Loaner 25D won't start

/ Loaner 25D won't start #1  

jlemon

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota 3830 HST, 723 loader, HD QA bucket, 1 remote w/top cylinder
Loaner 25D won\'t start

I have a tractor on order which is taking a long time to arrive at the dealer, so he gave me a loaner so I can get some of the mowing chores done. This morning the service guy pulled up and dropped off a TC25D, and gave me some quick instructions on how to operate it.

Put rear hydraulics in float, make sure mid/rear PTO levers are off, put tractor in one of the neutral positions, press clutch in hard, and turn the switch, while pushing it in. Sounds simple enough. He watched while I started/stopped the tractor, then left. Later, I went out and bushhogged a bit of the field, then turned the tractor off; I forgot to put the 3pt hitch in float before turning off the tractor, and the engine dieseled for about 30-45 seconds before finally dying. (Hey, it's a diesel tractor, isn't it supposed to do that?)

So half an hour later I go back out to turn it on, and it doesn't turn over. Put 3pt hitch back in float, watch rotary mower collapse onto ground. All dash lights come on, glow plug lights come on, things look normal, but the darn thing won't start. I don't have a manual (this is a loaner after all), so I don't know where the fuse block is; I wasn't using the headlights, which seems to have been the cause of fuses blowing.

Is there something I can do to check this or should I just call the dealer and tell him that his loaner is broken already? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Loaner 25D won't start #2  
Re: Loaner 25D won\'t start

Johnathon,

I believe someone else had a similar occurrence just a few days back and had a post about it.

I believe they figured out that the battery terminals were a bit corroded, and a quick cleaning solved the problem. They weren't so corroded as to stop all the juice getting through to lights and gauges, but not enough to start it.

Hope that's all it is and that my memory is correct! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Loaner 25D won't start #3  

I don't know about The TC, I don't have one. Having said that, besides the PTO levers disengaged, is there a PTO switch? It would more that likely be some type of toggle. If it does have one of these and it is on, then it would not start.

/ Loaner 25D won't start

I checked the battery terminals, it appears to be a solid connection; no corrosion on the terminals itself. There isn't a PTO switch on the machine as far as I can tell, just the two PTO levers. Sigh. What good is a loaner that doesn't work? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Loaner 25D won't start #5  

You were sitting firmly in the seat, weren't you? If not, did you have the parking brake fullly engaged? Was the gear lever nicely in nuetral? (there's an indent you can feel). I know you said the PTO levers were off. Push on them to make sure they're firmly off. All those things are related to the interlock that prevents it from starting.

/ Loaner 25D won't start

Parking brake on, gears in neutral (tried both N settings), both PTO levers off, although they don't seem to move easily. I was in the seat, but it wasn't jammed against the floor. Taking a cue from earlier threads, I removed the two screws from the dash, but didn't find a fuse block, only a round silver-colored 1" fuse, rated 12v. My multimeter can pass current through it so I don't think the fuse is blown; unless there is another one hiding somewhere else I don't see.

I'll try jamming the seat down and wriggling the levers after I replace the fuse.

Ne

/ Loaner 25D won't start #7  

My TC29D has a safety switch down under the range control. If you follow the linkages down you will find a magnetic switch that will bypass the safety controls until you get the linkages adjusted. Once you use this it will disengage as soon as you put the tractor in gear. So you will have to lift this switch up everytime you go to start the tractor. The other thing is on my 29 you have to push the key in in order for it to start, you just can't turn the key to the right, you also have to push it in while you turn it to the right. Hope this helps you. Try the key pushing first as even if you don't push the key in the linkage safety still won't work.

Hold the key in firmly even while waiting for the glow plugs to warm and even when you hit the starter

murph

/ Loaner 25D won't start

Thank you!

Yup, that was it. I traced the wiring down under the linkages, and there was a small connector that took two pin-type connectors. One of the wires had been yanked out of the connector, probably by some of the thistles that I had been mowing over. After reattaching the connector again, the tractor started up fine. It probably would be a good idea to move these out of the way so they aren't so vulnerable to tall weeds.

And I was just about ready to admit defeat and call the dealer. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Now I'm going out to cut more thistles. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Loaner 25D won't start #9  

I had the very same thing happen the first day out with my new (used) tc29d. Was in the woods hoggin' stuff about five feet high. Pretty easy to jerk those two wires loose.