Cold TC45D

/ Cold TC45D #1  

dieselpwr

Silver Member
Tractor
TC45D
I live in Wisconsin & as of July became the proud owner of a TC45D. I am just wondering what the rest of the Boomer owners that live in cold climates experience for temp. readings.

When operating under light loads - like plowing snow - the guage doesn't move much. I have resorted to cardboard, covering no more than 50% of the radiator per the dealers recomendation because of the plastic fan. It helps somewhat, but when it was 20 below 0 a while ago, I was out for an hour and a half & the gauge only once moved slightly off the bottom peg. In the summer it only comes up to normal (green zone) when it is being worked. (running a mower or pulling hard) Just doing light loader work doesn't bring it up beyond half way to normal. The dealer I purchased it from replaced the thermostat & it helped a little, but not much. I also called another dealer, who called New Holland for me, & they said that unless you work the tractor a little harder it probably won't show any more temp. So according to them, all is normal. I have never had a machine that ran so cool before & I am just wondering if any other Boomer owners have noticed the same thing or not. I sure would hate to shorten the engine life of my new toy if it isn't really right.

Maybe the dealers are telling the truth & Boomers are just cold blooded machines that like to work hard. :)

Would love to here your responses.

Troy

/ Cold TC45D #2  
I highly recommend your getting a block heater. I have one on my TC29D and it works great! They have lots of different types. The one on mine goes in place of the center soft plug and heats the coolant in the block. I leave it on for anywhere from 1 to 2 hours before starting. By the time I start it, the block is warm to the touch. If the temperature is below 20 degrees F I also heat the tractor up with a turbo heater for about an hour to heat up the hydraulic fluids and all the rest of the oil and grease on the tractor.

This can be a lot of trouble but it's worth it since cold oil does not lubricate very well and hydraulics don't work well. Where I live (in southern IN) we don't usually get long periods of cold. So, I don't mind going to the trouble of heating it up before starting, since it's not real cold that often and I don't use it more than a couple of times a week in the winter. Where you live it probably stays cold for months, heating it up every time before you start it could get to be a pain, especially if you use the tractor every day!

/ Cold TC45D #3  
Can't comment on the TC, but my Kubota B1700 is exactly the same - the guage has never been more than 1/8 inch off the low peg, ever. I posted on this a couple of years ago, and everyone replied that their tractors were the same, so at least for me I think it is normal for my model, and apparently for Kubota in general.

/ Cold TC45D #4  
I found on my TC29D that if I run above 2,000 RPM my temp gauge will show normal summer readings. However if I operate at much less than 2,000 the engine runs much cooler.

I am north of Ann Arbor & we were between 0 and 20 degrees for a long time. My tractor lives in an unheated pole barn with no block/oil/water heater & it was a bit tricky starting a few times, but after starting I could get it up to temp.

/ Cold TC45D #5  
Pardon the intrusion by another <font color=orange>orange</font color=orange> guy, but you guys have gotten me a little concerned.

After a 10-minute warmup at 1000rpm, my L2500 temp guage is right at 12 o'clock (mid-scale). It stays there for normal use, and when I work it hard it goes up to 1 or 2 o'clock.

Fluid levels are fine, and I just replaced the hydraulic oil (idles noticeably faster now). Is it time to flush the cooling system?

We haven't experienced anything resembling cold weather yet (sorry fellas), so we're talking an ambient temperature in the 60's or so.

HarvSig.gif

/ Cold TC45D #6  
My situation is the same as RSeymour,2000rpm and after a while it is at normal temp,lower rpm's and its somewhere in between.This is at temps 25 degrees or less.Then again mine is alot smaller boomer.Tom

/ Cold TC45D #7  
Thanx Harv, I should have thought about asking how yours runs first of all since we have the same tractor! Mine runs just as you described. Once warmed up, even in 5deg F weather I run at 12 oclock. In the summer I noticed my temp goes up if I idle, not down as many others here describe. If I run back up to 1500-2000, even under laod, the temp stays right around 12. I was thinking maybe my thermostat was stuck partially closed but maybe not since it seems to act just as yours does. (I emailed on the status of my (oops, I mean my wifes!) camera - getting antsy!! Must be the holiday back log)

/ Cold TC45D #8  
Gerard -

It's starting to sound like all temperature guages are not created equal. The fact that our 2500's behave similarly is encouraging.

At the risk of totally defacing this TC45D thread, I wonder if Rodneyd or Jeff_In_NC are listening (they also have 2500's).

I'll post the question in a Kubota thread, just in case. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Cold TC45D #9  
The NH 2120 temp gauge runs in the middle of the temp gauge, basically 6 o'clock, my needle hangs down. During the cold 10ish degrees F during idle the temp indicated is a needle width on the cooler side. When working hard in the cold the needle doesn't move at all. In the summer when working it hard it is just a couple of needle widths on the hotter side, unless the screen in front of the rad is plugged.

Derek

/ Cold TC45D #10  
I have only owned my TC45D for a couple months but have used it quite a bit lately in the cold weather to move a lot of snow. The temperature gauge has so far never moved no matter how long I operate the tractor.