TC35 power loss

/ TC35 power loss #1  

LabLuvR

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400
I purchased a TC35 back in the late summer. It has the hydro stat transmission. I love it but have to wonder whether it is normal for the tractor to lose, what seems to me like a lot of power going up small hills. If I put it in range 1 it does pretty good, but in range 2 it really seems to lose power very easily on even the smallest of hills. Is this typical? Thanks!

/ TC35 power loss #2  
I have a TC30 9x3 manual. The engine is solid. I am guessing- have you changed the hydraulic filter/ fluid? Is something restricting the flow?
On mine the higher gears require more rpm. ...like I said I am guessing- only driven a hydrostatic a couple of times.

/ TC35 power loss #3  
We used to have a TC35 but it also had a mechanical tranny, 12x12. It was a little gutless in high range, especially with any kind of load. I would check the hydraulic filter though. We just traded it this summer and it had 3800hrs on it and we had little trouble over 11 year we had it.

/ TC35 power loss
The machine I bought was like brand new with only 386 hours. Could the filter still a problem?

/ TC35 power loss #5  
Not sure, depends on the conditions I guess and if you've used any hydraulic attachments that may have dirty oil in them. Does it have any remotes? Like I said before, our's was a mechanical tranny not hydro so I can't really say for sure. I do know the filter was like $75.

/ TC35 power loss #6  
I have a DX 33 which is the chassis size smaller, but only 2 hp less. I've got a 3 speed diff, but 3rd gear is pretty useless unless you're going to be on the road. Even small hills with a load and she starts to sound unhappy. I'm sure that Jinman will be able to verify this, but I think that you're doing just fine.

/ TC35 power loss #7  
My TC40 has gears, 12X3. The only time I use high range is on the road in High-3/4, or running down a smooth lane in maybe High-2. I would think using the mid-range out of three, you should have a bit more power than you describe. What rpm are you using? It should be at least 1700-2000 for normal power.

I would look at engine power stuff like the primary and secondary air filters, fuel filter. If you have normal movement and power in your FEL or three-point, I don't think the hydraulics have much to do with what you are describing.

Edit: Oops, my bad. I got the OP mixed up with tcreeley's tractor. Check the fuel and air filters anyways if you haven't recently :laughing:

Last edited:
   / TC35 power loss #8  
I've got a TC33D Hydro and it does fine on hills...as long as I don't mash on the "accelerator". Backing off the foot pedal a bit increases the torque applied to the wheels.
I normally run in range II at about 2k RPM's and just don't try to speed up the hills. I'll bet if you increase the RPM's and back off the pedal a little you'll find the engine won't squawk as much.

/ TC35 power loss
Okay, let's assume the filters are all good, as my loader works just fine. Is the decrease in power going up hills a function of having the hydro transmission? I did not notice the same power loss in my Kubota GST which is about the same horsepower. Thanks!

/ TC35 power loss #10  
Okay, let's assume the filters are all good, as my loader works just fine. Is the decrease in power going up hills a function of having the hydro transmission? I did not notice the same power loss in my Kubota GST which is about the same horsepower. Thanks!

I'm thinking I detect a user who is talking about his first HST. Am I right, LabLuvR? Your tractor has three transmission ranges. The third range is only a 'road gear' in my opinion. In range II, you should be able to do non-draft loads like mowing and travelling over rough terrain without a big load. When you come to a hill, mentally force yourself to not press on the HST pedal if you need more power. Increase the engine speed and slightly back off the pedal. As an HST owner, you just have to get used to setting your engine's rpm higher and not use the HST pedal like a gas pedal. Most people coming from the gear tractor world just don't want to set the engine rpm up around 2500 and leave it there. That is what you have to do with an HST to get the full advantage of the power. Set the engine rpm up and back off the HST pedal when more power is needed. If the tractor still stalls with minimum HST pedal, then shift into range I. You just have to change your thinking a bit on HST tractors. If you are used to gear tractors, it sure takes some getting used to on a HST model. The learning process is counterintuitive.