Oil & Fuel 8n tractor oil pressure

/ 8n tractor oil pressure #1  

Eagles eye

Tractor
Massey 35
Just changed the oil on my 8n tractor. When I removed the drain plug, I noticed that the screen was not above the drain hole. Upon further inspection the screen, housing and tube were just laying loose in the oil pan. Thought it must have been this way so I filled with new oil and when I started it has no oil pressure. The shop manual is not specific but is this assembly the pick up tube for the pump and if so, did it slide out of the pump or has something broken?. The illustration shows the tube with a flat plate that looks like it used screws to attach to the pump? Any wisdom?
I did drain the oil back out and the tube and screen assembly is definitely laying loose in the oil pan. Do I need to drop the pan and replace or is there a trick to fish it in place through the oil drain plug hole?

/ 8n tractor oil pressure #3  
the oil pump is driven off the #1 main. it has a pickup tube that is silver soldered inthe bottom of the pump. the manual illustrates this WELL.

there is no quick fix... you must drop the pan ( menaing you will be swinging the front end out a bit to get to the front pan bolts ford 'hid'.

IF you got super super lucky, and the pickup tube fell off as you turne dthe machine off last time, and wasn't in fact running with no oil before you turn it off.. AND the crank didn't wad the tube up on the bottom of the pan.. AND you can see where the seam from the old joint is so that you can index it correctly so it will be over the hole.. then you COULD silver solder it back in.

keep the hardware for the #1 main all in the same orientation.

/ 8n tractor oil pressure
Thanks a lot, I can see and actually move the tube and cup/screen around. It is in tact just seems to have come out of the oil pump housing. The tractor started and ran with good oil pressure so I pulled into the barn, dropped the oil plug, drained the oil and when I went o replace the oil plug, I saw the cup like gadget up u. The hole. When I stuck my finger up into check it out it was laying loose in he bottom of the pan. I took flash light and looked at it hem pulled out the manual and discovered it looked like the pick p tube and screen cup assembly. Don't know if it was just held in by the lip on he plug and when removed it fell out or what. That's as far as I have gotten....guess I'm pulling the front end and pan this weekend...
Glad it didn't happen in the field.. Sounds like I would have been replacing much more if it had run a minute or less without oil?

Can the tractor be supported on jack stands behind the flywheel when pulling the front end and pan or will I need to support it toward the front with a hoist?

Thanks again

/ 8n tractor oil pressure #5  
i bet the wire cup on the plug was supporting the tub and holding it in place.. and at some point it's solder cracked.. you just got lucky it was priming quick when running.

now it's down.

you can unbolt (mostly ) and switng the front out a few inches to access the front pan bolts and drop t he pan.. yeah.. stands at the bellhousing will hold her up. block the rears.. etc..

/ 8n tractor oil pressure
Yep, I would agree. Thanks for the help. Heading to the parts house now for gasket kit...

/ 8n tractor oil pressure #7  
good luck / be carefull.