Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 241

Default Re: Our HST has some problems

I know it sounds dumb, but don't forget to re-check, and top off the hydraulic fluid after refilling, and cycling the FEL/BH/etc. if it was so LS that it didn't show on the stick, it probably had to refill a bunch of lines.

What happens is that you refill the case, start the engine, the pump sends th fluid to fill he lines, and the case is low again.....easy to check, and free!

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

For the snapping sound -- check that all of your FEL mounting bolts are tight. You might be hearing the FEL to frame movement. My TC used to make that kind of sound and I found two loose bolts. I think the sound is gone now.

Check all of your bolts anyways. They do loosen.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D HST 4WD FEL/BH

I will definitely re-check the fluid level next time I am where the tractor is. Right now it is at my BIL's house and that is about 45 miles away.

I will also check the bolts, but the sound the FEL makes sounds hydraulic, not mechanical.
    New Holland Workmaster 45 2WD Gear
    Massey Ferguson 240
    New Holland TC40D HST 4WD
    NewHolland 16LA FEL
    Woods BH 70-X Sub-frame Backhoe
    Troybuilt Super Bronco w/42" mower
    Husqvarna DRT 900 Tiller
    Ariens 6.5 HP String Mower
    Husqvarna HU625WT String Mower

3 point hitch attachments:
    single plow, double plow, 5' & 6' deck mower, tiller, 2 cultivators, planter, fertilizer spreader, disk set, sprayer, and a few homemade attachments

30 acres, 15 acres, 5 acres

Tractor

UPDATE ...

OK, went to the tractor today. Checked fluid ... FULL. Checked bolts ... TIGHT.

I disconnected the lift arms with the quick disconnects and curled the bucket. It did not lift the tractor and the lift cylinders extended. Figured it must be the cylinders. Tried to plug the QD back in. One went right in and the other fought me for about 20 minutes before it just slide right in ... go figure.

I checked the lift arms to make sure they actually connected right and ... it works

I mean ... IT WORKS - COMPLETELY!!!

The FEL will once again lift the tractor off the ground and allow grading/back blading like it used to. The noise it made when lifted all the way up and then lowered is also gone. Not sure what the problem was, but it worked all day for me.

Now, as for the HST problems, those we still have. Noticed today it did not seem to be running at "full speed" in low or high range, rabbit or turtle.

Quote Originally Posted by jinman View Post
    ... Except for the main hydraulic filter and a short run of suction piping, your HST has nothing in common with the FEL hydraulics. I want to concentrate on the FEL problem rather than try to deal with two separate issues. Once the FEL problem is isolated, I'll try to address your HST issue...
    So, now that the FEL is working, on to the HST.

As an aside, we are planning on replacing the filter on the tractor ... all of them ... since it has been a while since that was done. This will include an oil change for the engine and, if needed, a fluid change for the HST.
    Massey Ferguson 240
    NewHolland 16LA FEL
    Husqvarna DRT 900 Tiller

single plow, double plow, 5' & 6' deck mower, tiller, 2 cultivators, planter, fertilizer spreader, disk set, sprayer, and a few homemade attachments

Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

I'm thinking when your fluid gets hot, your FEL problems may return. Now, I'd also raise the FEL and then shut off the engine. If you have a load in the bucket, it would be better. See if and how long it takes for the FEL to drop from the raised position. If it holds or drops very slowly (a few inches over 15 to 20 minutes) your FEL is normal.

I think both the main hydraulic filter and the HST filter should be changed. Also, with the tractor running, squirt some oil around that rubber "T" in the line to see if it gets sucked in between the "T" and the pipe where it is clamped. You may have a little air leak there. I don't know how many hours you have on your hydraulic fluid, but NH suggests a change at 300 hours. I've looked at my oil and it is crystal clear at 300 hours so I let it go to 500. I do change filters regularly. The HST filter on the left side of the engine is the most important. If your FEL works fine, the main filter is probably okay, but you may want to change it just for 'insurance' that both are okay. I recommend using NH filters for both of these. NH filters are more expensive, but you always know you have a filter that is proper for your tractor. To me, that's worth the extra money. The big expense to operating a tractor is fuel anyhow. Compared to 20 gallons of fuel, the filters are cheap.

BTW: Your HST has test ports for pressure testing. They are under the seat where there is an access panel. Your dealer should have a full test set to check the bypass pressures on your HST. If they are at 5000 psi, then your HST should be healthy. To test the charge pump, they have to modify the assembly above the HST filter so an adapter can be added to check charge pump pressure. Both of those tests will probably be good things to have done at the dealer. By the time you buy all the fittings, gages, and hoses to do these tests, you'll have spent more than the dealer will charge to do the tests.
    Jim

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by jinman View Post
    I'm thinking when your fluid gets hot, your FEL problems may return...
    After connecting the QD back up and the FEL working, I used the tractor for a few hours while I dug a large pine stump out of the ground using both the FEL and the BH. All continued to work the entire time. In fact, after getting the stump out, moved and the very large whole filled and smoothed, I used the FEL to lift the front while I changed the front tires. My FIL bought new ones and he and my BIL had them on the wrong sides They are on correctly now.

Thing is, I don't think the tractor will get much warmer and the FEL continued to work.

BTW - Were can I find the locations of all the filters on the TC40D?
    Massey Ferguson 240
    NewHolland 16LA FEL
    Husqvarna DRT 900 Tiller

Tractor

It's starting to sound like your problem may have been in the quick-connects, but I've never heard of them making symptoms like you had. I'll just hope you continue to have good performance from your FEL.

Your main hydraulic filter is between your right rear wheel and the running gear. If you look up under the operator platform towards the rear, you can't miss it. It's very large. The HST filter is just in front of your brake pedals on the left side of the engine bell housing and below the starter motor. It's tucked away behind the FEL sub-frame on the left side. Getting it off is always a challenge. The engine oil filter is on the right side below your fuel filter and very close to the loader quick-connects. Of course, the air filters are in the round canister on the right side of the engine after you raise the hood.
    Jim

Tractor

jinman,

Thanks for the filter locations. We did find filters in those locations but did not know which one was for what. We guessed that the big one was hydraulic.

The air filters are a bit obvious and those we had no problem with. When we pulled the outer filter it was quite dirty - the inner one is "new looking" and as clean as if it just came out of the box.

Guess we might want to check the fuel filter too, while we are doing filters.
    Massey Ferguson 240
    NewHolland 16LA FEL
    Husqvarna DRT 900 Tiller

Tractor

OK, finally got the tractor back home. We are planning on doing the hydraulic service sometime in May ... or June ...

Anyone know how much Hydro Fluid a TC40D with a FEL and BH takes?
    Massey Ferguson 240
    NewHolland 16LA FEL
    Husqvarna DRT 900 Tiller

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Qapla View Post
    OK, finally got the tractor back home. We are planning on doing the hydraulic service sometime in May ... or June ...

Anyone know how much Hydro Fluid a TC40D with a FEL and BH takes?
    A normal drain and refill with both main and HST filters is about 8.5 gallons. The specs say the reservoir holds 10 gallons, but that includes lines, hydraulic cylinders, and the HST transmission. I've always been able to top off my reservoir with less than 10 gallons, but if you buy 10 gallons, you can use the leftover in the front axle housing and power steering system plus have some left for make-up fluid in the main reservoir. When refilling, use the dipstick often to ensure you don't overfill. If you overfill by a small amount, it's no problem, but I would not want an extra gallon in the reservoir. A quar/liter would not matter.
    Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12