my newly purchased TC30 wants to die, hard to start.

/ my newly purchased TC30 wants to die, hard to start.
Well I finally got back to the tractor yesterday. I was looking around and noticed that the hours had not changed at all since I bought it. Turns out the cable that runs the hour meter is broken on the inside. So I have no clue how many hours are actually on this tractor. That really changes things but I still think I'm ok with the purchase. Makes me mad though. The salesman that I talked to emphasized to me the low hours before I bought it. I should have known with the rough shape of the sheet metal. Trying to do everything I can on my own before I take it to a tractor repair man. I bought a diesel compression tester and all three cylinders were about the same at 405 to 415 psi and that was on a slightly warmed engine so I think that is good but I'm not really sure. I hooked up the fuel lines upside down on the injection pump and attached the injectors, cranked it, and I think I can see my problem. There is clearly more fuel coming through the third injector, less coming through the second, and little to none the first. It makes sense now when I first get it started at low idle before it warms up it seems to not be firing on all cylinders. I switched the injectors around and it changed but didn't seem to be consistent and I can't tell if it's bad injectors or a bad injection pump. SO, i'm thinking and hoping the problem is bad injectors and not the injection pump. I'm going to have to finally talk to Mr. tractor repair and see if he can test my injectors or my pump. I'm glad I've finally got it narrowed down. Anybody have any advice on what I need to check for now that I know this tractor probably has a lot more hours than I thought previously? I'm wondering if I need to have the valves adjusted? I'm sure the repair man will enlighten me.

/ my newly purchased TC30 wants to die, hard to start. #32  
Well I finally got back to the tractor yesterday. I was looking around and noticed that the hours had not changed at all since I bought it. Turns out the cable that runs the hour meter is broken on the inside. So I have no clue how many hours are actually on this tractor. That really changes things but I still think I'm ok with the purchase. Makes me mad though. The salesman that I talked to emphasized to me the low hours before I bought it. I should have known with the rough shape of the sheet metal. Trying to do everything I can on my own before I take it to a tractor repair man. I bought a diesel compression tester and all three cylinders were about the same at 405 to 415 psi and that was on a slightly warmed engine so I think that is good but I'm not really sure. I hooked up the fuel lines upside down on the injection pump and attached the injectors, cranked it, and I think I can see my problem. There is clearly more fuel coming through the third injector, less coming through the second, and little to none the first. It makes sense now when I first get it started at low idle before it warms up it seems to not be firing on all cylinders. I switched the injectors around and it changed but didn't seem to be consistent and I can't tell if it's bad injectors or a bad injection pump. SO, i'm thinking and hoping the problem is bad injectors and not the injection pump. I'm going to have to finally talk to Mr. tractor repair and see if he can test my injectors or my pump. I'm glad I've finally got it narrowed down. Anybody have any advice on what I need to check for now that I know this tractor probably has a lot more hours than I thought previously? I'm wondering if I need to have the valves adjusted? I'm sure the repair man will enlighten me.

Well,
I had a problem the last couple of weeks with my NH GT75. After a lot of searching and testing, and replacing the lift pump all filters, checking the glow/ lift pump circuits, the actual problem that I found was the return line to the tank, at the tank inlet fitting was plugged. Acted just like it was out of fuel. Once I unplugged ot, the engine runs great.. Probably better than it has in a couple of years. So check if you hear fuel going back into the tank. If not, (or if you do not have a return, which I doubt) then that may be your problem. Was mine... Everyone of the post I found, indicated a plugged feed line... Just the opposite.

/ my newly purchased TC30 wants to die, hard to start. #33  
I had a similar problem with mmmy 2001 TC45D. After a week or so of plowing, it started running rough and was hard starting. I had good fuel flow to and through the injector pump, but only the #4 injector was pumping any fuel. Everything I tried was unsuccessful at getting the other three to prime up and start pummping. I tried air pressure, chemicals, light tapping, medium tapping, frustration tapping, small wires, but nothing worked. Finally I did some research online, study under the hood and pulled the injector pump. No real problem, just mechanics. With utmost care I took each pump cylinder apart cleaned it and put it back together. I found some particles in there that may have been my problem. I replaced the pump and it shoots juice halfway across my barn. HOWEVER, the engine now runs away at top rpm's and the throttle has no affect on it. More research before I go into it again. I think timing is what is needed.

So my tractor has been sitting in the back corner of the shop all summer long. We just finished grain harvest and I finally got around to the tractor again. I took the injectors in to the dealer and all three were really bad. Didn't hold enough pressure and not a good spray pattern. Actually two of them didn't really spray at all it was more of a stream and the third wasn't completely terrible but not good. They like to see a fine mist and the mechanic was certain they are bad. So that is really good news for me as it means the fuel pump might be fine. So I ordered some rebuilt injectors at the dealership. They are $50 a piece which is really not bad. New injectors are over $100 each. Once I get them on the tractor I'll update again on whether or not that fixed my problem. I'm still a little worried about my fuel pump but we'll know quick once I get the injectors back in. The injectors really didn't look worn at all inside or out. I guess the spring inside just loses it's strength after a certain amount of time running.

WEll just to update. The dealer mechanic thinks for sure it is the fuel pump. He says severe cold weather can cause them to go bad. There is a new part number to replace an "obsolete" fuel pump. I'm going to put in a new injection pump and probably new fuel lines and hopefully that finally fixes my problem. I haven't touched it since last fall. Finally have the ability to buy a new injection pump.

I did take apart the injection pump by the way. Didn't find any wear or any debris.