Snow Rear tire ballast in 3010

/ Rear tire ballast in 3010 #1  

ironpen

Gold Member
Tractor
tn75s, tc33d, mc35, gt65, 6640, 3010s, TS110, TS115, TN70, Massey 5470, Kubota F2690
I've got a NH 3010 that I use only for FEL work. It's got a big Bush Hog brand FEL on it. With a full bucket, the back end gets pretty light. I thought about a ballast box, but now am leaning toward liquid in the tires instead. What do you guys think about that? What liquid? How full (I've read anywhere from 40 to 90% liquid)? What is the downside of doing this? TIA

/ Rear tire ballast in 3010 #2  
The only down side of filled tires that I can think of is maybe ruts in the yard if you use your tractor to mow. The pluses of filled tires is better traction for FEL work, better safety, and stability on hills. I feel a tractor with filled tires, for me, is safer to operate. Rimguard for me is the ultimate tire fill but not the cheapest.

/ Rear tire ballast in 3010
Thanks, anybody else with thoughts??

/ Rear tire ballast in 3010 #4  
Rim Guard here in the north country where freezing is an issue, but in Alabama freezing should not be an issue, is water an option? H20 is lighter than Rim Guard but much cheaper. In the event of a tire failure neither will harm your lawn like calcium chloride or anti freeze will. fill to about 85% of tire capacity you should be able to get the volumes off the RimGuard website.

/ Rear tire ballast in 3010 #5  
There's lots of posts in this. A rear weight does more good for loader work since its cantilevered.
Jim

I decided to fill about 50% of the wheel volume with Rimguard. Well, the guy from Michigan called today and says they don't have a representative anywhere close to Alabama. I would like to not use a tube. Am I being too cautious by hesitating to use just plain water?? Would some RV antifreeze prevent corrosion on the rims, or is that something that's not really worth worrying about??

/ Rear tire ballast in 3010 #7  
Not sure if it's available in your area but I live in Western New York. Up here they are filling tires with beet juice. The benefits are it doesn't rust the rims and doesn't freeze. My friends have had their tires loaded witth this stuff and no problems. Just an fyi

I wonder where I could find it?? Where did you get yours?

/ Rear tire ballast in 3010 #9  
You need to fill your tires so the water covers the rim (75% full)thus keepin oxygen away from the metal. NAPA has the fitting to just put it on your garden hose. You need to block up your tractor tire so you dont unseat the bead. After its blocked up, unscrew the top half of your tractors valve stem to remove all the air till zero pressure. Hook on your NAPA filler after selecting the right adapter to fit your tire (it will come with 2 or 3 different types. You will need to vent air as it is filled. Turn off the hose and push the air vent button to remove the air, then turn on the hose again. You can tell when it gets full by the sound of the water running in the tire. Just like spraying a hose in a bucket then sticking the nozzle under the water. As soon as it changes tone, cut off the water, remove the adapter and let any excess water out till you start getting water and air comeint out, then you can screw in the top half of the valve stem. Plain water should work for you especially if you keep your tractor in a garage. If parked outside, park it where the sun can hit the tires and warm the water during the day and it will take several days of below freezing conditions to cause the tire to freeze up. Freezing up wont hurt your tires as long as you dont move the tractor when they are frozen AND you dont overfill the tires with water. The Air pocket above the top of the rim is necessary for smoothing the ride because water dont compress so you need the air pocket so the tire will give a bit when operating and in case it freezes, this allows for expansion. I grew up in North Louisiana and we had plain water in all the tires. They did freeze when we had the occassional hard freeze for days but just let it set till the tire quiets sweating (like an ice tea glass in the summer) When it stops sweating, the tire is ok to move.
OR if you want full winter time use, fill it with 30% Methanol and water mixture for -20F protection. You will need a pump for this operation.

/ Rear tire ballast in 3010 #10  
By the way, even with tires filled you will still need some additional rear ballast to carry a fully loaded FEL bucket. You would still need a ballast box or other piece of heavy equipment like your bush hog to counter balance the FEL weight