TC40 4WD stuck in the mud!

/ TC40 4WD stuck in the mud! #1  

cvpuser

Tractor
2002 TC40
I got my TC 40 so stuck in the mud that I had to get a neighbor to bring his old Ford tractor down to pull me out. We pulled it out in reverse, and I noticed that my front wheels weren't pulling, even though I had the 4WD engaged. When I shifted to a forward gear, they started pulling fine. When I went back into reverse, they weren't pulling again. Any idea why this would be??

Thanks
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ TC40 4WD stuck in the mud! #2  
Odd.. when I stuck my NH 1920 to the axles, my 4wd was working fine... both directions...

I havn't seen shop drawings of the differences of front end designs.. but would have thought the front axles worked similar...

Maybee someone else can clue us in..

Soundguy

/ TC40 4WD stuck in the mud! #3  
On my Class II Boomer 4wd works in both forward and reverse (HST). I know because I was moving a lot of limestone this past Sunday and I needed 4wd to be able to load the FEL since the rear tires would begin to spin as I pushed into the pile. Then needed it to back away for the same reason until I got on a paved road. A FEL-full of limestone would unload the rear tires just enough that they had trouble getting traction on anything except pavement.

/ TC40 4WD stuck in the mud! #4  
Boy, if my 4wd didn't work in reverse, I would have been stuck many times. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ TC40 4WD stuck in the mud! #5  
Something is wrong. My TC40D works forward and reverse in 4WD. It should be work in both forward and reverse. I looked in my service manual and it is not one of the problems described in the troubleshooting guide, so it must not be that common.

Its failure is possibly why you got stuck. Hopefully, it wasn't a result of trying to free yourself.

Mark

/ TC40 4WD stuck in the mud!
Here's a photo my neighbor took of my stuck tractor.

Attachments

• 295329-IMG_0541 (2).JPG
    295329-IMG_0541 (2).JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,499
   / TC40 4WD stuck in the mud! #7  
You call that stuck /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif That is kids play. When you get the platform down to the ground level then you can say you are stuck /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I did that 3 times this year /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif twice with the TN and once with the 1920. Had to get the neighbors Int. 1486 to pull me out the one time as I had the 12' disc hooked up and the hitch was buried under the muck as well as most of the disc /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I need a bigger tractor /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

As for your 4wd problem, I don't know how it works for sure but the 1920 kicks out of 4wd when I have a heavy load in the loader going backwards up a slight incline. I remember Ford had problems with their truck 4wd's because when people would plow with them they would constantly switch from forward to reverse and every time it had to kick out and back in to go the other direction and it tore up the front ends on the trucks. I figure the 1920 has a similar problem with the way the gears are that any load on the front end in reverse would kick it out. Not too worried about it though as I use the TN for most of the loader work but could be something similar to your problem.

/ TC40 4WD stuck in the mud! #8  
Interesting... When I was looking at Deere's - the Deere dealer told me the NH tractors (Boomers) did not have FWD in reverse - then the NH dealer told me the same thing about the Deere. I think there is something to this and it is just that someone with the right knowledge base has not responded to this thread. For what it is worth - the Deere dealer explained that he had demo'd this issue with a Boomer at the local fairgrounds. In any case - I think my TC25D FWD works in reverse - but admit that I plan to pull a seriously heavy load this weekend to test it out.

/ TC40 4WD stuck in the mud!
Well, for your information /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif the photo was taken before we started to pull it out. As we began to pull, it dug itself in right up to the frame on the right (downhill) side. The left (uphill) tires remained on firm ground, which means that the darn thing was nearly ready to roll right on over into the water. I can't believe how soft that mud was on the right side. We actually chained the left side FEL frame to the nearby dock to keep it from rolling over as we pulled on it. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

It was a very stressful mess.

/ TC40 4WD stuck in the mud! #10  
Jack your tractor up all 4's and spin each wheels by hand with 4wd on and off see what happens. 4wds suppose to work in rev. for loader operation etc..