Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start!

/ Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start! #11  
It always trips us up how in your part of the world 'Gas' means something different from over here :) Yes it's a diesel tractor. As you look at the injector pump can I assume that forward in this case would be with the lever pushed all the way to the right and cutoff would be with the lever pulled all the way to the left? (Bear with me a little Guys.. the transition from ledgers and laptops to spanners and overalls is taking a little longer than I'd expected :) )

jak,

I got all your pics and what you thought of a carburetor is actually a multiport fuel injection pump obviously for diesel. You do not have spark plugs, distributor and spark plug wires. I don't fiddle with any of the injector adjustment. I will be back later on with some suggestion. You don not have electronic ignition system and every thing is done by compression in the cylinders and heat of compression that causes the combustion.

JC,

/ Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start! #12  
It always trips us up how in your part of the world 'Gas' means something different from over here :) Yes it's a diesel tractor. As you look at the injector pump can I assume that forward in this case would be with the lever pushed all the way to the right and cutoff would be with the lever pulled all the way to the left? (Bear with me a little Guys.. the transition from ledgers and laptops to spanners and overalls is taking a little longer than I'd expected :) )

Jack,

Do you have a foot throttle in conjunction with a hand operated lever? if the foot pedal is up (it's natural position by spring action) and and the hand lever is at is lowest position (on some tractors it might be up and on some it might be down) then if you follow the metal rod that attached to the injector will be the lowest throttle position. push on the pedal all the way and it should manipulate the control all the way to the opposite. You might keep throttle at 50% for an engine start. Do you have glow plug? (it is not really an spark plug and it's only a heater to assist initial start. If you have it keep it on for at least 20 second to pre heat the combustion chamber. Give it a try and report. How is the condition of your fuel filter. first thing comes to mind is lack of fuel in to combustion chamber that can be caused by fuel not getting to injector pump and eventually injectors. That can be caused by restriction on the fuel delivery pipe/filter or bad pump or plugged or bad injector. Having air in the delivery system is also bad because injector pump can not pump out air and need liq fuel. Have you run out of fuel lately? Last thing you need to do is to partially crack open the nut at fuel delivery pipe to the injector, have someone else crank the engine and observe if any fuel leak out by pressure.

You need to figure out what's going on with your fuel system for a proper diagnosis.

JC,

/ Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start! #13  

If the front of the tractor is to the left, than moving the injector pump lever to the right would be cutoff (if you had a control cable on the cutoff lever, you would pull it out) and to the left would be the "run" position.

/ Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start!
JC that's where the plot thickens... the previous 'operator' got rid of both proper cables for the foot operated and hand operated throttle and 'replaced' them with wire... also the dashboard cluster clocks went missing. If the tractor is towed for a length of time she will eventually fire, but having invested in a new battery and a rebuilt alternator, it seems illogical to have to keep doing this each time I need to use her... Mechanics here are lethal when they sense that you're unsure of what's wrong with your tractor. A simple bleeding problem can become an excuse for 'rebuilding' your injector pump and half your engine, with the attendant charges to go with it!. a rough guide as to checking the fuel system would help a lot!

The front of the tractor is to the right. The injector is mounted on the right side with the alternator on the left

/ Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start! #16  
jak,

I understand, it's like you ask a vendor "how much it is?" and the replies "how much you got!! ". I know haggling is the way of life in your part of world, may be just little less of it here. Please answer the questions I had and share your observations to lead us in bleeding the air out of your fuel system. My question is toward getting he system bled out if that indeed is your problem.

JC,

JC that's where the plot thickens... the previous 'operator' got rid of both proper cables for the foot operated and hand operated throttle and 'replaced' them with wire... also the dashboard cluster clocks went missing. If the tractor is towed for a length of time she will eventually fire, but having invested in a new battery and a rebuilt alternator, it seems illogical to have to keep doing this each time I need to use her... Mechanics here are lethal when they sense that you're unsure of what's wrong with your tractor. A simple bleeding problem can become an excuse for 'rebuilding' your injector pump and half your engine, with the attendant charges to go with it!. a rough guide as to checking the fuel system would help a lot!

/ Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start! #17  
and calling that lever a choke is causeing problems... good grief...

it's a FUEL STOP.

out to stop. IN to run.

there is NO CHOKE on that diesel.. they are a fuel driven air pump with an open intake.

So. Lever facing complete left is stop and complete right is run?

/ Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start! #20  
jak,

Check your email. I sent you some more info. Review TCRTWRI link on thread #19 without download. increase the size of document by clicking on"+" for easy reading. It has good info, I'll look at it as well a bit later on.

JC,