TC55DA/DX55

/ TC55DA/DX55 #1  

jduke

Bronze Member
I cross posted this because its the same tractor, and I need help ASAP.

I was out using my tractor and while going around a tree, the power steering got noticeably harder. It just kind of quit. Its not out altogether, but its much harder to use. What can the cause be? The fluid level is fine. There are no leaks. The tractor has about 410 hours on it.

/ TC55DA/DX55 #2  
Dunno... either there is no full pressure (pressure test) or some bypass valve stuck, or maybe the packing inside the steering cylinder... I know the TC55DA has a power steering filter in the resovoir too... maybe that is plugged? I'd do a pressure check first, before I'd attempt anything mayor. This said, by any chance you didn't have a something heavy on the loader while turning wheels? Did you search the New Holland forum for "tc55da power steering" maybe there is something that fits you as this what you explained isn't much to go on...

/ TC55DA/DX55 #3  
If you have a loader, use it to raise the front end. Run the power steering left/right to see how hard it is to turn and to watch the hyd cylinder to see if the ram looks bent or bowed a small amount. You should be able to turn off the engine and rotate your steering wheel to turn the front wheels fairly easily also. If you can't turn the wheels with the engine off, something is binding. Under heavy load, the steering can stall, but it should correct itself and go away unless something is binding.

/ TC55DA/DX55
If you have a loader, use it to raise the front end. Run the power steering left/right to see how hard it is to turn and to watch the hyd cylinder to see if the ram looks bent or bowed a small amount. You should be able to turn off the engine and rotate your steering wheel to turn the front wheels fairly easily also. If you can't turn the wheels with the engine off, something is binding. Under heavy load, the steering can stall, but it should correct itself and go away unless something is binding.

It feels the same when the wheels are off the ground. I checked this earlier. How do you pressure check this? Sounds like something the dealer will have to diagnose. It's not terrible and if I didn't know how it was earlier I wouldn't know. It's definately messed up.

/ TC55DA/DX55 #5  
I think the maximum pressure for this system is around 1500 psi, but that's only with maximum effort. SuperSteer front ends have slightly higher pressure because they use two cylinders and have to swing the entire front axle under load. I think your dealer is likely to have a hose and pressure test setup in his shop. You can probably get him to test the pressure and let you know what it shows for far less than you could build a test kit for yourself.

/ TC55DA/DX55
I have 400 hours. It's really not possible my filter could be so dirty all of a sudden. I was just turning around. No holes. Nothing Wierd. It just got stiff. I can use it as is for now but it's concerning.

/ TC55DA/DX55 #7  
Does your TC55DA have a separate PS reservoir or does it draw from the main sump? You said the fluid level was fine, but didn't mention if it is from the main or a dedicated reservoir. I know on some later tractors, New Holland eliminated the PS reservoir and plumbed into the main supply. If you have time, you might rotate your steering wheel so that the PS cylinder is fully extended. Look at the ram and even lay a straight-edge up next to it to make sure it is not bent or binding. From your description, it's nothing you did and there was no damage, but it doesn't hurt to check. Otherwise, a pressure check is probably what you'll have to do. You could also disconnect the steering cylinder and let it operate with no load to see how that performs, but that's a lot of work and may just tell you what you already know.

/ TC55DA/DX55
Does your TC55DA have a separate PS reservoir or does it draw from the main sump? You said the fluid level was fine, but didn't mention if it is from the main or a dedicated reservoir. I know on some later tractors, New Holland eliminated the PS reservoir and plumbed into the main supply. If you have time, you might rotate your steering wheel so that the PS cylinder is fully extended. Look at the ram and even lay a straight-edge up next to it to make sure it is not bent or binding. From your description, it's nothing you did and there was no damage, but it doesn't hurt to check. Otherwise, a pressure check is probably what you'll have to do. You could also disconnect the steering cylinder and let it operate with no load to see how that performs, but that's a lot of work and may just tell you what you already know.

It has its own reservoir.

/ TC55DA/DX55
It has its own reservoir.

Man, maybe Im full of crap. Maybe its not any different than it was before. Maybe it felt hard and I got it in my head it was messed up. Its definately usable as it is. It seems to be easier to turn when its cold. I dunno. I mean, these things don't just do things like this right? THey either work or they don't? I use my tractor several times a year, and when I do, its continuous 3-4 days of brush cutting with tons of dust and such. I usually have to clean my radiator out a few times or it won't cool properly because of the stuff accumulated on the fins. The dipstick on the reservoir is a bit loose, so maybe its possible the filter is dirty, but im not sure. Guess I could change fluid and filter and see what happens.

Last edited:
   / TC55DA/DX55 #10  
When all else fails, change the fluid and filter. haha:thumbsup: