workmaster 55

/ workmaster 55 #1  

Teaspoon

Bronze Member
Tractor
none
I am interested in knowing about the Workmaster 55 abilities to handle 1200 to 1500 lb. rolls on both the back and on the loader. Of coarse the 4 wd model. Any other pros and cons of this tractor will be helpful as well.
Thanks,
Teaspoon

/ workmaster 55 #2  
I have a tractor that is similar in size to the workmaster 55 and can tell you that wouldn't be a problem at all for it to handle. I'm not too familiar with all the options and features of the NH but they seem like a really good tractor!

/ workmaster 55
Thanks for the reply. Does your tractor have a loader? Do you use yours to move rolls?

/ workmaster 55 #4  
My brother in law has a much smaller NH 2310 (40HP) and it handles 4x5 round bales easily. He has moved a super sack (1500 lbs) of cow feed with it using his bushhog for counterweight. The rear tires were almost floating but it had no trouble with the FEL lifting it. I was surprised. With better counter weight, it would have been super easy. This was using chains on the FEL bucket. If he had removed the bucket and used the QA hay spear to lift it, that would have put the whole thing much closer and less residual weight on the FEL to start with.
You should have no problem using the 55 HP tractor with a bale on the rear and one on the front. Don't use those FEL bucket attached hay spears. They are hard on the bucket AND limit the weight you can lift by hundreds of pounds since it is so far forward plus have to lift the FEL bucket also. Get a QA hay spear and you will be SOOO happy.

/ workmaster 55
Wow! That's pretty good! I don't see how it does that. Any other input is welcome... Thanks guys!

/ workmaster 55 #6  
Thanks for the reply. Does your tractor have a loader? Do you use yours to move rolls?

It does now. Supposedly rated at 2,930 lbs but it would never pick that much weight up because my tractor is too light in the butt. My friend has the same 553 loader except his is on a 5603 cab model and it picks up round bales like its nothing.

/ workmaster 55
So do will your tractor pick up large rolls with the loader without anything on the back?

/ workmaster 55 #8  
So do will your tractor pick up large rolls with the loader without anything on the back?

I've never picked up bales with mine. I can tell you that I can get a full scoop of wet clay and my rear end doesn't feel light at all. I also have my rear tires loaded along with a set of rear wheel weights so that helps. If you wanted to you could always pick up a bale on the rear first and then you wouldn't have to worry about it feeling "light".

/ workmaster 55
I bet that wet clay isn't light...... You're right I would need to put a roll on the back before lifting up on the front. I'm concerned with how it will handle them on hilly ground. I'm sure if I loaded the back tires and wheel weights that would help. There will be times it will have to pick one up on the front without anything on the back.

/ workmaster 55 #10  
I bet that wet clay isn't light...... You're right I would need to put a roll on the back before lifting up on the front. I'm concerned with how it will handle them on hilly ground. I'm sure if I loaded the back tires and wheel weights that would help. There will be times it will have to pick one up on the front without anything on the back.

As long as you take it pretty slow (not crawling across the field but not wide *** open either) you will be fine. Hay farmers around here don't use counter weight on the back, their tractors probably just have loaded rear tires. I've always weighted up my tillage tractors as heavy as I can get them because I want them to be heavy. That's one of the main uses the tractor you see in my avatar is for. Your New Holland dealer won't let you leave out of his office with a tractor that's gonna tip over from being too light in the rear.