Turbo charging an 06 TC45DA?

/ Turbo charging an 06 TC45DA? #1  

2Buckslake

Tractor
2006 New Holland TC45DA W/16LA Loader
Anyone out there ever tried to put a turbo on a TC45DA NH Tractor? Is there a kit available from any of the aftermarket turbo people? Or, is this just wishful thinking? Mine is an HST, and it robs quite a bit of useful power from the engine. I'm sure the fuel system would have to be tweaked too. I think that the 8N retro tractor that NH came out with a few years ago was a turbo charged 50hp engine, but I'm not sure its the same mfg. of engine like mine is. Anyone with thoughts on this wild idea?

/ Turbo charging an 06 TC45DA? #2  
The most important question I can ask you is what do you intend to gain by turbo-charging? If all you want is to gain power at the PTO shaft, then go for it. That's the only place it will ever show up. The list below addresses why I think turbo-charging is a waste for this HST model.

1. The power to the rear wheels of your tractor is controlled by the HST. It can only achieve 5000 psi of internal pressure before a relief valve opens. Your engine already exceeds the power the HST can deliver to the ground. Relief pressure is not adjustable and you would not really want to take a chance of blowing up your transmission. On a gear tractor, you might get some gain, but not on an HST tractor. Think of your HST like two people fishing with 10 lb test line: 1. A 75 lb kid, 2. A 200 lb man. The 10 lb test line is the limiting factor to how big a fish each can catch. The man's extra weight and strength do him no good because he cannot exceed the strength of the line without breaking it. Skill in the art of fishing is far more important than brute strength.

2. Your hydraulics are controlled by a relief valve also. Right now, it is set to 2500 psi. If you have more engine horsepower, you still will have the same power to your FEL and 3PH unless the relief valve is adjusted upwards in pressure. Because of the design of our tractors, there is only one relief valve. You can't increase the power to the FEL without the other hydraulics feeling the pressure increase. Those of us who have had blown pump seals at normal pressure ranges know that increasing system pressure is really a roll of the dice.

3. Part of what gives us the extra 5 hp over the TC40D/DA models is that our engines have a longer stroke. The cylinder diameter on our Shibaura N844L engine is the same as the N844 in the TC40, but with a stroked crankshaft. Can the engine handle more compression and boost a turbo provides? Maybe. . .New Holland has a turbo engine in the TC55DA as well as the Boomer 8N. Both of those tractors have different transmissions. I would think it would make more sense to find a TC55DA for sale and then tweak it a bit instead of tearing into your TC45DA to do something. You might find you can tweak the TC55DA up to 60 or 65 hp with success. If it doesn't turn out, it will be easy to return it to stock configuration. You can't say that about a radically modified TC45DA engine.

So, those are my thoughts. I certainly don't want to stifle your innovation, but I just think there are far better platforms for tweaking and testing than your current tractor. Those other options will let you build power that you can actually use at the rear wheels.

/ Turbo charging an 06 TC45DA?
Well Jinman, I pretty much thought that was going to be the answer. I wasn't sure about the power transfer from the engine thru the HST, so now I know. Thanks for your input, I think a larger tractor, ie (TC55da) would probably be a better way to go, considering I want the power at the wheels and more lifting/breakout force on the fel. My problem is that my tc45da is sometimes too heavy for general grass cutting, etc.,but not enough when doing things with the loader. It would probably better for me to have a skid steer loader and a smaller tractor for general grass cutting,etc. But, for me money is an issue, and would be expensive to have both! That's the reason I joined this group, for the many ideas and forums that help with projects that I want to do with my tractor. Thanks again for your insight, it gives me an idea of what the limitations of what my tractor can do in general!

/ Turbo charging an 06 TC45DA? #4  
Anyone out there ever tried to put a turbo on a TC45DA NH Tractor? Is there a kit available from any of the aftermarket turbo people? Or, is this just wishful thinking? Mine is an HST, and it robs quite a bit of useful power from the engine. I'm sure the fuel system would have to be tweaked too. I think that the 8N retro tractor that NH came out with a few years ago was a turbo charged 50hp engine, but I'm not sure its the same mfg. of engine like mine is. Anyone with thoughts on this wild idea?

Aftermarket turbocharging is a risky proposition. Success depends on the temperature capabilities and structural design margins of the engine components of the basic engine being turbocharged. And only the folks who designed and manufactured the engine know that and they usually "ain't tellin'".

Its just like "turning up" the injector pump. Sometimes you can get away with it , especially if the engine is a derated from a higher horsepower model.