Ford 1700 diesel has loss of power

/ Ford 1700 diesel has loss of power #1  

mele1949

I opened the bleeders and cleaned the filter, helped a bit, but still not as powerful as it once was. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Any help appreciated.

/ Ford 1700 diesel has loss of power #2  
I opened the bleeders and cleaned the filter, helped a bit, but still not as powerful as it once was. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Any help appreciated.

Check the fuel flow from the tank to the filter. There is usally a strainer in the tank bottom and it may be clogged, restricting the fuel flow. Also check the filter head on the inlet side for debris if you have aequate flow to the filter. How did you "clean" the filter. If it is a replacable type, replace it.

/ Ford 1700 diesel has loss of power #3  
The fuel tank is atmospherically vented. make sure your vent is open. keep it partially open, not real tight to see if it improves. is your 1700 engine not responsive to foot accelerator pedal? make sure your oil bath air filter has clean oil, and not sledged shut. have you ever cleaned your air filter oil bath? it sounds like your problem is fuel related.

JC,

/ Ford 1700 diesel has loss of power
Fuel flow from tank to filter is good, no debris, used new filter.

Hi, thanks for quick reply. Vent is open. It doesn't seem as responsive to the foot pedal as it once was, although I haven't used it a lot lately. I drive transport, so am not home a lot, but it seems to bog down. I wonder if there could be something wrong with the fuel itself, like water in it. Could I use the conditioner I use for the truck in the diesel? Should I start another thread for the other problem I'm having with it? There is oil in the antifreeze, and I was thinking head gasket. The rad cap had oil on it and there was a film of oil on top of the antifreeze. This only happened once last summer. My son was driving it and he revved it up quite high while we were cutting a tree down. Had a line from the tractor to the tree to make sure it fell away from the house, and he gunned it. Shortly after that, I had checked the tractor out and found traces of oil in the rad.

/ Ford 1700 diesel has loss of power #6  
I think you second problem is causing your first problem. Is there just an oily film in the antifreeze or is it over filling the radiator with oil.
Bill

Just a film on top of the antifreeze. That sounds like a possibility. A while back, I checked out the price and availability of the head gasket at out local Ford dealer. Apparently there were 2 different ones, one thicker than the other, and the guy said I'd have to open it up to figure out which one it was. Does that sound right to you? I thought there was just one motor, the Shibaura, why would there be 2 different head gaskets?

/ Ford 1700 diesel has loss of power #8  
I would guess that the thicker gasket is used if the head or block has been milled .
Bill

Guess I'll just have to take her apart to find out...not sure when that'll be...on the road so much, hard to find time, but once I find out, I'll post an update. Thanks for the help, guys! Always great to have other ideas.

/ Ford 1700 diesel has loss of power #10  
When I rebuilt my 1700 there was 2 head gaskets in the full kit. They had different diameter for the piston hole but both the same thickness. I believe 1 gasket was for the 1500 and the other for a 1700 but in the same kit.