4630 stuff..

/ 4630 stuff.. #1  

Max Thomas

Tractor
4630 Ford
Possible that putting non manufacturers oil in tranny could cause seal failure at Pto? Bought oil at Fisher AP.... Amalie brand supposed to meet mfgr's specs...changed in May and discovered slow drip onto drawbar last week.
1100hrs total on tractor, little use past 6 years less than 50 per.

How difficult to replace seal?

How much rear wheel weight ballast do most folks run with front end loader on these tractors...presently have fluid, but with 1000 lb bale on loader, it gets difficult to get around on damp ground...ordered 300 lbs (150#per wheel) will he be adequate?

Any help greatly valued.

/ 4630 stuff.. #2  
Typically, a non-mfgr oil will not cause a seal leak. I"m not familiar enough with that specific tractor to tell you for sure how hard the seal relacement would be, but typically it's not terrible on something like that.
Really, only 3 things cause seals to leak.
1. Improper installation. Since you've got 1,100 hours on the tractor and it just now started leaking...I would rule that one out.
2. Worn parts. This is possible. When you pull the seal, make sure that the shaft isn't worn around the seal etc.
3. (and the most likely). Clogged vents cause pressure to build up, and it has to go somewhere. I'd replace the seal, and check your vents to make sure that they are not plugged up with dirt.

Ballast weight is a personal thing. As much as you need without it being too much is always the right answer. Having a heavy implement on the back usually helps quite a bit also.

/ 4630 stuff.. #3  
Possible that putting non manufacturers oil in tranny could cause seal failure at Pto? Bought oil at Fisher AP.... Amalie brand supposed to meet mfgr's specs...changed in May and discovered slow drip onto drawbar last week.
1100hrs total on tractor, little use past 6 years less than 50 per.

How difficult to replace seal?

How much rear wheel weight ballast do most folks run with front end loader on these tractors...presently have fluid, but with 1000 lb bale on loader, it gets difficult to get around on damp ground...ordered 300 lbs (150#per wheel) will he be adequate?

Any help greatly valued.

There is a trick in removing the independent pto shaft as I recall. I don't recall the actual details but there is a thrust washer or something that needs to be held in place when you pull th shaft.
RickB, a regular contributor here, will probably answer with the details. Otherwise don't attempt it without the factory manual.