Ford 1510 Differential Lock Broken

/ Ford 1510 Differential Lock Broken #1  

Valbird

My 1984 Ford 1510 differential lock isn't locking any more. I get a little click, and feel it in the lock pedal.

Has anyone fixed this problem on the Ford 1310/1510/1710 series?

I am wondering what to expect. I assume I'll be doing a transmission dive.

Thanks.

/ Ford 1510 Differential Lock Broken #2  
More like a differential dive. Wheels, fenders, rollbar, seat & 3PT cover come off. Then brake parts, wheel shaft cases and finally the differential. Your difflock pins are probably sheared off.

/ Ford 1510 Differential Lock Broken
I can do that. Never done the brakes, though. Sounds like I will be dripping oil for a long time getting in there. he he

What is involved with replacing the differential pins?

Special tools or fixtures, or just normal mechanics' tools?

/ Ford 1510 Differential Lock Broken #6  
Any chance this could be something simple like a lever not fully engaging?

Possible, but I think not. From what I can tell, there is a "fork" (which I bought a spare of), which mounts on the shaft for the lever (heel pedal). The lever has full travel as before, but instead of "locking" cams out, which is why I thought I might need the fork assembly. If in a very very low torque situation, the lever does not cam out, and both wheels lock. Conjecture was that one or more operators were locking the wheels after the calcium filled turf tires were rotating, and I assume the lever is to be set before setting the wheels into motion.

/ Ford 1510 Differential Lock Broken #8  
Buying the fork ahead of time was probably a waste of money. Normal tools should get you in and back out OK.

Some of the 1510 parts have become scarce. Even though this one was $35, I decided the differential lock was valuable to me.

Has anyone done this job? 4 hour job? 8 hour job? Should I buy new axle seals, if I will be messing with them?

/ Ford 1510 Differential Lock Broken #10  
I'd probably budget a full day if I were doing it. I have no idea how long it will take you. Shouldn't have to remove the axles from the housings. Brake cover gaskets, hydraulic tube fitting o-rings, anaerobic gasket eliminater. Fresh hydraulic oil & filter and whatever broken parts you find.