3-Point Hitch Ford 1700 No Hydraulics

/ Ford 1700 No Hydraulics #1  

oldford1700

Tractor
Ford 1700
Haven't used the 3 point in about 6 weeks and when I went to put on a sprayer I find I have no function on the hydraulics. The gauge installed by the up down speed control dial thing shows 0. I can manually pull the arms up and down with no resistance. Fluid looks fine and is up to level.

The tractor is running fine otherwise.

My searches didn't turn up any troubleshooting sequence for hydraulics on this model so if someone could point me I would appreciate it.

It has been cold for AZ, (20s) but I let it run a good long while to warm up. And 20s isn't really cold by most standards.

Thanks in advance.

/ Ford 1700 No Hydraulics #2  
We got tons of stuff about hyd system on 1700 here @ TBN Blue. We beat that horse to death here on many occasions:D, Why don't you start acclimating your self a bit with the inner working. Look at the link below , compare and contrast and we go from there.

JC,

PS: Arm going up and down by hand without load on 3 point is a very strong indication of lift piston seal failure. That would be the best outcome as about $10 for the single nylon piston seal and at most couple of hrs of labor (if you have never done it before) it can be fixed. links below covers it in full detail.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ing/88973-sos-i-have-my-first.html?highlight=

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ng/90819-my-f-1700-testing-my.html?highlight=

Haven't used the 3 point in about 6 weeks and when I went to put on a sprayer I find I have no function on the hydraulics. The gauge installed by the up down speed control dial thing shows 0. I can manually pull the arms up and down with no resistance. Fluid looks fine and is up to level.

The tractor is running fine otherwise.

My searches didn't turn up any troubleshooting sequence for hydraulics on this model so if someone could point me I would appreciate it.

It has been cold for AZ, (20s) but I let it run a good long while to warm up. And 20s isn't really cold by most standards.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
   / Ford 1700 No Hydraulics #3  
OldFord 1700,

I just checked some of the old posts. Firstly I hope you're doing fine post surgery and in good health. Changing the seal is a very easy job. We'll help you along. Tell us where you are with the repair and we'll gladly help.

JC,

/ Ford 1700 No Hydraulics
That seal was replaced recently, though it could indeed have failed again.

Not sure why an internal search of this site turned up a bunch of stuff unrelated but a later search in google led me to some related posts on this site so I did find some stuff here and elsewhere to work on.

One odd one on another site without a picture says remove some bolt not specified as anything other than number 23 or 27 or something like that and see if fluid pumps out.

I'm guessing the easiest way to check the pump is pull off the out line on the pump, crank it over, and see if anything squirts out. Will that damage anything? That's my start anyway as next step is filter which means pull both lines off.

My gut is its a pump failure since I was getting some noise from the front end. Anybody have experience with buying rebuilt through the web? They are half the price of a new one through the new holland dealer.

I was hoping I could do a temp fix so I can get my work done then just rip apart the hydraulics and replace all the seals etc. This thing is a business requirement so I really need to push my combo CEO, CFO, business partner and spouse to consider buying something newer

/ Ford 1700 No Hydraulics #5  
That seal was replaced recently, though it could indeed have failed again.

Not sure why an internal search of this site turned up a bunch of stuff unrelated but a later search in google led me to some related posts on this site so I did find some stuff here and elsewhere to work on.

One odd one on another site without a picture says remove some bolt not specified as anything other than number 23 or 27 or something like that and see if fluid pumps out.

I'm guessing the easiest way to check the pump is pull off the out line on the pump, crank it over, and see if anything squirts out. Will that damage anything? That's my start anyway as next step is filter which means pull both lines off.

My gut is its a pump failure since I was getting some noise from the front end. Anybody have experience with buying rebuilt through the web? They are half the price of a new one through the new holland dealer.

I was hoping I could do a temp fix so I can get my work done then just rip apart the hydraulics and replace all the seals etc. This thing is a business requirement so I really need to push my combo CEO, CFO, business partner and spouse to consider buying something newer

Okay, let's find out if you have flow. flow can be found before or after pressure relief device. They both are going to be messy so be ready with a 5 gall bucket to catch most of the oil yo can. it is assumed if your pump is working. Pump that pumps some oil is not good indication of it proper operation as it might put out some gpm against no head but against a head might just not pump. Repair of that pump is about $60 if the gear or the case are not damaged.

follow the lines from the pump to the relief device. fat pipe is suctions and smaller is the pump discharge. follow the discharge till the pressure relief device. Remove the relief mechanism like the picture suggest. Don't mess with the spring adjustment, don't lose the conic shape valve. if the pump works, you'll have flow coming from there without much pressure. On mine when the pump failed no flow came out.

DSC07660_zps9319aefc.jpg

DSC07661_zpse48263bb.jpg

DSC03645_zpsf335da70.jpg

DSC04493_zpsf1826e3f.jpg

If you establish flow to that point , pump might be okay. No flow and the pump is bad.

if flow then put the relief device back in like you found it, open up the squared head plug on the lift cylinder head (where I put a pressure gauge there) to see if you have flow. this flow now is against the pressure relief causing of pressure developed over 2000 psi. Be careful, relief pressure before taking anything off. you can put a gauge like I did to avoid making a mess of things and that would be indication of pressure . you might have issue with the lift spool that is highly unlikely. report back with the finding and there are several other things you might have to do.

DSC07084_zps8ec8a72a.jpg

Good luck,
JC,

Thanks. If its the pump that narrows it down and I remove it with hopes a rebuild kit does it for me. Filter and fluid change no matter what I find.

/ Ford 1700 No Hydraulics #7  
Thanks. If its the pump that narrows it down and I remove it with hopes a rebuild kit does it for me. Filter and fluid change no matter what I find.

No flow and still it is not 100% that the pump is bad. The only filter you have is the suction screen in the Differential housing. Follow the suction pump from the pump to the diffy like pictured below. Have you removed the screen cartridge and cleaned it out. Plugged suction screen and your pump cavitates. Check all before yo run the pump , running the pump dry will for sure destroys it. anytime engine is in the pump is running.

JC,

DSC03647_zps10ef1807.jpg

DSC04172_zps21d22ace.jpg

DSC04173_zps0ac3e154.jpg

/ Ford 1700 No Hydraulics #8  
Your profile doesn't say where you are from so I will throw this idea out there. I you are in an area that is cold this time of year you could have ice in your hyd. system.. Hydraulics usually don't fail while the tractor is parked. If it was working fine when you parked it, it has to be somthing simple.
Bill

/ Ford 1700 No Hydraulics #9  
Your profile doesn't say where you are from so I will throw this idea out there. I you are in an area that is cold this time of year you could have ice in your hyd. system.. Hydraulics usually don't fail while the tractor is parked. If it was working fine when you parked it, it has to be somthing simple.
Bill
Bill,

He is in Arizona, although Northern Arizona can get pretty cold at times.

JC,

When I went to fix it, it miraculaously was working, BUT the filter was filthy so I'm guessing the problem was caused by fluid flow. Changed fluid, cleaned filter and all O rings and now works great - nice and smooth and more responsive than before. Always happy with simple fixes. Thanks for the all the info.