No hydraulics... GAH!!!

/ No hydraulics... GAH!!! #21  
seafoam will solvate the water and allow it to mix with the oil in soloution, vs emulsion, or settling out.

it's an aid prior to draining, though will help the water evaporate during use. when the water is disolved, it formes an azeotrope.. and that will evap faster than water alone..

/ No hydraulics... GAH!!! #22  
Wow Joe! You really created a 'bun warmer' with that Reddy Heater. Nice job!:thumbsup:

/ No hydraulics... GAH!!!
Wow Joe! You really created a 'bun warmer' with that Reddy Heater. Nice job!:thumbsup:
Toasty buns are happy buns! :D Today, I picked up a pint of Sea Foam Trans Tune, added it to the fluid and did a little work with the tractor to get it mixed in the rest of the system. We're getting a deep freeze again this week, so we'll see how it works.

Joe

/ No hydraulics... GAH!!! #24  
Joe there is a screen on the hydro pickup its the large steel tube with a flange and bolted to the trans block, it could get ice cristals, or just a little plugged up with goop and since its soo cold out cant take the flow. same for the hydro filter. had to use heater on my fors and even a CAT 225 that was one large cold piece of steel.
also what vis is your hydro fluid.

/ No hydraulics... GAH!!! #25  
When I first bought my IH 544 I had same problem with the hydraulics not working when it got cold. I found ice forming on the screen by the hydraulic filter. I changed several filters the first couple of years....I should have changed all the hydraulic oil...but I haven't had any trouble for a couple of years now. Must have got all the moisture out of the system. Plus the tractor doesn't sit outside anymore.

Joe there is a screen on the hydro pickup its the large steel tube with a flange and bolted to the trans block, it could get ice cristals, or just a little plugged up with goop and since its soo cold out cant take the flow. same for the hydro filter. had to use heater on my fors and even a CAT 225 that was one large cold piece of steel.
also what vis is your hydro fluid.

I really have no idea what the viscosity is... It's what was in the tractor when I bought it a couple years ago, so I'm sure it's long since overdue for a change. I'll ask the local dealer which synthetic fluid they recommend when I get it all changed. I think they usually have a fluid change and service special in the spring, so I'm holding out for then.

Joe

/ No hydraulics... GAH!!! #27  
It's good to change hydro fluid before the machine makes you. But you know that.
Jim

/ No hydraulics... GAH!!! #28  
You could use a bullet heater to warm her up

It's been below zero for the past few days again, but today it warmed up to a balmy 9 degrees, so I thought I'd fire up the tractor to remove the drifts that accumulated last night, and to see how things work after sitting through a few more sub-zero nights.

The Trans Tune certainly lives up to its claims! As soon as the tractor fired up, I could hear the hydraulic pump whirring away, so I gave the lever a little bump so see what would happen. Everything worked right from the start!:cool2: I'll still change over to fresh fluid this spring, but at least I have working equipment now.

Joe

/ No hydraulics... GAH!!! #30  
It's your tractor Joe, but you need to change that oil at the first warm-up you can.....water/hyd oil does lots of damage you cannot see internally

If is was mine I would change it now (when thawed), then do a thorough cleaning and flushing again in the spring when you can do it right