Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    New Holland / T4.75 Powerstar & Boomer 1030, Case 580 SM II

Default Re: TC35D Cut off while idling in the driveway, won't start back up.

To minimize cranking time, you can open up the bleeder screw at the injector pump while cranking.

Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

You may not have been out of fuel. The tank strainer at the fuel outlet maybe partially plugged with crap and corruption that can form in Diesel fuel from condensationn and bacteria.

Here's general method to bleeding a diesel fuel system. The best place to find this kind of in fo is in the operator's amnual for your specific machine.

Bleeding a Diesel Fuel System

Start at the fuel outlet of the tank (inlet to the filter). Shut the tank valve, remove the line at the filter inlet and holding a suitable container to catch the diesel fuel, open the valve. You should have a CONTINUOUS rush/flow of fuel out of the line. If it dribbles or is intermittent, check the fuel cap for a blockage of the fuel vent or the strainer upstream of the valve for clogging. The strainer/screen is attached to the shut-off valve, and is positioned up inside the tank. You will have to drain the tank and pull the valve to clean the screen.
    If you have good fuel flow at that point, reconnect the line and open the bleeder screw at the top of the filter. Turn on the tank valve and wait till you have a steady flow of fuel with no bubbles at the top of the filter, then close the bleeder screw.
    Your pump may have a bleeder screw. If so, open that until fuel streams out with no bubbles, then close it. If you cannot identify the bleeder screw, loosen the inlet connection at the pump and purge air at that point.
    Go back and make sure ALL the fittings in the fuel delivery system are tight so they cannot suck air.
    Make sure the battery is fully charged. Loosen the fuel fittings at the injectors, either one at a time or all at once. Crank the engine till you see all fuel at the injector fittings and then tighten the fittings. If you do indvidual fittings, the engine will usually start before you get to the last fitting.
    Alternatively, you can "tow-start" it to save wear and tear on your starter. Leave the injector lines cracked open at the injectors at first to purge the lines. Then tighten them up and she should start.
    Your injection pump puts out a very small amount of fuel (high pressure/low volume). BE PATIENT. If the lines are totally empty, it takes a lot of cranking to fill them up.
    sixbales & Jerry/MT

Thanks jerry. I was following my manual. Its funny, the manual kept saying that the fuel system was self bleeding, BUT here's how you bleed it.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    NH T2310

Several reports on here about NH 35 and 40 having unreliable fuel gauges. I know my 2310 (about the same as a 40D) gauge is usually wrong. Have had to bleed air out of mine twice, once when I learned the gauge was wrong, and another time when the fuel filter was cleaned. You can crank all day, it won't start until that air is bled. On mine, I just crack open 1 line to an injector, crank until fuel comes out (about 5 seconds), and it starts. Tighten the line, you're good to go.

Can't help you with the loping at idle, but its not normal.
    New Holland T2310, NH 250TL loader, United 672HD box blade, Construction Attachments 42HD forks, KK II 6' tiller

Tractor
    New Holland tc40da

I had the same thing happen to me with my TC40DA. After checking the fuel system and electrical it turned out to be The Operator Safety Module. It is under the covers around the steering, under the dash. It cost $60 bucks. Part number 86400241. Pulled the old one out and plugged the new one in and it started right up. I spent days checking and rechecking everything else before I figured out it was this.

Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

I ran my TC45D out of fuel one time. If I had been on a level spot, I probably would not have run out of fuel, but I was working on a slope. The tractor sputtered and died with me instantly knowing I had pushed my luck just over the 'cliff.' I walked back to the house and brought 5 gal of diesel to the tractor and poured it in. I got on and cranked the engine between 5 and 10 seconds. It seemed like an eternity, but it sputtered to life and then ran perfectly. Perhaps that's what NH means by "self-bleeding." I don't think the system can take changing a filter and leaving a slug of air in there. However, if the supply just stops due to being out of fuel, the injector pump can reload and start pumping again. For me, it worked that way, but I'd never guarantee anyone that they will have similar results.
    Jim

Tractor
    Case/IH DX33

I've got a Case DX series tractor and have found that the fuel gauge seems to be more ornamental than anything. I've checked the sending unit...proper resistance. No real resistance in the ground wire. I've learned to fill 'er up every other time I use it pretty much. It's easier to fill it up in the shop where the fuel is than it is to take fuel to it. LOL

The $60 for the module sounded pricey. I looked it up on Tractorhelp.com and they had it for less than $50.
    Replacement Parts - TC45DA - TC45 - TC Series - New Holland

The loping at idle sounds like a fuel system problem to me.....but without starting to "dive in"....I'm not sure how much my diagnosis will be work. Grizz is right. It's not normal....unless you're got a huge pump, huge camshaft, and are looking to enter the Pro stock tractor pulling category. I love these series of tractors and haven't found much that they can't do....but I'm thinking that may something.....haha

Tractor
    New Holland tc45d

New thread, new user. Let me know if this is a faux pax in this forum. I have a TC45D and after having read the posts over the past few years worth, seem to need a new glow plug timer. The NGK model S81NF Timer is about 70-75 $. Is the one used on the kubota, model number S81NL interchangeable with the other. Only about 21$ on eBay. Probably not but thought I would ask the more experienced and therefore wiser. thanks!

Tractor
    1993 NH 2120 (the best), 1974 MF 135 (sold, but solid), 1947 Farmall A (bought, sold, bought back, sold again), 1956 MH50 lbt (sold, in 1980, darn it)

You can get a new posting by adding yours to a related one you've found via search.
    So yes, a bit of a faux pas since you're moving the thread in a new direction. Only problem with that is it complicates future searches.
    That said, this is a pretty easy going group, all told and most times.
    Jim
    "Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly" Mae West

Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Quote Originally Posted by starzmarz View Post
    The NGK model S81NF Timer is about 70-75 $. Is the one used on the kubota, model number S81NL interchangeable with the other. Only about 21$ on eBay. Probably not but thought I would ask the more experienced and therefore wiser. thanks!
    I think you will find that the Kubota timer runs a few seconds longer, but for the price difference, it seems a non-issue. You may not even notice the difference.
    Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12