NH TC45D starter

/ NH TC45D starter #1  

Professor Marvel

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 5000, Kubota 2150 HST, NH TC45 D, JD 375 Baby Skid Steer --- STUFF THAT GOES ON EM, Schwinn Stingray
Recently my starter has started to sound like when you hit the starter on a running vehicle. I assume the gear at the end of the starter has an issue and I need to replace the starter. Thoughts?
And, where is the best place to get a starter at a good price?
Thanks

/ NH TC45D starter #2  
It might be the spring return on the solenoid plunger is not allowing the plunger to retract completely causing the starter pinion gear to grind against the flywheel gear. Does the noise go off after the few seconds? You need to address it so you will not have irreversible damage done to flywheel, that would be high$$ stuff. A bench test of starter might reveal if starter pinion gear is retracting like it should.

JC,

/ NH TC45D starter #3  
I have had best luck with having starters rebuilt locally. I was fortunate to find a great shop. A LOT cheaper than a new starter...

/ NH TC45D starter
It might be the spring return on the solenoid plunger is not allowing the plunger to retract completely causing the starter pinion gear to grind against the flywheel gear. Does the noise go off after the few seconds? You need to address it so you will not have irreversible damage done to flywheel, that would be high$$ stuff. A bench test of starter might reveal if starter pinion gear is retracting like it should.

JC,
I release the key immediately and hit it again and it works fine. I am sure it will get worse and don't want to do more damage.

Last edited:
   / NH TC45D starter #5  
I also had mine rebuilt locally, small town battery shop had the parts and rebuilt it, said the parts were very common.

/ NH TC45D starter #6  
If it were me, I would find a reman source from Fleabay and compare that to NH. if you are handy with wrenching then you can not damage it anymore if you carefully take the starter off, open it up and check the innards. It might only need cleaning up the crud and rust that caused the pinion gear not return like it should. Your starter is working right now along with the solenoid. It might prove to be just a simple cleaning and oiling the moving parts. You can also check the shape of the gear that might suggest a replacement is in order. a new starter is a lot cheaper than a split and flywheel replacement.

JC,

I release the key immediately and hit it again and it works fine. I am sure it will get worse and don't want to do more damage.

/ NH TC45D starter
Just now I see a NH parts dealer has remanufactured ones for 199. They have 3 in stock. I should probably pull the old one and check it like you said first.
Thanks

/ NH TC45D starter
Thanks jinman. Thats even better. Have you ever used them?

/ NH TC45D starter #10  
Jim's source is great. At $104 and free shipping without a core is a no brainer. I myself never lose an opportunity to get in to stuff and break them apart. You'll need to pull it off anyway, I'd just give it a good inspection. I don't know where the oem is built but most of ebay stuff that is inexpensive is China made. I bought rotor for my van's front wheel, it was cheaper to buy that than have the oem rotors resurfaced.

JC,