Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start!

/ Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start! #1  

jakmagharibi

Tractor
Ford 5000
Hi Everyone

Help a feller out? Rehabilitating a 1974 Ford 5000 tractor. I can't recall the correct position for the choke when cranking her up? (admittedly the 'choke' lever in this case is some firm wire, but can't remember whether the choke should be to the 'front' when cranking or to the 'back') The last time she ran was Early November, but the climate temps here rarely fall below 17 degrees CELSIUS. Is it safe just to keep cranking? She has new oil in the case and a new battery. I have to fabricate a brace though as we fitted an alternator to be charging the battery. Any suggestions or ideas as to how to get her started would be MUCH appreciated.. Thanks!!

/ Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start! #2  
Manual choke cable has to end up to a lever/mechanism that moves the chock plate in closed position to cause less air and more fuel to be sucked in thru the carburetor. Follow the cable and manipulate the choke cable to visually verify where is the full choke position and the opposite choke fully open position is. On gas engines that I have hard time starting occasionally I spray just a bit of "starting fluid" that has higher flammability than normal gas to get it started. Never use Ether as it is dangerous and can damage your rig as well (I know many people have done using Ether and in my personal opinion it is not a good thing to do). Make sure you get spark at the spark plug while you are cranking. Take a spark plug off and short it against the block with the spark plug wire attached , have someone else crank while you observe to see if you get any sparks. Don't make yourself part of the ignition system as you might get an electrical jolt. Use a pliers and glove shorting out the spark plug against the block.

Good Luck and welcome here from Kenya and great continent of Africa:)

/ Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start!
Thanks JC! What would be a substitute for "starter fluid"? Would a mix that includes Kerosene do the trick? Will post photos of the choke so that it can be pointed out what is "off" and what is "on" . I occasionally feel like old earnie below What are YOU looking at.jpg

/ Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start! #4  
Mr. magharibi

I'm not familiar what is available at auto part stores in Kenya so it is difficult for me to say. You might call a few around if available to see if they have starting fluid, engine quick start in an aerosol can to be sprayed on. kerosene would not do the trick as it is a lot less flammable than normal gas unless it is heated.
is your gas fresh? can you verify if you have fuel in the bowl of the carburetor? is gas filter okay. Can you visually verify it? do you have a drain port at the bottom of the carburetor? if so why don't you open it to see if you have fuel coming out. There is a float and associated valve that open and close fuel to the the carburetor and it might be stuck.

JC,

This what I have used for my hard to start lawn mower, basically gas engine.

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...a=X&ei=jUABUfmjGcTC2QW9zoGQCg&ved=0CFQQ8wIwAA

Alternator.jpgChoke On.jpg
Thanks for your advice I will double check these. This Ford 5000 is a 12 Volt and we recently shifted from a gen (which was as old as I am) to an Alternator (shown here) Unfortunately I still need to make a bracket brace to hold the alternator pulley with tension (English is a 9th language but you can kinda see what I mean :) ) I've also showed the choke (with my steel rod 'Cable' ) so that You can advise what is off and what is on.

/ Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start! #6  
Hi Everyone

Help a feller out? Rehabilitating a 1974 Ford 5000 tractor. I can't recall the correct position for the choke when cranking her up? (admittedly the 'choke' lever in this case is some firm wire, but can't remember whether the choke should be to the 'front' when cranking or to the 'back') The last time she ran was Early November, but the climate temps here rarely fall below 17 degrees CELSIUS. Is it safe just to keep cranking? She has new oil in the case and a new battery. I have to fabricate a brace though as we fitted an alternator to be charging the battery. Any suggestions or ideas as to how to get her started would be MUCH appreciated.. Thanks!!

Maybe your hard starting is not caused by a fuel/air ratio issue.

I believe Kenya is at least semi-tropical so unless you are in a mountainous area, low ambient temperatures aren't a problem.

I'd suggest you check out the ignition system and the timing because they are more often than not a bigger problem then carburetion on spark ignition engines. You need FAT, BLUISH-WHITE SPARK, the color of lightning, at the correct time and the cylinder must be charged with the correct fuel/air ratio to start and run a gasser.

/ Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start! #7  
View attachment 299426View attachment 299427
Thanks for your advice I will double check these. This Ford 5000 is a 12 Volt and we recently shifted from a gen (which was as old as I am) to an Alternator (shown here) Unfortunately I still need to make a bracket brace to hold the alternator pulley with tension (English is a 9th language but you can kinda see what I mean :) ) I've also showed the choke (with my steel rod 'Cable' ) so that You can advise what is off and what is on.

Can you zoom out a bit on the carburetor. The picture was not clear enough for me. I went to NH website for Ford 5000 and I have connectivity issue with their parts site. I wanted to look at the carburetor they showed on line. I know there might be differences regionally with NH makes and model. Several people on this site are extremely well familiar with older Ford rig. I hope they chime in. I will look at the NH site later to see if I can help some.

JC,

/ Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start! #8  
View attachment 299426View attachment 299427

I just looked closely at the picture an that looks like a diesel injector pump not a carburetor! Diesels don't have chokes either and in fact that don't have a throttle plate.

Make sure you are getting fuel from the tank and past the filter to the injector pump and make sure that your air filter is not clogged. Forward on the cutoff lever is usually the run position and pulling it back is the cutoff position.

/ Ford 5000 EXTREMELY hard Start! #9  
Jerry,

That was my view of it too. Does not look like carb to me. I think that rod ties to governor. OP is sending me some pic for closer inspection. Had a hard time with NH website, part of their server was not working for me this afternoon. I can't believe OP would not know the difference between gas fuel vs diesel fuel. They might call both fuel simply as petrol.:confused:

JC

It always trips us up how in your part of the world 'Gas' means something different from over here :) Yes it's a diesel tractor. As you look at the injector pump can I assume that forward in this case would be with the lever pushed all the way to the right and cutoff would be with the lever pulled all the way to the left? (Bear with me a little Guys.. the transition from ledgers and laptops to spanners and overalls is taking a little longer than I'd expected :) )