Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Fordson Major Diesel, McCormick Deering W4, Ford 1510, John Deere L111

Default No hydraulics... GAH!!!

Okay folks, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Today, when I went out to blow snow, I started my Ford 1510, which had been plugged in for about three hours, let it idle @1500 rpm to warm up for 30 min, got on, pulled back on the FEL lever to raise it and... nothing. I knew it was a cold night, (heck, all week has been below zero) but today it was 9 above, so I thought it would be a good day to get some work done. I decided to let it run some more. 30 min later, still nothing.

To make a long story short, It ran for 3 hours. I was able to engage the PTO with no problem, but the hydraulics never budged. The power steering also wouldn't work. I ended up clearing our 240' driveway (4'"-12" of snow) with a push scoop!

Now I don't have a machine shop and I'm no mechanic, but I'm asking myself what the problem is. It could be water in the fluid, but the the fluid on the dipstick looks clear enough. It could just be thick, summer weight fluid and just never thinned enough to work, or it could be a bad pump. Either way, unless I can get the FEL and snow-blower raised, I can't even get the tractor on the trailer to get it into the dealer for a check-up. I'd like to get synthetic fluid in it to make winter operations easier, but with no warm weather on the horizon, I can't figure out a way to fix any of this.

Thoughts? Experiences? Advice?

Joe
    Fordson Major Diesel: Case 3-bottom Trip Plow, Case 12' Trip Field Cultivator, Kewanee 130 Disc, John Deere 1209 Mower Conditioner, John Deere 594LW Side Delivery Rake, New Holland Hayliner 273 Baler, 18' Spike-Tooth Harrow
    Ford 1510: Du-Al 105 Loader, "The Thumb" Grapple, Bush Hog RBC60 Rear Blade, Woods HC54 Rotary Cutter, Tarter 5' Heavy-Duty Hinge Back Box Blade, Buhler Farm King Y600 Snowblower

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Default Re: No hydraulics... GAH!!!

Can't see the viscosity making it not work at all. If you could get it warmed up inside, and everything started working, then ice blockage would be logical?
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Tractor
    Kubota B2320

Quote Originally Posted by dave1949 View Post
    Can't see the viscosity making it not work at all. If you could get it warmed up inside, and everything started working, then ice blockage would be logical?
    x2......
    2010 Kubota B2320 FEL & BH65
    If it ain't fixed don't broke it!

http://www.tractorbynet.com/content/...-month-wdchyd/

Tractor
    Fordson Major Diesel, McCormick Deering W4, Ford 1510, John Deere L111

I've been leaning toward the ice blockage theory. It's supposed to get up to 29f on Monday. If I keep the tank heater plugged in all day, plus put a magnetic heater on the gearbox, perhaps I can free something up after work. If it works, I'll have a pretty good idea it's water/ice.

Joe
    Fordson Major Diesel: Case 3-bottom Trip Plow, Case 12' Trip Field Cultivator, Kewanee 130 Disc, John Deere 1209 Mower Conditioner, John Deere 594LW Side Delivery Rake, New Holland Hayliner 273 Baler, 18' Spike-Tooth Harrow
    Ford 1510: Du-Al 105 Loader, "The Thumb" Grapple, Bush Hog RBC60 Rear Blade, Woods HC54 Rotary Cutter, Tarter 5' Heavy-Duty Hinge Back Box Blade, Buhler Farm King Y600 Snowblower

Tractor
    b7200 kubota

working fine before? probably froze up, likely in the filter housing or the pump . may damage the pump if you run it like that. in the old days people would build a fire under their tractor to thaw them out. need to thaw it out and change the oil and filter.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

They are expensive, but maybe a heat tape wrapped around the hydraulic filter and anywhere you could get on the pump area?

If you hold/bungee the FEL control in the raising position, might you jack up the bucket carefully? Same technique for the 3pt?

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1949 View Post
    They are expensive, but maybe a heat tape wrapped around the hydraulic filter and anywhere you could get on the pump area?
    My grandfather had a tractor that was bad about the pump and filter freezing. He used heat lamps, I guess like the ones used for baby chicks (chickens), they had a large bulb that produced a good deal of heat and a larger aluminum shield to keep things from contacting the bulb and direct the heat.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4100 HST /410 FEL, R4s

Yea I would think the pickup line is plugged somewhere with ice probably from water condensation in the oil. Gawd it has been cold. We are finally going to break out of it Monday might even make 40F by Wed around here. Can you follow external plumbing lines from the pump to sump? Heat gun handy? Snag the missus hair dryer? I would assume you could detach your blower if you really had too.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Quote Originally Posted by DT86 View Post
    My grandfather had a tractor that was bad about the pump and filter freezing. He used heat lamps, I guess like the ones used for baby chicks (chickens), they had a large bulb that produced a good deal of heat and a larger aluminum shield to keep things from contacting the bulb and direct the heat.
    I could see that working, throw a blanket or tarp over it to keep the wind out and heat in.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

yep.. check for ice.. I had an old ford that had hyds freeze.. plug the intake line to pump at the sump.

try when warm.

past that.. is there a strainer?

post back after heating

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast