TC35 hydro no electricity

/ TC35 hydro no electricity #1  

Carykong

Platinum Member
Tractor
TC 35 New Holland and 52 Case VAC,LT25 Woodmizer logmill
Hi Forum,

Operated my tractor TC35 hydro yesterday without any issues. Parked in the barn overnight. Today, no start,no turnover,no dash lights,no lights, nothing anywhere. Switched good battery from my car. No joy. I have never accessed my fuse panel in the 7 years of ownership. Removed the two bolts with 1/2 inch heads that join the cowling under the steering column and pushed the ignition switch inward off the cowling. Yet the cowling seems firmly attached without a visible way to split the two halfs to gain access to the fuses.

Any suggestions on best way to access my fuse box? Comments in general?

/ TC35 hydro no electricity #2  
You don't have to remove the cowling to get to your fuses. Just unscrew the two phillips head screws on your instrument panel and lift it out. The fuses will be under the panel on the left side and covered with dust.

You could have a bad battery cable or connection, but before you start looking at the cables, remove the rubber cover over the main fuse just above the starter. If the 40 amp main fuse blew, you probably have a serious problem somewhere, but the first thing to do with your symptoms is to check that fuse as well as the ones under your instrument panel.

Also, the two bolts you removed allow the cowling to split apart, but there are two more bolts on each side under the hood. Raise the hood and look at the flat surface firewall. The lower two bolts are the ones you want. The top bolt on each side holds the blue plastic dash panel in place.

/ TC35 hydro no electricity
thanks Jinman,I will follow your suggestions and post back tomorrow. BTW, is the 40amp fuse a spade type,that I can just pull by hand for inspection?

/ TC35 hydro no electricity #4  
I don't think so... I think it is a special wire fuse (can't remember the correct term).

/ TC35 hydro no electricity #5  
thanks Jinman,I will follow your suggestions and post back tomorrow. BTW, is the 40amp fuse a spade type,that I can just pull by hand for inspection?

The fuse is the extra large spade type available at your local auto parts store. I've had a few electrical related problems, but haven't blown that fuse yet.

/ TC35 hydro no electricity #6  
Yep, it's a big 'un. They call them maxi-fuses.

BTW: The main thing that can blow the main fuse is glow plugs. Anything else will normally have a burning smell and smoke that identify insulation getting very hot. A shorted ignition switch can also cause a problem with that fuse, but the ignition switch is normally melted internally when that happens. If the fuse is okay and none of the lights work, look to fuse #7 or #4.

Tractor friends,

Followed your suggestions,Jinman, 40amp fuse good. Battery ground cable clean and bright on both ends,clean and sanded the ends anyway. Opened the dash panel. Behold a mouse nest right on top of the fuse panel. Checked first fuse starting from the right. It was good. Second fuse 10amp from right was bad. Is that the famous #2 fuse? Replaced. All good now. Operated tractor today without incident. Suspect the mouse nest exposed the panel to moisture and mild corrosion. I am going to go back and blow out the dusty wiring behind my dash and spray the fuse panel down with some CRC electrical spray.

Thx for all the help and replies.

/ TC35 hydro no electricity #8  
Second fuse 10amp from right was bad. Is that the famous #2 fuse? Replaced. All good now.

So, it was a good day near Williamsburg, huh? Yep, that would be the infamous #2 fuse. It should have not stopped your lights though. When it blows, normally you see the PTO lamp illuminated even though the PTO is disengaged. That's the biggest clue. The tractor seems dead because it won't even attempt to start, but the headlights should have worked. Doesn't matter 'cause you fixed it and all is good.:thumbsup: I would not do anymore than blow air in the area around the fuses to clean there. Maybe a bit of wiping and blowing air. I'd recommend staying away from any liquid cleaner. Get the mouse stuff out, but all our tractors are dusty in there.

thx Jinman for advisory. I am thinking I may have experienced two faults at the same time? Poor ground and blow #2. Anyway, I am up and running,whatever. If you are ever in Williamsburg,let me know. Cold beverages are always available at my home. cheers,Cary