Ford 1900 wont start...electrical?

/ Ford 1900 wont start...electrical? #1  

freebird4986

Tractor
FORD 1900 4WD
Hi all, I've got a 1982 Ford 1900 w/ 771 loader. I recently purchase it and have run it 3 times. The previous owner was using a screw driver to turn key switch and start it, so I was doing the same temporarily. The glow plugs work and it cranked just like it should. I went to start it the other night, held the glow plugs, then turned the opposite direction to start...1 short click and then nothing. I assumed the key switch had it, so I purchase a new one, hooked it back up according the the wiring schematic, and still the same, short click then no cranking. I've pulled the instrument panel up to get access to the wires (it's a mess) I see a voltage regulator and to other recepticles (not sure what they are) on the mounting bracket to the right and left of the regulator. There are some loose wire due to headlights being disconnected, cigarette lighter disconnected etc., but it doesn't seem that anything here is the problem. Could it be the solenoid on the starter? Not sure how to test it. Any advice you can offer is much appreciated.

/ Ford 1900 wont start...electrical? #2  
Clean the conections on both ends your battery cables. To check to see if the solenoid is working use a jumper wire or screwdriver to jump from the +post on the solenoid to the small terminal next to it. Make sure you have 12v to the big post on the solenoid when you try to crank it. Are any of the safety switches still hooked up.
Bill

/ Ford 1900 wont start...electrical?
Bill, thanks for the quick reply. I cleaned the terminals on the solenoid. There are 12v at the positive terminal, but when i jump the two terminals with a screw driver, I get nothing. Would this be a sign the solenoid is bad? There is continuity across the two terminals of the solenoid with the key switch in the off and on positions.
Also, regarding the safety switch. It is still hooked up to solenoid, and I wired it back to the correct post on the key switch. There is no continuity from the switch terminal on the solenoid to the post on the key switch, with or without the clutch pedal depressed. Thoughts? Thanks,
Eric

A little more info... I untaped a few more wires, I see now that the wire for the safety switch runs form key switch to one of the plugs on the mounting bracket behind the dash. Two wires at the plug are fused one leading to the tranny and one that is hanging loose. I'm guessing the previous owner did this to bypass the safety switch.

/ Ford 1900 wont start...electrical? #5  
It would appear that your solenoid is bad. Did you check the ground cable also. If you use a screwdriver to jump from the pos. terminal on the solenoid to the other large terminal you should hear the starter spin but not engauge the flywheel. If the starter spins then the solenoid is bad. If nothing happens and it doesn't spark you have problems with one of your cables.
Bill

Hmm, had a small spark, then nothing across the two large terminals. No spin, and can't even get it to spark anymore

/ Ford 1900 wont start...electrical? #7  
Sounds like maybe a weak or dying battery?

I suspected the battery initially, so I charged it all morning. I should have mentioned that. Charger read 100% charged. If it was dead and not taking a charge, the charger would not show fully charged, or could it?

Last edited:
   / Ford 1900 wont start...electrical? #9  
Can you swap in a known good battery? I agree with others (and you) that energizing the small terminal on the starter should spin the starter and/or spin & engage the starter to the flywheel. A starter rebuild is not difficult: bushings, brushes, and a good scrub. Of course, the solenoid could be ng.
Jim

/ Ford 1900 wont start...electrical? #10  
Hmm, had a small spark, then nothing across the two large terminals. No spin, and can't even get it to spark anymore

If you can do it, hook the volt meter to the solenoid and the jump the solenoid and watch the voltage. A bad battery can show fully charged. Turn the head lights on and try jumping the solenoid.
Bill