TC35D Cut off while idling in the driveway, won't start back up.

/ TC35D Cut off while idling in the driveway, won't start back up. #1  

SaltH2OHokie

Tractor has just under 1,000 hrs, has been well maintained, and aside from replacing that fuse with a CB, I haven't had any issues. She lopes at idle until the engine warms up, and last night I was moving a trailer and hopped off to work on something on the trailer so I just left the tractor idling. It had warmed up enough that the lope was mostly smoothed out when I heard it start back to loping or surging...got worse and worse and before I could get to the seat she just died. Got on and cranked and it ran, but almost immediately died...did that once or twice more until it got to where it wouldn't run even for a second...just crank.

Fuel (or a lack thereof) was my first thought, but the gauge shows better than a quarter tank. Dumped a gallon or two in there anyway...whats the chances I have an inaccurate gauge and ran out of fuel? If I did, what needs to be cracked to bleed it? I'd be upset if the gauge is that far off...but stranger things have happened.

If not out of fuel, where should I start?

Also, a related question: if I needed to get this on my trailer, how do I manage to get the fel off of the ground with a non running tractor?

/ TC35D Cut off while idling in the driveway, won't start back up. #2  
I would check the filter and sight glass first off. I'm wondering if there's some junk that clogged up the works.

/ TC35D Cut off while idling in the driveway, won't start back up. #3  
You may also have condensation in the tank. If so you will need to drain the tank and refill with new diesel. But first, get out your owners manual and read how to blede the fuel system. Do that first and see if it then starts. Drain the fuel fliter too. Look to see if ther is water in the glass bulb. To check the fuel level to verify the guage reading get a dowell rod or any clean piece of wood that is ling enough to stick into the tank to the bottom and still hold on to. Insert it all the way to the bottom, pull it out and see where the fuel line is compared to the depth of the tank. That will give you enough info to verify the guage.

/ TC35D Cut off while idling in the driveway, won't start back up.
Is the cold engine lope normal? My massey doesn't do that, nor either of my diesel vehicles? I've just always accepted it as normal on this tractor because I bought it used and it has done it from the day I brought it home without any ill effect.

I reckon checking sight glass and dipsticking the tank are pretty simple things I could have done...i was freezing last night and hungry, so I just got disgusted and went inside. Then I got to thinking about it here at work (where I can't see my tractor...just the internet) so I figured I'd post the question.

I'll be home soon enough to check it out and hopefully update with a solution.

Thanks

/ TC35D Cut off while idling in the driveway, won't start back up. #5  
If you did run out of gas it won't start until you bleed the system no matter how long you crank it. To measure the fuel with a stick, the best thing I have found is a wooden yard stick. It will give inches of fuel too. While at work maybe you could search the net for bleeding the fule lines. Mine is a 1700 so it would be different in the process. I have ran out of fuel a couple of times and had to refer to my owners manual both times. Maybe someone else of this forum can give you the correct information. It is pretty easy. On mine the book says not to loosen any fuel line nuts, there is a bleed screw on the pump. I drain the bulb too and let the fuel flow through before tightening back. All this is without the tractor running and while you are standing by it. When re-starting use full throttle and cut back as soon as it starts to about 1500 rpm. In cold weather I never idle below 1000 rpm.

/ TC35D Cut off while idling in the driveway, won't start back up. #6  
Maybe you will get lucky and not have to do anything. You might try this before doing anything else. Use your pre heater for at least 30 seconds, use at least 1/2 throttle or full throttle, crank it for 5 seconds, if it doesn't start, preheat it for another 20 seconds and try to restart again. Keep your fingers crossed, you might get lucky and it will start up. It won't hurt to try. If it starts let it warm up good before driving.

/ TC35D Cut off while idling in the driveway, won't start back up. #7  
This tractor has a self priming pump, but when I got some sludge in the filter, the self priming part stopped working for me. I had to remove the return line from the fuel pump to get it to prime. It is the rubber hose hooked to the pump. I loosened it, then cranked the engine, and it started right up, spilling fuel in the process. I hadn't got the filter completely clean, and I did it again, and had to redo it. I did not have to mess with the injectors.

The root of the problem was that I let the tractor Idle on a 20% grade(pointed downhill), which allowed normally settled goo to get into the fuel suction.

Chris

/ TC35D Cut off while idling in the driveway, won't start back up. #8  
push the joystick down, and jack it up, then release the joystick to raise the fel. Be very careful, though.

/ TC35D Cut off while idling in the driveway, won't start back up.
Not sure what's up...but here is my "repair procedure":

I emptied a 5 gallon can into the fuel tank (which didn't appear to be empty). Gauge came up to just under half.
I pulled the fuel bowl and replaced filter (was a fairly fresh filter, but I had a spare in the garage, so I stuck it in).
Dumped some fuel...appeared clean, tasted like diesel (at least that's what my dogs said).
Reinstalled bowl with new filter.
Filled bowl. Had to crack bowl to get it past 2/3 full.
Once it was full, I cut the petcock off to stop it from leaking while I tightened the bowl back up. (THIS IS IMPORTANT)
Cranked and cranked...nothing.
Loosened fitting on pump from fuel bowl...nothing.
Went back to manual to make sure I wasn't missing something.
Walked around cussing, chased dogs around the yard for stress relief, went back to tractor.
Realized I had fuel cut off at bowl from where it was leaking after filling it by loosening it up...cuss some more...tell dogs to stop laughing at me.
Cut it back on.
Crank and crank...nothing.
Loosened fitting on pump from fuel bowl...fuel bubbled out...tightened back up.
Crank and crank...burped to life, but died.
Repeated above until she ran...idled up to 1,500RPM and started cleaning up wrenches.

So, I guess it was out of fuel, which is irritating since the gauge was well out of the "red".

Thanks for the moral support :D

/ TC35D Cut off while idling in the driveway, won't start back up. #10  
try blowing on the return line to the tank when this happens again