Ford 4000..........diff lock?

/ Ford 4000..........diff lock? #1  

Toronto Turbo

Tractor
Ford 4000
Read on the forums the Ford 400 has a diff lock..................Where is the location and how do you operate it?

My traqctor I think is a 1971 Ford 4000 3 cylinder gas, appears to be an industrial, with a class II hitch, front loader with from PTO pump.

1/2" of snow in the driveway aqnd I am getting stuck in reverse with just one wheel spinning.............I even have a few loops of chain around the tire.

/ Ford 4000..........diff lock? #2  
The differential lock on the 4000 is the pedal on the left (brake pedals) side, under the seat. It points forward from the rear axle and sits low, parallel to and just over the running board.

Edit: Oops--that should say right side. You step on it with your right heel.

Last edited:
   / Ford 4000..........diff lock?
The differential lock on the 4000 is the pedal on the left (brake pedals) side, under the seat. It points forward from the rear axle and sits low, parallel to and just over the running board.

I will have to take a look I don't recal seeing it.
Do you have to keep foot pressure on ot for it to be locked?

/ Ford 4000..........diff lock? #4  
It's set up for heel operation, so I would guess so, but I've never had occasion to try it. The tractor is my dad's, and the only meaningful time I've spent in the seat has been while haying--and a flat field in a drought just doesn't give you much need for locking the diff...

/ Ford 4000..........diff lock? #5  
I found this picture where you can (vaguely) see the end of the pedal:
Ford_4000_-Concouse_restoration_ORA_967E-Driffield-P8100499.JPG
If you zoom in on the running board, you can see the brake latch T-handle sticking up through the running board; aft of that, just before the fender obscures the view, you can see the end of the diff lock pedal, where you step on it with your heel. (There's a small strip of white near the pedal; the brake latch T-handle is roughly half-way between the brakes and the diff lock.)

Thanks.
I will have to look next time I am up.
What else are people doing for more traction?
Would just some dead weight on the 3 point hitch be a great help?..........I was wondering if it was just the front loader weight on the front causing me to get stuck.
It sounds like there is water in the wheels so I assume they are weighted.

I found this picture where you can (vaguely) see the end of the pedal:
View attachment 291091
If you zoom in on the running board, you can see the brake latch T-handle sticking up through the running board; aft of that, just before the fender obscures the view, you can see the end of the diff lock pedal, where you step on it with your heel. (There's a small strip of white near the pedal; the brake latch T-handle is roughly half-way between the brakes and the diff lock.)

/ Ford 4000..........diff lock? #7  

You engage the lock by pressing the pedal, then release it. The lock disengages itself when both wheels turn equally. Make sure it disengages properly.
Here is the operator's manual: Scribd
Check figure 4A on page 8 and instructions on page 13.

Edit:
Perhaps your tractor does not have a differential lock. It was optional on some models but seems to have been standard equipment on the industrials (at least 4400)
You can try braking the wheel that spins, just enough to get the other one turning.

Last edited:
   / Ford 4000..........diff lock? #8  
yep.. brakes will help traction.. ballasting tires or frame as well. chains if needed..

Never thought of braking the spinning tire......will try it.
Thanks
for the Manual too!

/ Ford 4000..........diff lock? #10  
Having weight on the rear really helps my Ford 2000 plow snow.
you can get a steel barrel from Craigslist for $10, put a crossbar from Tractor Supply through it.
( Watch the height of the cross bar versus the height of you 3 point side links at rest, I got the cross bar a little too low)
I then put a chain from the cross bar to a chain hook from TSC that was wide enough for a top link.
and mixed up and added seven 80lb bags of cement
Watch the height of the toplink attachment for when it pivots off the ground, see pic

The diff lock doesn't seem to help on my Ford

Attachments

• plowing snow.jpg
    plowing snow.jpg
    718.7 KB · Views: 973
  • bb 3.jpg
    bb 3.jpg
    581.3 KB · Views: 1,020