
No.
But capable of a lot of useful work?
Yes.
I bought a 3600 with a Ford 772 on it a few years ago.
It was bought as a package when new.
Ordinary wear and tear and overall in good shape yet it had still done a lot of work in it's life.
Same thing with the front of the tractor - nothing major wrong with it beyond one bent radius rod.
No inordinate amount of wear on the center pivot.
Mind you, a loader of any kind will make a behemouth out of that otherwise nimble tractor.
I can't imagine having a clunky loader when I plow and disc my gardens and deer plots - though for picking rocks a loader would be nice. I use a rear scoop instead.
And for all the brush and lawn mowing I do with mine I would hate to have a loader on my tractor.
I get by with the scoop, a boom pole and a back blade - untill some day I can have a dedicated loader tractor and use it primarily for that.
Lorandroehl, mine never looked as nice as yours does. Yours is lovely!
It was slightly burned when I bought it and i made a nice running tractor out of it, used it for a couple of years and then sold it.
I still have the loader and am slowly rebuilding it to put on a tractor one of these days.

I took a bunch of photos then and made a slideshow if you care to see them.

burned Photos by Ultradog | Photobucket

/ Ford 3600 Loader?
Here is a quick photo of the tractor, from our last trip to GA. I'm unofficially inheriting the 3600, but will be next summer before picking it up...I know ya'll were dying to see it!..haha. I think it will clean up nicely. After a little research, the Allied 295 may be a good aftermarket loader purchase. I couldn't seem to find a new bush hog that is made specifically for the 3600, but haven't yet talked to a dealer either. Thanks for the info and sharing the pictures - this is a good forum.

2011-11-25_14-41-26_942.jpg