Ford 1710 broke water pump stud

/ Ford 1710 broke water pump stud #1  

Smittysfordtractor

Tractor
Ford 1710
Hi im a new member, just got time to work on my 1710 3 cylinder diesel, water pump was leaking and tons of play in the water pump shaft. Soaked all the bolts for a few days with penetrating oil, needless to say two of the mounting bolts for the pump broke. So my question is there any tips anybody might recomend for removing the timming cover or any help would sure be apreaciated thanks.

/ Ford 1710 broke water pump stud #2  
Welcome to TBN. Sorry about your delima. I'm not familiar with your tractor. There are a few options. Drill the bolt and use an "easy out" while applying a good deal of heat first. Or if you can get the rest out weld a smaller bolt to the end of the broken one. After applying a lot of heat twist the bolt out. That is if there is enough bolt to weld to. If the area can survive some serious heat and "easy out" should remove it. This question would probably get a good response in a suitable area like your equipment. Good luck. -robert

Sent from my iPad iOS 6.01 - TNB v1.6

/ Ford 1710 broke water pump stud #3  
Welcome to TBN :)

I moved your thread to the Ford/New Holland Owning & Operating forum.

/ Ford 1710 broke water pump stud #4  
Before you drill out the bolt to use an easy out, get some left handed drill bits (McMaster Carr has them) to drill the holes. Often that is enough to either loosen or remove the bolt.

/ Ford 1710 broke water pump stud #5  
Before you go doing all of the drilling and welding.....
Did the bolts break off flush or down in the hole? If there's some sticking out, heat the part that the bolt sticks into (not the bolt) and try a pair of good quality vise grips. I've had great luck with that over the years. It sure beats "quality time" with the drill. :mur:

/ Ford 1710 broke water pump stud #6  
A good zoomed in picture will help to assess the situation.
JC,

/ Ford 1710 broke water pump stud #7  
A good zoomed in picture will help to assess the situation.
JC,

Agreed. I can picture doing it several successful ways all depending on the condition and access to the broken stud.

Sent from my iPad iOS 6.1 - TBN v1.6

/ Ford 1710 broke water pump stud #8  
Whatever you do don't try to use an easy out. I have rarely read of anyone having success with them, the vast majority have broke them off and that only makes the problem worse.The best way is to weld a nut onto the broken off bolt and let it cool before you try to turn it out. I have had good luck drilling an appropriate sized hole in a short piece of flat iron and then welding that to the bolt end. Make it long enough to work as it's own wrench.

The way the welding works to help loosen the bolt end is because when it's heated to such a high temperature, it expands from the heat and since the metal around the bolt doesn't reach near as high temperature as the bolt end and doesn't expand very much, the bolt can't expand radially so it expands in an axial direction. When it cools, it is free to contract in a radial direction so it loosens in the hole. That is why it is important to get lots of heat into it when you weld it and important to let it cool properly before you try to turn it out. Having a cup of coffee is a good way to time the cool down period.

/ Ford 1710 broke water pump stud #9  
Whatever you do don't try to use an easy out. I have rarely read of anyone having success with them, the vast majority have broke them off and that only makes the problem worse.The best way is to weld a nut onto the broken off bolt and let it cool before you try to turn it out. I have had good luck drilling an appropriate sized hole in a short piece of flat iron and then welding that to the bolt end. Make it long enough to work as it's own wrench.

The way the welding works to help loosen the bolt end is because when it's heated to such a high temperature, it expands from the heat and since the metal around the bolt doesn't reach near as high temperature as the bolt end and doesn't expand very much, the bolt can't expand radially so it expands in an axial direction. When it cools, it is free to contract in a radial direction so it loosens in the hole. That is why it is important to get lots of heat into it when you weld it and important to let it cool properly before you try to turn it out. Having a cup of coffee is a good way to time the cool down period.

Welding is a last resort. High heat directly applied to the bolt does the trick. If the hole is drilled as it should be an "easy out" or bolt extractor will back the bolt out. If it's below the surface it's his only option. I have a nice high grade set of extractors and they do indeed work. Your mileage may vary.

/ Ford 1710 broke water pump stud #10  
I have done well with extractors but certainly a lot more precision work is involved to avoid damaging the threads you're trying to save. At times drilling the whole thing out and re tapping bigger hole might become necessary.

JC,

Welding is a last resort. High heat directly applied to the bolt does the trick. If the hole is drilled as it should be an "easy out" or bolt extractor will back the bolt out. If it's below the surface it's his only option. I have a nice high grade set of extractors and they do indeed work. Your mileage may vary.