Oil & Fuel TT55 New Holland Tractor will not start appears to be starved for fuel

/ TT55 New Holland Tractor will not start appears to be starved for fuel #1  

gilv

Tractor
2003 TT55 new holland
I have a 2003 new holland TT 55.
Iveco 3 cylinder engine
Injector Pump CZB 413 016

The last 6 months the tractor would loose RPM and stall and I would change the fuel filter blow out the line to the tank, bleed the system and restart. This would happen every few months and sometimes I would drain the fuel tank and metal pieces would was out. I assumed this was the problem.

It was running fine on tuesday and on wednesday it would not start. Engine turns over but no compression. I did the following:
-blew out the line to tank
-charged battery(it was low)
-loosened the bolts at the injector and verified their was fuel. Tried to use transfer pump to push fuel to injectors, only 2 had fuel coming out.
Still did not start
-loosened all three and started tractor to push fuel out and all 3 had some fuel coming out
-tightened bolts and it didnt start
-Didnt bleed screw above filter because it had stripped some and I screwed it in and it appeared to not be leaking.( has been this way for a while)

Still planning on checking solenoid on injection pump, fuel filter and maybe replace fuel.
Please help! Have to put out hay to cows..

/ TT55 New Holland Tractor will not start appears to be starved for fuel #2  
If you have fuel coming out by the injector lines, than it is not the fuel solenoid. If the fuel solenoid is stuck closed, you'd get absolutely nothing out of the injector lines. Some diesels have a lift pump... if that's broken it can cause starving.
Something else: Did you bleed the injector pump yet?

/ TT55 New Holland Tractor will not start appears to be starved for fuel #3  
I would jumper 12 volts to the fuel solenoid or check that it is getting 12 volts normally. Your intermittent problem sounds like a defective seat switch to me. After all the work with fuel, you'd think you would get at least a burp from the engine if it was just a fuel feed problem due to a clog. Are your glowplugs cycling normally on startup?

/ TT55 New Holland Tractor will not start appears to be starved for fuel
I normally bleed the lines using the transfer hand pump through the filter housing bleed screw. But It was stripped and I dont know if I need to fix it first. When I use the hand pump the screw doesnt leak and I get fuel through the line at the injectors. The middle one pumps the most and the other ones a little. 1) Is that ok? If fuel reaches the injectors for at least one wont it at least burp?
other questions:
2)the glow plugs work on this model by setting the key to one and it heats the air going into the chamber. That does appear to be working. Tractor usually starts without it. Do I need to use it even if it is 45 degrees?
3) Defective seat switch in the solenoid? How do I tell if it is working correctly? s2GEDC0479.jpg

3) I have loosen the injectors and cycle the engine and I get fuel out of 2 of them, Is this ok?
4) should I fix the filter housing bleed screw or just verify fuel to injector bolt?
The bigest question is I cant understand why the engine is not even trying to start when their is at least a little fuel.
Thanks for your help

/ TT55 New Holland Tractor will not start appears to be starved for fuel #5  
You said that there was no compression. Do you mean that? Did you check the compression? If there is no compression, it won't ever start. You have to begin thinking about what is wrong with the internal engine parts. Does it have a lot of time on the engine?

/ TT55 New Holland Tractor will not start appears to be starved for fuel #6  
Yeah,NO compression? Something's bad wrong,then.
Have you checked the inlet screen on the injector pump? don-ohio

/ TT55 New Holland Tractor will not start appears to be starved for fuel #7  
Well... I doubt that the stripped bleeder screw in the filter housing is tight. If the pump is sucking air through it, it will be hard to start. If the tractor has a seat witch, then jumper the 2 wires together. This way the tractor thinks there is always some one sitting on the seat. I had one instance, where I did get some fuel out of the injector lines, but wasn't enough, until I opened the bleeder screw on the injector pump. It could be that part of the injector pump is air locked. Anyhow all the lines should give roughly the same amount of diesel.
The only way to proper bleed a diesel injector pump is by opening the bleeder screw and cranking the tractor or have a inline fuel pump come on. Having fuel coming out of only 2 lines and not all 3, there is trouble some were... hopefully not the injector pump.

/ TT55 New Holland Tractor will not start appears to be starved for fuel #8  
I have a 2003 new holland TT 55.
Iveco 3 cylinder engine
Injector Pump CZB 413 016

The last 6 months the tractor would loose RPM and stall and I would change the fuel filter blow out the line to the tank, bleed the system and restart. This would happen every few months and sometimes I would drain the fuel tank and metal pieces would was out. I assumed this was the problem.

It was running fine on tuesday and on wednesday it would not start. Engine turns over but no compression. I did the following:
-blew out the line to tank
-charged battery(it was low)
-loosened the bolts at the injector and verified their was fuel. Tried to use transfer pump to push fuel to injectors, only 2 had fuel coming out.
Still did not start
-loosened all three and started tractor to push fuel out and all 3 had some fuel coming out
-tightened bolts and it didnt start
-Didnt bleed screw above filter because it had stripped some and I screwed it in and it appeared to not be leaking.( has been this way for a while)

Still planning on checking solenoid on injection pump, fuel filter and maybe replace fuel.
Please help! Have to put out hay to cows..

I don't understand you statement about a lack of compression. Surely your engine is not worn out! How dod you measure the compression?
What does your operator's manual say. if you don't have one, get one. Look on ebay.

If you've had to blow back on the fuel line to get fuel to flow reggulary than I woud think there is some debris or crap and corruption in your fuel tank. remove the lien from the tank to the filter and open the tank valve. Do you get a CONTINUOUS gush of fuel? if it dribbes or is intermittent your tank outlet is restricted or the fuel line is clogged. Blowing it out is just a temporary fix.
Drain the tank and remove the strainer and examine it. You may have bacterial contamination in your fuel (snotty looking stuff) or just dirt etc. If the strainer looks OK, check the filter head for contamination in the inlet section. A poster several months ago had debris in the filter head, down stream of the connection and upstream of the filter. (Since you have a lift pump you may have a fuel tube in the tank and not a strainer at the tank bottom. Our NH TD95D doesn't have a strainer.)
There maybe be a screen on your transfer pump so open it up and check for clogging there.
Finally check all the fittings for tightness so you are not sucking air. I'd be suspect of a stripped bleeder screw on the filter head as a potential source of air.

If you are seeing fuel at the injectors than your solenoid shutoff should be working fine. The transfer pump should only supply fuel to the injector pump inlet (~3-5 psi) and I wouldn't expect it to pressurize the fuel lines while they were disconnected since it would have to flow through the injcctor pump first but maybe it would.

Thanks for your replies. You guys are right. Should not have used the word compression, I meant combustion. Engine does not have very many hours on it. I did shoot a small amount of either in the air intake and it kicked over but did not continue. That is why i thought it was starved for fuel.

I will go back through the lines and make sure im not sucking air. Can I tape the bleed screw so it wont leak temporarilly and bleed the air somewhere else?
Thanks

Well I checked the power to the solenoid and instead of 12volts I had 0 volts. I jumped power to the solenoid and turned the key...and it start. Thanks for all the help. Now I have to figure out where the wiring is bad.