TC29D Hydrostatic transmission is stuck in forward

/ TC29D Hydrostatic transmission is stuck in forward
Has anyone done this before? I don't see an access hole other than this one I had to jam my phone into to take the pic. I was thinking about pulling it up with a coat hanger so I can thread it back in. We are going to order the whole rod and both rod ends to replace because I am assuming it has vibrated the threads out.

/ TC29D Hydrostatic transmission is stuck in forward #12  
Thanks for the pic Ruffdog. The rod for the valve in the transmission fell off as you can hopefully see. Also thanks to you Jinman for the detailed pic which is what I was looking at. I flat did not see the rod on the back side of the arm. As you will notice it isn't in the pic! It goes on near 13 and 12, but isn't clear. THANKS AGAIN!! View attachment 305984

Your picture seems to be the slot where the rod goes inside the transmission and screws into the swivel that controls the transmission swashplate. You'll have to be very careful to get that all back together. It looks like it is a threaded rod with a locknut. The locknut probably loosened and allowed the joint to unscrew. Just a guess. At least you know where the problem is and that's 50% of getting it fixed. You might ask your dealer's service manager if there are any tips. My service manager and techs at my dealer are always generous with their good advice.

Your picture seems to be the slot where the rod goes inside the transmission and screws into the swivel that controls the transmission swashplate. You'll have to be very careful to get that all back together. It looks like it is a threaded rod with a locknut. The locknut probably loosened and allowed the joint to unscrew. Just a guess. At least you know where the problem is and that's 50% of getting it fixed. You might ask your dealer's service manager if there are any tips. My service manager and techs at my dealer are always generous with their good advice.

Yes, definitely knowing the problem is the half of it. I don't know any one at either of our 2 nearest local dealers. I used to know a few of the parts guys at both places from me using them when I worked at my dad's diesel shop. Some dealers are great, and some aren't. I sent my co-worker(with the John Deere) to nearest dealer in the next town from me to speak to the service manager, who happens to know me and lives 2 houses down from me(over 1/2 mile here in the country). He was completely rude and offered no help and barked at one of the mechanics for talking to him. So when he needed over $2000 worth of parts, he went in the other direction to the next nearest dealer and they helped him.

/ TC29D Hydrostatic transmission is stuck in forward #14  
I am wondering if the nut came loose and the movement back and forth wore out the threads.??? Yes, that would mean much more work. If all you needed to do was to screw it back together and tighten the nut, you could use a metric crows foot for that. I think I will look at my tractor tomarrow and check that nut for tightness.

I am going to try and thread it back in just to see how bad it is. I have a set of metric crow's foot so that shouldn't be a problem.

/ TC29D Hydrostatic transmission is stuck in forward #16  
You might want to loop a piece of duct tape from the extension, around the crows foot, back to the extension, just in case. You don't want to drop it while you pull the tool out.

Threaded it back in and got it back working. I believe you would have to split the tractor to get in there to replace. really dumb design with no access panels!!

/ TC29D Hydrostatic transmission is stuck in forward #18  
Glad for the success report.:thumbsup: Did you use any new parts or just put the old ones back together? Red Loctite on the threads?

No jinman. no new parts. Threaded the old one back on and tightened both nuts. Loctite would have been a great idea....if I thought of it!! :duh:

/ TC29D Hydrostatic transmission is stuck in forward #20  
Was the top nut also loose to allow the rod to turn? That is not an easy location to work on for sure!