1700 Resurrection

/ 1700 Resurrection #1  

RedDirtDaddy

Tractor
1979 Ford 1700
I'm about to tackle the resurrection of our family's '79 1700 2WD with 770 loader. Before he passed, my uncle (original owner) drove this tractor like it was a D9! After some other 'tinkerers' in the family have tried to work on this thing, it sat for a few years.

I've gathered all the info on filters/fluids and other maintenance advice, and have gotten some behind the scenes direction from JC (thanks again!). I do know it currently has automotive coolant and engine oil in it, as well as contaminated trans/hydro (due to a paper sack used for a gasket). There is a significant amount of blowby, which I assume is from the automotive engine oil. At one point the rings were replaced and the oil ring was installed upside down. This is a mess, but it's got to be taken care of. At least I've got the operator's manual and the FO-40.

My biggest concern is the clutch. I am 4 hours away from the tractor and haven't been able to looking at it while running, but the last person to operate it says the clutch isn't working. There seems to be acceptable free travel in the pedal. When fully depressed there is an internal popping sound. I know it's nearly impossible to diagnose something virtually, but could this be an adjustment or possibly the fork/hub on the clutch shaft worn out? I'd like to avoid splitting if possible but am afraid it will be needed. Any input is greatly appreciated!

/ 1700 Resurrection #2  
Setting for a couple of years, the clutch plates may just be stuck togather. JC can give you a fix without splitting if this is the problem. Check with the family member that told you the clutch wasn't working to see if it is engaged all the time. If so, let the forum know that is the problem and they can recommend the fix. without splitting.

/ 1700 Resurrection #3  
RedDirtDaddy,

Let's focus on the clutch for starter. The good think about Ford 1700 is that you have a and inspection hole (hand hole) that has a rubber cover. The hand hole is on the right side of the transmission. You mentioning a D9 and that reminds me a dozer. Do you have a loader on this thing. If so the loader mount unfortunately cover the hole some and make it difficult to inspect. With the cover removed and help of second person one can simulate the whole clutch operation with the tractor of or off or even off. I recommend doing it with the engine off. You really need to be prepared, rear axle on the jack, wheel chocked to be safe. check the all the fingers on the pressure plate are not damaged, check the gap between release bearing and the fingers. Can check the return spring on the bearing holder. Can check bearing holder travel back and forth and see if there is anything binding. You can even check some clearance between the flywheel and clutch plate and clutch plate vs pressure plate when the clutch is depressed fully. You'll need a flash drive. I can't my finger on it but I know I have a ton of pictures about it and how I measure clutch plate thickness left VS oem.

The good thing is you can do all the investigation non destructively and pretty quick. In 15 minutes you should know what you're up against. I wonderd if one of the 3 finger on pressure plate is damaged hence the popping sound or issue with spring return on the holder. Search my post and you'll find them . If you have issues then let us know and we'll dig it up. A lot of guys here will be able to provide good comments suggestion as we go deeper with diagnostics.

JC,

/ 1700 Resurrection
Ray,

I'll be there tomorrow afternoon for most of the month, so I'll check it out myself over the family's thoughts.

JC,

Yes, 770 FEL. That was my plan to remove the loader since the inspection cover is half exposed (all the FEL bolts on one side are missing anyway, and a bucket cylinder rod is bent also). Hopefully I'll be able to deduce something through the port.

I'll report back soon. Thank you!!

/ 1700 Resurrection #5  
I have an inspection camera that does have a flexible head with the camera and light source. Something like that would be real handy there even with the loader mount as you can wiggle the camera head. It is kind of doing colonoscopy :D You should be able to find a lot of information after your inspection. if you don't have a seconf hand to help then you might inspect with the clutch out. Press the clutch and use s weigh, bungee or something to keep engaged and then inspect. It is much much better with a help as you can see and hear when the pop occurs.

Good luck,
JC,

Ray,

I'll be there tomorrow afternoon for most of the month, so I'll check it out myself over the family's thoughts.

JC,

Yes, 770 FEL. That was my plan to remove the loader since the inspection cover is half exposed (all the FEL bolts on one side are missing anyway, and a bucket cylinder rod is bent also). Hopefully I'll be able to deduce something through the port.

I'll report back soon. Thank you!!

/ 1700 Resurrection
Hmm, a borescope type camera might require a HF run.....but that can be dangerous for my bank account :D The rubber port cover is severely dry rotted so I'll just pull the loader frame. I'll be doing most of the work leading up to splitting, in the event it is needed. I'd really like to pull the head to see cylinder wall status (due to the excessive blowby and upside down rings) but am not crazy about the cost of a replacement head gasket.

/ 1700 Resurrection #7  
I don't think the oil will cause blow by.What makes you think the oil ring is up side down?.I would worry about the engine before any thing else. If you can not get the engine going the nothing else matters.
Bill

/ 1700 Resurrection #8  
Hmm, a borescope type camera might require a HF run.....but that can be dangerous for my bank account :D The rubber port cover is severely dry rotted so I'll just pull the loader frame. I'll be doing most of the work leading up to splitting, in the event it is needed. I'd really like to pull the head to see cylinder wall status (due to the excessive blowby and upside down rings) but am not crazy about the cost of a replacement head gasket.

Would you get the same blowby with new oil? any sign of diesel in crankcase oil? smell? I have not done any major work with the engine and I have done all I could to avoid it. Don't have feel for the cost of head repair, gasket , valve jobs and such. Jones??? (AKA Russel) has done a great job fixing his tractor head that was cracked. I think he used partsSpring as source. not 100% sure.
JC.

/ 1700 Resurrection
Oh, I've seen it run recently. A few years ago one uncle 'overhauled' the engine, and it caused a decent amount of oil to be blown through the exhaust. Another uncle and an aunt reversed the oil rings and it stopped. If you haven't gathered by now, there have been entirely too many hands on this tractor. The engine has never given any problems and seems sound, but I will likely at least do a compression check once some other things are addressed. Currently (without digging in to anything yet), the clutch is my biggest concern.

/ 1700 Resurrection
It would make sense to me though for an automotive oil to drastically lose viscosity and burn in a diesel engine, no??

Yes JC, I've seen his pics. I will likely add to the pic collection here! That reminds me to pack my camera