Starting problems ford 1990

/ Starting problems ford 1990 #1  

Brmosh

Tractor
Ford 1900
I'm having problems getting my ford 1900 started. I have replaced the glo plugs, rebuilt the starter. When I try to start it. I turn the key left for 30 seconds. The glo plug indicator is glowing. The engine turns over and fires, but won't start. White smoke comes out but it still wont start. I have bled the fuel lines just to make sure their ok.

I'm lost with what else I should do.. Do you think my timing is off? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Brmosh

/ Starting problems ford 1990 #2  
Which timing are you talking about. As far as valve timing since it is all gear driven (unlike cars that might be belt or chain) can't see that it could jump a tooth without a major damage to the engine and would be obvious. As far injection pump timing, there might be a possibility. do you see any tell tale sign of injection pump movement or lose bolts and nuts to the timing cover? Glo plug indicator light does not mean glow plug is working and only indicates electrical current going to glow plug. I'd take a glo plug off, use a infra red thermometer, turn the glow plug on and read the temp to see if it actually heats up. Have you ever over heated the engine? do you have antifreeze droplet in your radiator. Running engine with crack in head or head gasket can suck antifreeze in combustion chamber and causing white smoke at tail pipe. did this thing happen all of a sudden or gradually? how did you bleed the fuel line? did you do it all the way to the injector?

JC,

/ Starting problems ford 1990 #3  
I'm having problems getting my ford 1900 started. I have replaced the glo plugs, rebuilt the starter. When I try to start it. I turn the key left for 30 seconds. The glo plug indicator is glowing. The engine turns over and fires, but won't start. White smoke comes out but it still wont start. I have bled the fuel lines just to make sure their ok.

I'm lost with what else I should do.. Do you think my timing is off? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Brmosh

Do you have adequate fuel flow to the pump? Disconnect the line from the filter to the injector pump. Turn on the tank valve and see if you have adequate flow from the tank to the filter outlet. Fuel should gush out like a cow pwwin' on a flat rock. if it doen't, the fuel filter, the tank to fuel filter line, or the tank strainer is clogged. Have you bled the lines through to the injectors?

Is your airfliter clean? It takes fuel AND air to make the engine run.

/ Starting problems ford 1990
Do you have adequate fuel flow to the pump? Disconnect the line from the filter to the injector pump. Turn on the tank valve and see if you have adequate flow from the tank to the filter outlet. Fuel should gush out like a cow pwwin' on a flat rock. if it doen't, the fuel filter, the tank to fuel filter line, or the tank strainer is clogged. Have you bled the lines through to the injectors?

Is your airfliter clean? It takes fuel AND air to make the engine run.

I have checked the fuel filter and the flow is good. I bled the line to the inj pump. Then I bled the lines from the injectors.

I haven't checked my oil for antifreeze yet. I guess thats my next step.

Thanks for the information.

The glo plugs are working. I took them out and check each one. I have never over heated the tractor. I don't know if the person I bought it from had or not. I bought it about a year ago.

I don't understand what you mean by antifreeze droplet?

I ran the tractor about a month or two ago. Then it got cold and I couldnt get it started. I have plugged it in and the block gets hot. I guess I'll check the oil to see if there is antifreeze in it.

Thanks

/ Starting problems ford 1990 #6  
I'm just speculating that there might have been some overheating with the rig in the past causing damage to head gasket or cracked head leading to some pathway for coolant traveling thru head assembly and gotten in to combustion chamber. It just based on your statement of white smoke. Hard to start diesel with bad spray patten on the injector acting like having (rich mixture) that usually causes a bit of sooty black smoke till the engine gets warm. if head or head gasket is damaged there is possibility of having antifreeze getting pushed or sucked in crankcase system.

JC,

/ Starting problems ford 1990 #7  
Heating the glow plugs for 30 sec in not enough if the tractor is where it is cold. This time of year I will heat mine from 45 sec to a min. depending on how cold it is. If you have a block heater plug it in for about an hour then heat the glow plugs and try starting it.
Bill

/ Starting problems ford 1990 #8  
Just a few more ideas. How old is the fuel. Did you check the voltage at the glow plugs. I was having problems with my 1900 starting and found I only had 9 volts going to the glow plugs. The problem was a dirty conection on the coil that glows when you heat the glow plugs.
Bill

Well after a day of heating the block and adding a battery and a battery charger. I got it started. Thanks for all your help.

/ Starting problems ford 1990 #10  
ford 7710 won't start, think it is a safety switch but do not know where it is located. any help???