1963 Ford 4000 Backhoe 723 hooks.....?????

/ 1963 Ford 4000 Backhoe 723 hooks.....????? #1  

Frankdozer

Silver Member
Tractor
1967 Case 580CK Backhoe / Loader
On my new to me 1963 Ford 4000 Industrial with a Ford 720 loader and Ford 723 Backhoe 19-300 I have several questions........

#1. There are 2 steel loops welded onto the sides ( 1 left and 1 right ) of the backhoe main boom and 1 near the top of the boom facing the operators seat. Do these somehow take chains to keep the boom from dropping? I see the 2 stabilizer pads have chain openings to chain them together so they can't drop.The backhoe over night will drop to the ground if I put it all the way up and in and leave it for the night. Can I use the loops to chain it up and in to leave it until I use it several days later? And if so How?

#2. The backhoe pistons and cylinders have minor leaks. Enough to Bug Me. I was going to add Lucas Hydraulic Oil Booster & Stop Leak to the hydraulic fluid that runs the loader and backhoe. I spoke with the sales rep at Lucas and he said their Lucas Hydraulic Oil Booster & Stop Leak is the next best thing since the invention of toilet paper and sliced bread. If I pour it in the fluid container, how does it get all the way to the cylinders? I don't want to bleed the cylinder hose connections because of their old age and possibly breaking a fitting. Some of the hoses from the fluid container to the rear most cylinder are 20' plus long.

#3. When I check the loader and backhoe hydraulic fluid level, do I check it with the pistons extended all the way out or all the way in? And where do I check it......??

Thanks For Now, Frank

/ 1963 Ford 4000 Backhoe 723 hooks.....????? #2  
I would say you can use it to chain up your backhoe. How many cylinders are leaking? I would take them off and repack them if they were mine just so I didn't have to worry about it. If there leaking that bad and you use it enough by the time you paid for hyd oil from filling it up you could have paid for the parts to rebuild the cylinders. and I check the hyd level on mine with the front loader down on the ground out riggers retracted and the backhoe folded up. The hyd oil fill and dipstick is on the loader frame itself. If your sitting in the seat look to your left and there should be what looks like a breather pop it out and there should be a dipstick on it. The filter for it is at the bottom of the loader on the same side.

/ 1963 Ford 4000 Backhoe 723 hooks.....????? #3  
Could you get some pic of you backhoe showing the hooks and leaks plz.

/ 1963 Ford 4000 Backhoe 723 hooks.....?????
Here is the control but on the right side.......Frank

Attachments

• IMG_2909.jpg
    IMG_2909.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 1,759
HMMM?

/ 1963 Ford 4000 Backhoe 723 hooks.....????? #6  
Um yeah! Mine is a 1966 and it looks nothing like that so what I told you about the hyd tank and dipstick is probably wrong.

Anyone else know?

/ 1963 Ford 4000 Backhoe 723 hooks.....????? #8  
On my new to me 1963 Ford 4000 Industrial with a Ford 720 loader and Ford 723 Backhoe 19-300 I have several questions........

#1. There are 2 steel loops welded onto the sides ( 1 left and 1 right ) of the backhoe main boom and 1 near the top of the boom facing the operators seat. Do these somehow take chains to keep the boom from dropping? I see the 2 stabilizer pads have chain openings to chain them together so they can't drop.The backhoe over night will drop to the ground if I put it all the way up and in and leave it for the night. Can I use the loops to chain it up and in to leave it until I use it several days later? And if so How?

#2. The backhoe pistons and cylinders have minor leaks. Enough to Bug Me. I was going to add Lucas Hydraulic Oil Booster & Stop Leak to the hydraulic fluid that runs the loader and backhoe. I spoke with the sales rep at Lucas and he said their Lucas Hydraulic Oil Booster & Stop Leak is the next best thing since the invention of toilet paper and sliced bread. If I pour it in the fluid container, how does it get all the way to the cylinders? I don't want to bleed the cylinder hose connections because of their old age and possibly breaking a fitting. Some of the hoses from the fluid container to the rear most cylinder are 20' plus long.

#3. When I check the loader and backhoe hydraulic fluid level, do I check it with the pistons extended all the way out or all the way in? And where do I check it......??

Thanks For Now, Frank

#1, can not help u with that but it would be a guess that some added them so he could keep the hoe from dropping because of a slow leak down.

#2. When u extend and retract a cylinder, u replace the fluid in it with fresh from the reservoir. So after a few strokes all the fluid will be replaced.

#3 Makes no difference unless u have a single acting cylinder which I don't think u have. All of the cylinders on my 60s 4000 ind back hoe are double acting. A single acting cylinder would have only one hose connected to it.

#1, can not help u with that but it would be a guess that some added them so he could keep the hoe from dropping because of a slow leak down.

#2. When u extend and retract a cylinder, u replace the fluid in it with fresh from the reservoir. So after a few strokes all the fluid will be replaced.

#3 Makes no difference unless u have a single acting cylinder which I don't think u have. All of the cylinders on my 60s 4000 ind back hoe are double acting. A single acting cylinder would have only one hose connected to it.

Hi Cmore Thanks for the responce and more Thanks for the info............
#1. The hooks are factory welded / installed on the main boom. I've seen them on other backhoes. I do think that they are there for transporting it and also for leakdown / safety. I just don't know how they are hooked up with chains.
#2 and #3. Your correct........I just checked the cylinders on the backhoe and they are double acting.

So next week I shall, per Lucas's recommendation pour in their Lucas Hydraulic Oil Booster and Stop Leak to the fill reservoir. They want about 10% mixture, so with a 10 plus gallon capacity between the backhoe and the loader, I shall add 1 gallon of the stuff and cycle it for a while.
Unless someone convinces me otherwise...........Frank

/ 1963 Ford 4000 Backhoe 723 hooks.....????? #10  
Good luck Frank.

Mine has been good. Even if its kinda like driving a barge on land, has no brakes, loose pins and bushings and a few hydraulic leaks. :-<(). Les us know how Lucas worked.