Ice in hydraulic fluid.

/ Ice in hydraulic fluid.
I pulled her into the garage. Probably wait a couple days, then check the fluids.

/ Ice in hydraulic fluid. #12  
My understanding of hydrolic oil types of reaction to water is 1. Collection of moisture or gel like appearance in oil sample or 2. Dispersing moisture giving and giving it a milky appearance. ( also hytran is case ih name for their hydrolic oil and it will gel if water gets in the system. Anyone feel free to correct me if I have any of the above wrong.

/ Ice in hydraulic fluid. #13  
most likely it's not ice. the fluid's viscosity increases as the temp decreases. what you probably hear is the hyd pump cavitating - the fluid won't flow fast enough from the reservoir through the suction side to the pump. the pump pulls, reducing the pressure & causes the fluid to 'boil' even at very low temperaature. as the fluid warms, the 'buzzing' noise goes away. run the engine at LOW rpm & allow the fluid time to warm up. GRADUALLY increase the rpm (over the period of 30 or so minutes) until the fluid warms.
If you're not sure when it was last changed however, I'd change it and the filter as a prophylactic measure. good luck sir

/ Ice in hydraulic fluid. #14  
I have a 1999 New Holland TC33. I live in KY. It has been cold the last couple of days. I keep my tractor in the barn. When I went to start it and take it out, I noticed the power steering was frozen. I checked the fluid and noticed that the level was low. I freed the steering by tapping on the steering knuckles. The next morning I encountered the same problem. Will topping off the steering fluid solve the problem or is there a additive that will evaporate the water that is in my power steering pump? This is the first tractor I have owned, so I will be relying on the people of this forum. I thank you for all your help in advance.

/ Ice in hydraulic fluid. #15  
I think that your hydraulic oil is getting thick since it is really cold out. There is some special hydraulic fluid for colder temperatures. No it won't damage anything. You may want the tractor to warm up a bit before use. That's all.

/ Ice in hydraulic fluid. #16  
Thanks. That is what I was thinking. After I let it warm up for a bit, things are fine and the fluid looks real clean. I will probably change the fluid in the summer.

/ Ice in hydraulic fluid.
most likely it's not ice. the fluid's viscosity increases as the temp decreases. what you probably hear is the hyd pump cavitating - the fluid won't flow fast enough from the reservoir through the suction side to the pump. the pump pulls, reducing the pressure & causes the fluid to 'boil' even at very low temperaature. as the fluid warms, the 'buzzing' noise goes away. run the engine at LOW rpm & allow the fluid time to warm up. GRADUALLY increase the rpm (over the period of 30 or so minutes) until the fluid warms.
If you're not sure when it was last changed however, I'd change it and the filter as a prophylactic measure. good luck sir

This sounds like a very good explanation of the problem. My question: can this damage the hydraulic pump and is your resolve of letting it run at low rpm the only fix for it?

/ Ice in hydraulic fluid. #18  
If you have moisture in your system, I was told, Seafoam makes a hydralic addative. As for cold fluid try a magnetic block heater placed on your fluid resivoir.

/ Ice in hydraulic fluid. #19  
raeuber - I'm sure that all cavitation causes some damage (not sure how much). There are two things that you can do about it: heat (garage or electric heater on the hydraulic reservoir) to lower the viscosity of the fluid or different, thinner fluid. Either way, lower viscosity will help to keep your pump from cavitation. IF YOUR TRACTOR HAS A SUCTION FILTER, it may be partially plugged causing lower pressure from the filter to the suction side of the pump. Changing to a new filter may help. Even on a warm day, it you run the pump too fast (probably impossible with governor on tractor engine) you can cavitate the suction side of the pump. Let us know how you make out...:)