Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start!

/ Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start! #21  
Jak,

what you sent me is the injector assembly. I have downloaded parts break down on cold start (glow plug) and couple of version of fuel system from NH website. Yo should have the same access from Africa. Check it out. I have it here so guys here might be able to give you more help collectively.

JC,

Attachments

• DIESEL COLD START, NHNA (65_) NH-E (65_7-74).pdf
    978.3 KB · Views: 309
   / Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start! #22  
more:

I have 1 meg attachment limit here. I'll email fuel system to you.

JC,

Edit:

Jak, there might be differences between rigs made for US market than others. you need to compare and contrast. You might got to NH website for continent of Africa also as regionally there might be some changes.

/ Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start! #23  
JC, I'm pretty sure he will have the UK version of the 5000. There doesn't appear to be any pre-heat mechanism in the system, neither glow plugs or air box heater.

/ Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start! #24  
I think you're right Tim. Pics he sent me does not show any, although he need to zoom it out a bit for better look. High altitude and in many part of Africa can get cold, so it seems "glow plug" would be advantageous both in Africa and England. There is a lot info on NH site and op need to compare and contrast what he got with NH diagrams. I hope he has access to the same info we do.

JC,

JC, I'm pretty sure he will have the UK version of the 5000. There doesn't appear to be any pre-heat mechanism in the system, neither glow plugs or air box heater.

/ Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start! #25  
The front of the tractor is to the right. The injector is mounted on the right side with the alternator on the left

There is something funny about the original picture in light of the OP's statement.The alternator is driven off the front of the engine as is the injector pump. If that's so, how can the front of the engine be on the right? What am I missing? The front of the engine should be to the left to by my reasoning.

/ Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start! #26  
There is something funny about the original picture in light of the OP's statement.The alternator is driven off the front of the engine as is the injector pump. If that's so, how can the front of the engine be on the right? What am I missing? The front of the engine should be to the left to by my reasoning.

the profile pic he is showing is denoting that the engine direction per the pic.. the front of the engine is the r side of the pic.

injection pump shoul dbe on the right side of engine.

generator on the left side of the engine

/ Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start! #27  
That's right. His other pics that he sent me indicates exactly that. His experience with the rig is limited as he newly acquired it in a very poor shape . Things can also get lost or added with translation. He sure appreciates any help he can get.

JC,

the profile pic he is showing is denoting that the engine direction per the pic.. the front of the engine is the r side of the pic.

injection pump shoul dbe on the right side of engine.

generator on the left side of the engine

/ Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start! #28  
Quote: If the tractor is towed for a length of time she will eventually fire,

My first thought is;

If you can tow a tractor trying to start, it must have low compression. If you tow the tractor for a length of time, the combustion chambers warm up
( like a compressor ) and she might fire.
If there is white smoke coming out of the exhaust, while turning over, she gets fuel.

Bert

/ Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start! #29  
jak,

Let's see if you have fuel available at the injectors. Loosen the compression nut at the fuel delivery pipe to the injector and have someone crank, see if you can see flow. Soundguy also had a good suggestion by pulling an injector and pointing it a t a cardboard while cranking to see if you have a good spray pattern. Diesel engine need good atomization of fuel sprayed in to the combustion chamber to help with the ignition. Combination of atomized fuel and heat of compression ignites the fuel when piston reaches just before TDC (top dead center). Bert's idea is good once you establish fuel flow and if you have the ability to pull start the tractor.

JC,

Last edited:
   / Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start! #30  
remember to keep hands away from pressurized lines. only use cardbaord and tools to manipulate the pressure lines.

fuel uinder the skin can/will kill you. be safe