Ford 1520 ignition problem

/ Ford 1520 ignition problem #1  

double hunter

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 1715
New to me Ford 1520, just bought this tractor, previous owner must have had problem with ignition sw, found all this when I got it home, previous owner changed the sw out and used and 3 prong sw with a start button, he left the glow plug wires disc, that configuration worked good unless it it cold and it wouls crank, just had to keep grinding on the starter, I found the origianl start sw in the tool box and reconnected it, not getting fire to the starter solenoid, I have the sw to where I can check for voltage with a test pick, I have voltage to the proper lug from the battery, I have voltage to the glow plug leads when the key is turned to the left, I voltage to the ac lugwhen the key is in the start position, I have voltage to the start lug when the key is turned to the start position, I ran a jumper from the start lug to the starter solenoid and the the tractor will crank and run as long as the key is in start position, I checked for voltage at the engine stop solenoid and it is voltgae there when the key is in the start position but goes away when the key is returned to the run position, one of my questions there supposed to be voltage on the start lug when the key is in the run possiton thus proving current to the engine stop solenoid, I thought maybe the neutral safety sw was bad and jumper around that at the conn going back to safety sw, if ther is supposed to be voltage on the start lug of the sw I amy have a bad ig sw, if not I mahe a problem somewhere else, this is a lot of info, any help will be appreciated this is starting to give me a headache

/ Ford 1520 ignition problem
Just a follow up, I replaced the sw with the proper one and still would not crank, the previous owner replaced the seat ( I think it had a safety sw under it, also the neutral sw was not working, the end result was I was not getting voltage to the fuel solenoid cut off when the sw was in the run position, I ran a wire from the ac position on the new sw to the fuel cutoff and this kept it pulled up, I then instsalled a push to start button to furnish battery to the ssarter solenoid, the new sw provides voltage torthe glow plugs and although its not wired according to factory specs i got it to where I can get it started in cold weather and it does fire right up now.

/ Ford 1520 ignition problem #3  
Glad to hear you have made it work for now.

Hopefully, when it warms up and you get some time you can figure out the original circuit with the ignition switch.