1974 2000 series Ford ignition wiring

/ 1974 2000 series Ford ignition wiring #1  

Howard707

Tractor
Ford
Hey folks, I have a 1974 Ford 2000, 3cyl, gas, 12volt generator tractor. One of the blades had broken off of the ignition switch assembly. I went to my local New Holland dealer and purchased a new ignition switch. The original switch has 11 blades. Only 5 were used on it. It has one over-sized blade. The new switch has a total of 7 blades including the one over-sized. Like a dumb ars, I thought for sure that the old switch had letters indicating the wiring location for the blades and of course this same dumb ars that I mentioned before removed the wires to find out that the only blades that I can identify their location is the broken one and the over-sized one. The new switch is a CNH Original Parts component (7 total blades), that only identifies by number and that is 1,2,3,4 and 5 Number 1 being the over-sized blade AND the blade that has been broken off. BY NOW Im sure you know where this dumb ars is going with this !!! Can anyone HELP ME?????? Now I have 3 wires hanging and couldnt begin to place them back where they belong without one of the BRIGHT MECHANICS out here!!! I hope this is enough info as well. Thanks in advance, The DUMB ARS above :)

/ 1974 2000 series Ford ignition wiring #2  
Really pays to mark your wires before taking stuff apart...

Does your tractor serial number start with A, B, or C?? Makes a slight difference.
For A and B there are extra connections for lighting and horn

C for made in USA is:
Terminal 1 (B) is the battery connection and goes to the B terminal at the generator regulator and the + terminal at the starter solenoid.
Terminal 2 (A) is the accessory and goes to the ignition coil and the inline 3 Amp fuse for the voltage stabilizer for the gauges and warning lights
Terminal 3 (S) is the start and goes to the safety starter switch and the coil term on the starter solenoid.

Get yourself a service manual and it will have the general schematics in it to verify your connections. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

/ 1974 2000 series Ford ignition wiring
Hey skytracker, mine begins with a B. When researching this in the past I was told that this means that it was manufactured in England. I have a service manual, however, I may be good mechanically but, when it comes to electrical, I am not sure if I am just uneasy and afraid to cause more problems or what. If at all possible is there a wiring color code that I can get? Thank you so much for your time and effort. It is great to know that folks such as yourself are here and willing to help out. Thanks again

/ 1974 2000 series Ford ignition wiring #4  
Really pays to mark your wires before taking stuff apart...

Does your tractor serial number start with A, B, or C?? Makes a slight difference.
For A and B there are extra connections for lighting and horn

C for made in USA is:
Terminal 1 (B) is the battery connection and goes to the B terminal at the generator regulator and the + terminal at the starter solenoid.
Terminal 2 (A) is the accessory and goes to the ignition coil and the inline 3 Amp fuse for the voltage stabilizer for the gauges and warning lights
Terminal 3 (S) is the start and goes to the safety starter switch and the coil term on the starter solenoid.

Get yourself a service manual and it will have the general schematics in it to verify your connections. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

Actually you should have it. Look in your manual and find the schematic fot the A and B prefix tractors. The wire code and their connectionss will be a list near it
That also says for A and B type. Your mileage may vary if someone modified any.
If not already, you may want to get someone familiar with a. Muitimeter to help you verify the connections.

/ 1974 2000 series Ford ignition wiring #5  
5 poles for a gasser sounds a bit to much, perhaps you have got the wrong ignition switch?
How many positions are there when you turn the key?
A diesel with Thermostart uses a switch with 5 poles and more positions than needed for a gasser.
If it looks like this you have one of those: http://www.veterandelar.net/Archive/Bilder/ProduktPdf/ANV049.pdf

What CNH part number is it? Correct number is 81806736.

Ask your CNH dealer for a wiring diagram.

Hi, It is a 5 blade for sure. I stupidly disconnected the wires when I began replacing it. The original had 11 blades. The replacement has 7 numbered 1 thru 5. The part number is 82849085. The switch has 3 positions. Off, acces. and start. It turns one position from off, clockwise to acces. and a third to start which springs back to the acces. position. The one pictured in your pdf. file is not the original or the new one and the key is not the same.

/ 1974 2000 series Ford ignition wiring #7  

Attachments

• NH_1.jpg
    NH_1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 5,770
Hi Hakan Th, I went by my dealership today and the switch that I bought was correct. My original switch utilized 5 blades. Battery, starter safety switch, running lights and horn. I appreciate your help and know that you were trying to be helpful. I am not sure what the difference is but the 3 blade switch is keyed with an entirely different key and would have left me with two wires hanging. I guess it could be because it was manufactured in England and meant for the U.S. Who knows, I just want you to know that your help is appreciated and I have it put together and running again. If it was not for folks such as yourself out here, there would be a lot of "Dumb ars's" like me out here with no other alternative but to pull their hair out. Hey, send me a Swedish Lady! Just joking!!! Have a great day and thanks again. "Dumb Ars"

/ 1974 2000 series Ford ignition wiring #9  
i know in england.. they road their tractors alot. thus running lamps and horn may be a necescity.