Tractor
    New Holland TC18

Default TC18 fuel leak

I have a New Holland TC18 with about 260 hours. Once I got it home and began using my new to me tractor, I started smelling diesel. After some investigating, I found that there is a small fuel leak at the injector closest to the driver's seat. The guy I bought it from said he noticed it a few years back but didn't think anything of it. I tried to tighten the nut that connects the fuel line to the injector but it didn't help. Is this something I can fix, or do I need to take it to a professional? I am relatively handy and have rebuilt the carburetor of a gas engine, but am nervous about working on a diesel Is replacing an injector a big deal? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

Default Re: TC18 fuel leak

Quote Originally Posted by girons View Post
    I have a New Holland TC18 with about 260 hours. Once I got it home and began using my new to me tractor, I started smelling diesel. After some investigating, I found that there is a small fuel leak at the injector closest to the driver's seat. The guy I bought it from said he noticed it a few years back but didn't think anything of it. I tried to tighten the nut that connects the fuel line to the injector but it didn't help. Is this something I can fix, or do I need to take it to a professional? I am relatively handy and have rebuilt the carburetor of a gas engine, but am nervous about working on a diesel Is replacing an injector a big deal? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    It's a tractor and not the Space Shuttle! Sure you can work on it.

The line may have a crack in it at the flare, etc. Take it a part and see.

Tractor
    Case/IH DX33

I'd clean up the area so it's not covered in fuel so you can more easily diagnose where it's leaking from. I totally agree with Jerry. It's a tractor.....nothing to be scared about.
    The forums are a great place to find information....but also a great place to find speculation. Only you can determine the real problems with your tractor. We're here to help you find the correct way to do it.

Tractor
    New Holland TC18

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll get after it this weekend