Ford 1720 3 point lift problem. I need your HELP!

/ Ford 1720 3 point lift problem. I need your HELP! #1  

OldBulldogger

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1720 4WD
Hi, I need your help or suggestions. I have a 1989 Ford 1720 which has a 7108 loader on it and does have the factory rear remote hydraulics. Today I was using my Ford 3 point blower to blow snow. I use the rear remote hydraulics to rotate the blower chute. I had been running about an hour when I went to turn the chute and it turned quickly and then stopped. When I went to rotate it again, it would not rotate. I then went to lift the blower using the 3 point lift and I had no lift whatsoever. Any ideas???

My front hydraulics did still work and the loader did lift and the bucket would tilt. I was some distance from my place so I had to keep running the tractor to get home. By the time I got home, I could smell something hot and noticed the hydraulic pump on the side of the engine block was steaming. It was hot to the touch. Can anyone tell me what may have happened or what to check? I am concerned about the pump getting that hot.

Thanks.

/ Ford 1720 3 point lift problem. I need your HELP! #2  
I wonder if your diverter for the rear remote valve is stuck or in the wrong position. If you have moisture in the hydraulic oil you could have ice blocking somthing. The hydraulic pump smoking is not a good thing. Was the loader still working when you got home. If it was the pump is probably ok.
Bill

/ Ford 1720 3 point lift problem. I need your HELP! #3  
I had the same thing happen on my 1710 under different circumstances. There is a knob in front of the seat that sets the speed at which the 3PH raises and lowers. That could be turned all the way to the slowest setting and has locked it up. I think one side of the knob there is a picture of a rabbit maybe? You can also unscrew the knob and there is a spring and maybe a ball inside. That could also be all gummed up. After that there is a valve of some kind in that assembly that maybe frozen or inoperable. On mine in turned the knob in both directions several times and checked the spring inside. I gave the 3PH arms a few taps with a mallet. Once they started to operate again I never had another problem.

Hope it is that easy for you. Good luck.

/ Ford 1720 3 point lift problem. I need your HELP! #4  
I had the same thing happen on my 1710 under different circumstances. There is a knob in front of the seat that sets the speed at which the 3PH raises and lowers. That could be turned all the way to the slowest setting and has locked it up. I think one side of the knob there is a picture of a rabbit maybe? You can also unscrew the knob and there is a spring and maybe a ball inside. That could also be all gummed up. After that there is a valve of some kind in that assembly that maybe frozen or inoperable. On mine in turned the knob in both directions several times and checked the spring inside. I gave the 3PH arms a few taps with a mallet. Once they started to operate again I never had another problem.

Hope it is that easy for you. Good luck.

The knob is only for the rate of drop and has nothing at all to do with the rate of rise.

JC,

/ Ford 1720 3 point lift problem. I need your HELP! #5  
Well JC be that as it may that worked for me. Using the rake for a while it all of a sudden wouldn't raise up off the ground. What i posted worked for me. I did it based off suggestions I received on TBN.

Somebody also suggested I try and sit on the tractor and think happy thoughts. Maybe that would work? :laughing:

/ Ford 1720 3 point lift problem. I need your HELP! #6  
Well JC be that as it may that worked for me. Using the rake for a while it all of a sudden wouldn't raise up off the ground. What i posted worked for me. I did it based off suggestions I received on TBN.

Somebody also suggested I try and sit on the tractor and think happy thoughts. Maybe that would work? :laughing:

Buzz,

I too wished that thinking happy thought and doing the hockey pokey while standing on tractor seat would have some medicinal value toward tractor repair:D

Please refer to the link below and start looking @ comment #9. I have not looked at the inner working of lift system on your Deere but I am familiar with the Shibaura/Ford in their small utility class. There is two holes on the lift piston head that allow fluid entry in to the piston causing the lift system to rise. One has a spring and check ball that only allows one way in to piston /lift cylinder area. The return path is only thru a "needle Valve" that we call rate of drop knob. Obviously anytime the lift is raised fluid enter the cylinder area and as you lower the arm the fluid goes back thru the same plumbing to the lift spool valve and gets sprayed all over the diffy and back to the sump. Look at the conical shape of the valve in post #9 , by turning it (CW) it changes the geometry of the orifice (make is smaller) and consequently lower rate of drop.

That is exactly why everyone recommends it to have rate of drop completely closed to see if there is a leak down of the piston seal causing the lift arm drop when the tractor is not running.

JC,:)

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...over.html?highlight=hydraulic+cykllinder+head

Last edited:
   / Ford 1720 3 point lift problem. I need your HELP! #7  
Hi, I need your help or suggestions. I have a 1989 Ford 1720 which has a 7108 loader on it and does have the factory rear remote hydraulics. Today I was using my Ford 3 point blower to blow snow. I use the rear remote hydraulics to rotate the blower chute. I had been running about an hour when I went to turn the chute and it turned quickly and then stopped. When I went to rotate it again, it would not rotate. I then went to lift the blower using the 3 point lift and I had no lift whatsoever. Any ideas???

My front hydraulics did still work and the loader did lift and the bucket would tilt. I was some distance from my place so I had to keep running the tractor to get home. By the time I got home, I could smell something hot and noticed the hydraulic pump on the side of the engine block was steaming. It was hot to the touch. Can anyone tell me what may have happened or what to check? I am concerned about the pump getting that hot.

Thanks.

I think Bill has a valid point. Need to check if you get any oil in the tractor lift cylinder area. it will be probably messy. On the right side of lift piston head there is square head nut. if you take the nut off it allows you to put a gauge (liq filled , between 2000-3000) psi there. put a gauge there to see if you have any pressure there. you can alternately just open the nut up and turn the tractor on and have a bucket to catch the oil. an assistant would be great to have. if you have pressure and or oil flow then your lift piston might have totally come a part( that would be a very good out come as the fix is $10 and 1 hr of sweat equity). check what i suggested and let us know.

JC,
DSC07084_zps8ec8a72a.jpg

Last edited:
   / Ford 1720 3 point lift problem. I need your HELP! #8  
I hope that works JC. I had a 1710 before I bought the deere. That is what I had the 3PH problem with. I guess I just got lucky and it fixed itself, that happens. Thanks for the detailed explanation, that was very good of you to take the time. All of us appreciate any info we can pick up. I am sure Oldbulldogger appreciates it as well.

/ Ford 1720 3 point lift problem. I need your HELP! #9  
I hope that works JC. I had a 1710 before I bought the deere. That is what I had the 3PH problem with. I guess I just got lucky and it fixed itself, that happens. Thanks for the detailed explanation, that was very good of you to take the time. All of us appreciate any info we can pick up. I am sure Oldbulldogger appreciates it as well.

You're welcome Buzz:)

The 3 point lift can be finicky specially when it come to spool valve and components. Orifices and passageway for hyd system at strategic points are pretty small and prone to blockage. Moisture trapped in a right spot as it freezes can block the flow and magically can open up as it thaws. What concerned me with the OP problem was overheating of a hyd pump. That almost always mean either a dead head situation or cavitation due to suction blockage, either one dooms the hyd pump to major failure. Pump over haul is not a big deal as longs as gears and bushings are not damaged due to heat or lack of lubrication.

JC,

/ Ford 1720 3 point lift problem. I need your HELP!
I did try what BuzzardA19 recommended and tried turning the knob (that sets the speed at which the 3PH raises and lowers) in and out several times to see if that made a difference. It did not. I still do not have any lift. I do still have my front hydraulics working on my loader though so the pump must be working. I don't have a pressure gauge to try what was suggested. In my shop manual it states:

The following are symptoms which may occur during operation of the hydraulic lift system and their possible causes. Use this information with TESTING and ADJUSTMENT information when diagnosing hydraulic lift problems.

1. Hitch will not lift load. Could be caused by:
a. Restricted hydraulic oil filter.
b. Linkage out of adjustment or broken.
c. System relief valve pressure setting too low.
d. Safety relief valve faulty.
e. "O" ring failure between control valve and valve cover.
f. Oil leakage past lift cylinder piston seal.
g. Oil leakage pas lowering valve poppet.

Admittedly I do not know much about hydraulics so any advice would be appreciated. Has anyone had this model of tractor and had similar problems? All thoughts would be helpful. Thanks