Ford 1900 wont start...electrical?

/ Ford 1900 wont start...electrical? #41  
Okay. We assume pump is well. air is compressible and liquid is not. Displacement on you fuel pump is very small so it can pulsate a pocket of air without actually moving any fuel. Do check the air intake? keep the throttle at least 1/2 way, too low it will not start and too high will flood combustion chamber without starting specially when cold. Good luck:thumbsup:

JC,

I think the pump is ok. It did run for me a few times, and it ran well. The previous owner said it always ran well for him. This is my first diesel, so it seems I may have underestimated just how important it is to have every last bit of air out of the system, assuming thats what's preventing me from getting it started. If I have to take the starter back to the shop, I'll try turning over with a breaker bar to see if I can bleed. If that doesn't work, I'll wait until U get the starter back, and I'll try cranking at short intervals to bleed air out.
Mistakes are a good way to learn (though expensive sometimes). I can gaurantee that I won't abuse the starter by letting it crank endlessly again.
When attempting to start, should the throttle lever be wide open? I don't have it wide open last night when I tried, but I'm thinking I may have the previous time I started it.

/ Ford 1900 wont start...electrical? #42  
It almost sounds like a physical binding in the solenoid or drive. It'll be interesting what the elec guys find.
Jim

/ Ford 1900 wont start...electrical? #43  
JIm, I think solenoid plunger was pulled after crank either by switch or jumping. Since the OP kept it cranking I think the contact on the switch got real hot and fused causing a permanent short. it could also be the plunger spring on the solenoid got stuck for some reason leading to stuck switch contacts. We should learn before too long.

Jc,
It almost sounds like a physical binding in the solenoid or drive. It'll be interesting what the elec guys find.
Jim

/ Ford 1900 wont start...electrical? #44  
Remove the small wire from the solenoid and jump the solenoid with a screwdriver or jumper wire.If it keeps cranking after the jumper or screwdriver is removed the starter solenoid is bad. If it quits cranking when the jumper is removed you have a wireing problem. Do not use starting fluid with glow plugs. These tractors can be a PITA to get all the air bled from the system. You are at the point now that I would try pull starting it. Put both gear shifts in the highest gea rand have some one give you a pull.Set the throttle at about half and heat the glowplugs just before they start pulling you. keep the speed below 5mph. You do not need any electrical power to keep your tractor running.
Bill

/ Ford 1900 wont start...electrical?
Well, I am back in business thanks to all of your help. Here's a brief summary addressing all of the issues. Starting with the electrical, the solenoid apparently was damaged after the continued cranking. The solenoid was replaced under warranty by the auto electric guy, so that's taken care of. The old ignition switch was definitely bad. I've received the replacement, installed it and it is now working properly. While everything was apart i replaced a few wires and cleaned all connections so I should be all set now.
Regarding why the motor wouldn't catch after all that cranking...with this being my first diesel, I underestimated the importance of bleeding the fuel system and how thorough it must be done. Initially I did not know there were two bleeders on the filter housing and another on the fuel pump. I bleed these thoroughly then cracked each injector line fitting at the motor and bleed each separately while cranking...and that got me back up and running. I know have an inline heater installed in the lower radiator hose and between that and a couple cycles of the glow plugs, the tractor starts like it were a summer day. No need for ether at all.
All of your help and advice saved me time, money, and frustration. I'd still be out there scratching my head without all of your input, so I can't say thank you enough. I'll do my best to pay it forward as I continue to learn about my tractor and share what I learn on this forum.
Eric

/ Ford 1900 wont start...electrical? #46  
Cool Eric:) success at last:thumbsup: like anything else perseverance at the end will payoff almost always:cool:

JC,