Traction L555 Skid Steer now I need tracks. But I'm track ignorant. Need advice

/ L555 Skid Steer now I need tracks. But I'm track ignorant. Need advice #1  

Blastfurnace

Hi all,
I recently purchased a L555 skid steer and I am finding that I need tracks on it. The only problem is how do you research tracks? Are they sold by width and length? Where do you go to find used tracks and how do you know if they will fit your tire sizes?
I have a set of used tracks that a local dealer let me bring home but they seem to wide for the tires and with the wheels out as far as I can get them they will rub.

So if anyone knows all about tracks on the L555 please leave me a comment any and all opinions are helpful. Like is it worth using chains on all four wheels as opposed to tracks or should I just go the track route.

Is there a time NOT to use tracks?

Also if someone knows all about the different types of skid steer quick attachments I need to learn up on that also. I guess not all skid steers use the same size/style of quick-tach. Are the a series type of hitch like three point systems go by "category"?

Thanks

Mark

/ L555 Skid Steer now I need tracks. But I'm track ignorant. Need advice #2  
Here's a spec sheet: New Holland L555 Skid Steer - Attachments - Specifications

There are older proprietary skid toolbars (mounting plates), Euro style universal toolbars, NA universal tool bars. The NA universal toolbar is the Bobcat large size.
The smaller skidsteers & walk behinds do not seem to have a standard, as every brand has there own (that I am aware of).

Before I bought my hydraulic posthole digger I talked to our local Bobcat dealer (big chain) that rents tools. They were willing to swap the smaller PHD to the larger plate (my TN55 doesn't have the flow to run a larger PHD). I just needed to call ahead.

Following a lot of satisfied folks here that have put bolt on tooth bars on there buckets, I did the same. It is amazing how much work you get out of a bucket digging in hard ground (really, I shouldn't have been that surprised). I take it off when winter arrives (don't need teeth for snow).

If you buy forks (to me, the first attachment after a bucket), don't go cheap. And consider if you will want to move large bales of hay (buy forks with removable hay spears then).

I'd bet that if you looked around for construction forums you will find a lot more information on these things. They are pretty simple: 2 chains, a hydraulic pump or 3, some controls, steel, pivot points, and hydraulic cylinders. And an engine.

Looks like it uses the universal (for NA) tool bar mount. As far as I know, the only need/reason for tracks is for more flotation (muddy/wet ground).
Merely an opinion, but I would think that tracks would wear faster due to all the scrubbing when turning. I believe most folks use tracks only when they have to work and it's too soft.

/ L555 Skid Steer now I need tracks. But I'm track ignorant. Need advice #3  
Hmm, I looked up the specs for my little machine. They are way off for it, so I would look further to confirm you L555 specs. DO a search for 'L555 specifications' and I bet a lot of sites show up.

/ L555 Skid Steer now I need tracks. But I'm track ignorant. Need advice
Thanks for the info.
The reason I think I am going to need tracks is cleaning manure out of the barn. I'm told that without tracks its hard to do.

We bought a manure fork but it wasn't for the mounting style on our L555 but we have a metal fabrication shop so making them fit this machine isn't an issue. But these are manure forks. I will keep my eyes peeled for other types of attachments.

As far as hydraulic driven implements I need to get the flow rate for this machine and keep it handy.

Thanks again and if there are anymore comments on chains/tracks I will eagerly read them.

M

/ L555 Skid Steer now I need tracks. But I'm track ignorant. Need advice #5  
Tracks vary ALOT. I found a set of used Grousers (the best for construction type work, more of a bar style) on Criagslist. Loering brand are more of a plate than a bar and give slightly better floation, but less "dig" or traction. All the others pretty much fall inot these two catagories. I would NOT buy the cheap plate steel ones for $1600-2000. I found mine for $1000 barely used. They all do wearout over time, look for a slightly used set, dont worry about rust, look at the bolt holes for elongation/wear, that is where it occurs.

PS. Your skidsteer wil lbe a WHOLE nother machine with tracks

/ L555 Skid Steer now I need tracks. But I'm track ignorant. Need advice #6  
Tracks are not complicated at all. There are (track) widths for a 10", 12", & 14.5 this is part 1 in sizing for your machine (check you'r tire sidewall size) Next is the number of "links" needed for your machine, this can be found on the mfr web site or your dealer. The "Grouser" brand tracks have 2 positions for the connecting link allowing a good deal of (legnth) adjustment. Your machine may require the wheel spacers. They bolt on to your hub, then your wheel go's back on. You need to know your stud count, prolly 8 but check. I have run the grouser brand tracks and they are IMHO the best for traction. The Loegering track has a plate type const. that offers a little more flotation. Both good products and have been around for a while. There are lots of other makes now beside those 2. If your barn has a concrete floor, they will not help much & may even be worse. I'm quessing that you may be new to a SS and it does take a little time to learn how to get the most out of your machine.
I use the tracks for heavy dirt work or in wet soils & in the woods. When it is dry out during the summer, I'll take them off as they do a lot of squeeking when dry. They do help with tire tread life. I think it sounds like you need the spacers. The Grouser brand usually has their name cast into each "pad", if not post a pic.

/ L555 Skid Steer now I need tracks. But I'm track ignorant. Need advice
So I put this big post on here about track sizes and it seems I only THOUGHT I put it on cause I don't see it.
Here is my size question:
Picked up a set of used tracks at a local dealer. Took 'em home just to see if they would work. My tires are 10x16.5 but the tires measure just over 9 at the tread.
I am not sure what size these tracks are. When I measure them where the tread would contact the tracks it's just at or under 11.5" and widens out to over thirteen. So are these for 12's or 10's?? I'm thinking 12's but I'm not sure if tracks fit loose or snug.
Thanks for any replies.
M

/ L555 Skid Steer now I need tracks. But I'm track ignorant. Need advice #8  
Thanks for the info.
The reason I think I am going to need tracks is cleaning manure out of the barn. I'm told that without tracks its hard to do.

We bought a manure fork but it wasn't for the mounting style on our L555 but we have a metal fabrication shop so making them fit this machine isn't an issue. But these are manure forks. I will keep my eyes peeled for other types of attachments.

As far as hydraulic driven implements I need to get the flow rate for this machine and keep it handy.

Thanks again and if there are anymore comments on chains/tracks I will eagerly read them.

M

I have a sheet that gives the hydraulic flow at 13.5 GPM and PSI at 1900. Hydraulic HP at 13. Haven't verified this data.

/ L555 Skid Steer now I need tracks. But I'm track ignorant. Need advice #9  
They generally are loose (in width). It sounds like you have the proper width track for your tire.
Snow chains are also a good traction aid, much cheaper also.

/ L555 Skid Steer now I need tracks. But I'm track ignorant. Need advice #10  
The 'modern' NA standard mounting plates are not much. And if you have a fab shop, don't look hard to make. The only drawback is that the bucket you have would either need to be modified or replaced. Unless -- you made an adapter that would mount on your unit and allow the modern implements to fit it.