TC40D Super Steer bolt?

/ TC40D Super Steer bolt? #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
Was looking the tractor over, cleaning and lubing zerk fittings . This bolt does not have a nut. There is another one on the other side that has a nut. Both have a round head. Both bolts thread thru the bracket, and are tight.

Only thing I can figure is they are adjustable hard-stops for the Super Steer, limiting how far the front axle can rotate?

The missing nut on the left side of the tractor, must have been a lock nut?

Attachments

• DSCN1637.jpg
    DSCN1637.jpg
    638 KB · Views: 314
  • DSCN1638.jpg
    DSCN1638.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 527
   / TC40D Super Steer bolt? #2  
I'm not really familiar with SuperSteer, but did you look at the parts diagrams on Messicks.com? A stop bolt makes sense.

/ TC40D Super Steer bolt? #3  
Yes,it's supposed to have a nut on the stop bolt. It doesn't require a lock nut but it might be a good idea to use one as a replacement.

/ TC40D Super Steer bolt? #4  
If you look closely at that bolt you will see it has a square area showing just below the head. It is a carriage bolt. It is pushed through the hole and the square portion should be seated in the hole where there is a square area that will hold the bolt from turning ... that is, if the bolt is tight it will hold it.

There should be a nut on the thread side that is tightened enough to pull that bolt back into where it should be.

/ TC40D Super Steer bolt? #5  
Hi everyone,

I have a TC40D with supersteer. About a month ago, I noticed my FWD stopped working while engaged. I looked down and saw the double-universal joint was all chewed up and no longer engaged properly with the spline driveshaft. You can see the U-joint in RobertN's second photo above.

I took the old u-joint to the dealer (new one was $210) and he said he's never seen this problem. We checked out the front end on the dealers advice and didn't find any excessive movement. I'm thinking I may have had the wheels cranked all the way and the axle tipped in such a manner that there was only about 1/4 inch of contact between the U-joint and the shaft, causing the U-joint to strip. I did notice that both stops for my supersteer are all the way in. Can you guys check yours to see if they are set the same way? I was thinking about moving the stops out which would keep the wheels/axle from turning quite so far and the contact between the U-joint and the spline shaft will be greater. Thanks.

/ TC40D Super Steer bolt? #6  
Hi everyone,

I finished replacing the U-joint last night. Moving the stops I referenced doesn't seem to make a huge difference. I took a picture to show how much contact appear between the U-joint and the spline shaft coming out of the FWD Sensi-clutch. Can someone else with supersteer take a look at theirs and tell me if it appears the same? I figure their is between 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch of contact based on measurements. The manual doesn't have any information about this. Thanks.

Universal Joint Replacement - 1.jpg

/ TC40D Super Steer bolt? #7  
Robert, that is a stop bolt for the supersteer and it should have a lock nut on the outside. You can even see scratches in the paint where it used to be. Nygrappler, did the internal splines strip out on your U-joint? Do you think that there may not be enough engagement between the joint and the shaft on the sensitrak? Maybe the bolts on the sensitrak could be loosened and it moved forward a little. Maybe the joints/linkage attaching the axle to the tractor ad bad or out of adjustment allowing the axle to move forward. Are the joints attaching the front axle to the tractor in good shape? Is the big tie rod running from the bottom of the axle back to the bottom of the tractor in good shape and the proper length? You could raise the front wheels off the ground with the loader and check for slack in the front axle attachment points.