my newly purchased TC30 wants to die, hard to start.

/ my newly purchased TC30 wants to die, hard to start. #1  

beebe44

Tractor
Kioti DK45S, New Holland TC30
Hey guys I'm kind of new here. Last week I decided I'd invest in a little TC30. I read up on them and they seem like a good little tractor. This was an online auction for a 2007 tc30 HST with 381 hours. The tractor is in really rough shape and I bought it really cheap hoping I could fix it up. It was used at a dairy and they really took a toll on it. The fenders are all trashed and it just looks really rough all around. Anyways it was delivered to my house (I only saw pictures of it before I bought it, never in person) and it wouldn't start. Took about two minutes of cranking over various attempts and it finally started. It was dark when I started it and a little chilly (40 to 45 degrees). I let it run for a minute with it just barely staying alive. When I gave it more throttle it kind of bogged down and almost died then it ran up really high rpm. I let it warm up and started alright after that but even warm it has some kind of power issue. It's really erratic and acts like it just doesn't have power. When I put it in gear and drive it I really have to ease into it or else the engine bogs down and wants to quit. I'm totally new to this tractor just wondering if any of you have tips on what to check or what you think the problem is. I'm thinking it might just be a clogged fuel filter. I really like the tractor despite this problem the HST is pretty smooth and very easy to use compared to our Kioti tractor with shuttle shift. Air filter looks good, oil looks good, I was told and it appears that they serviced it/greased it regularly. This should be a good learning experience for me. I don't know much but I'm very mechanically inclined. Any help is appreciated.

/ my newly purchased TC30 wants to die, hard to start. #2  
I agree that the fuel filter would be a good place to start. Make sure the bowl is nice and clean before you put it together. I would also suggest cracking the shutoff valve to see if the fuel flows freely. If not I would expose the tank and see why not. Could be there is a bunch of crap at the bottom of the tank. If there is you need to flush it out. I would also change out all the other filters so I knew when they were last done. The exception would be if they looked fresh and are marked with the hour and date of when they were last changed.

I would also go to all of the grease zerks and make sure they take grease and weren't just made to look that way.

Just my .02 . Good luck with your new tractor!

Gerry

/ my newly purchased TC30 wants to die, hard to start. #3  
Assuming it ran before the auction, the trailering could have jiggled or sloshed loose some fuel tank gunk. It sounds like fuel starvation, so I ditto looking in that area.

/ my newly purchased TC30 wants to die, hard to start. #4  
Buy your self a service manual and an operators manual. They will be the best money you spend. Did you notice if the glow plug light came on before you tried to start it.
Bill

/ my newly purchased TC30 wants to die, hard to start. #5  
When you do the filter change i would empty the tank and put fresh fuel you never know what could have ended up in that tank before it was delivered to you.

/ my newly purchased TC30 wants to die, hard to start.
Thanks for the replies. I think my glow plugs may not be working as well as a fuel issue. I'm not exactly sure the proper starting procedure for this tractor. I turn the key backwards and the glow plug light doesn't come on. If I turn the key to the run position and then turn it back the glow plug light comes on for just a couple seconds and then turns off while I'm still holding it. It may be a while before I can mess with it much but I will keep you updated when I do. I tried starting it again today and it was much warmer but had the same problem getting it started.

/ my newly purchased TC30 wants to die, hard to start. #7  
The glow plug timer is started with the key in the run position. The light should go out after a few seconds (8-15 for mine) and then just rotate to the start position.

/ my newly purchased TC30 wants to die, hard to start. #8  
Never buy site unseen. Do a complete service, oil, filters, grease etc. before I would even think about starting it unless the pre owner kept really good records and you trust them. As mentioned the Fuel filter would be my first thing to check. Also bleed out the fuel line after replacing the fuel filter. I replace mine every year now on my TC29. Went two years on one and had problems so learned to spend the money on a new one. The starter switch on mine is spring loaded so just turn it slowly to the right while pushing in and the glow plug light will stay on as long as you hold it there, about 10 seconds more or less depending on the temp and tractor temp. Mine is a 98 model and the only thing besides regular maintenace I have done is replace a leaking Water pump and went ahead and replaced the radiator hoses at that time too. Went over 10 years on that pump about 700 hours. Its been a great tractor!

/ my newly purchased TC30 wants to die, hard to start.
"never buy site unseen". Normally I would agree with you but there are exceptions. I make a lot of investments such as this and haven't failed on one yet (although I admit this one worried me). You wouldn't buy a tc30 HST with 381 hours for $4700 site unseen?

Anyways It was a fuel issue. I replaced fuel filter today and it is running good, but still hard to start cold. I still think there is a problem with the glow plug timer or something. Larry my key has three positions. If I turn it counter clockwise it is springloaded and it shows a little glow plug icon. then there is the off position in the middle and start position clockwise springloaded. I put an amp meter over the glow plug line and it only shows a current for about a second even when the glow plug bulb lights up for 3 or 5 seconds.

/ my newly purchased TC30 wants to die, hard to start. #10  
I think on some of these the timer just runs the light. My 2120 the key-left spring-load position powers the glow plugs for as long as you hold it there. Maybe you've got a poor ign switch - not uncommon on some of these. Check volts at the glow plugs while holding the switch left.
Jim