Ford 3000 Diesel Tractor fuel problems

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Tractor fuel problems #1  

jeretp

Tractor
ford 3000
I have recently purchased this tractor, and I am begining to feel like the old farmer saw me coming a mile away! Initially the tractor wouldnt run for longer than about 10 minutes. So, I cleaned all of the farm fuel out of it, and drained the majority of the fuel out. I replaced the filters, and then I bled the fuel lines just as it says in the manual. Started it up and it ran fine for about an hour. Then she bogged down while I was going uphill. I bled the lines again all the way to the injectors. Everything worked as the manual said. It ran for about 10 minutes, and died again on the incline.

I rolled it back down and bled the lines, and replaced the filters again for the second time thinking that the old farm fuel never cleared the bottom of the tank. I also cleaned out the sediment bowl under the tank two times which appeared to have a milky white substance in it at the bottom. The second time it appeared to look like rusty color that settled on the bottom.

The first time I cracked the sediment bowl the fuel seemed to flow enough to drain 6 gallons out within an hour. The next time the fuel dripped every 5 seconds. If I loosen or crack the line it seems to run out of the tank into the sediment bowl a little faster. I have to wait about 20 minutes for the fuel to begin bleeding out of the bleed lines above the filters, and now it seems to drip even slower than before. I believe the tank could have a partial clog in it since it only drips when I tighten the sediment bowl, and flows when I loosen the line from the bowl to the filter housing (2 filters). I am completely covered in diesel fuel and I am about to have to call someone to come and look at it since I cant figure it out.

I have read other threads on those who have had similar problems, and cant find an exact match to my issue.

I have fuel to the pump and I also have all three injectors pumping fuel when I loosen the lines. ( I dont have a manual pump by the way).

I have loosened all three injectors at the same time, and I have loosened one at a time without any luck. After it cools down I am sure it will run again when the fuel FINALLY fills the sediment bowl, then the filters and so on. But it will only run for 10 minutes at best. Can anyone identify what is going on?

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Tractor fuel problems
Update: I finally went ahead and sprayed some ether in the breather. Didnt help. Wouldnt start it. It would act like it was going to catch but never started.

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Tractor fuel problems #3  
It sounds like the bottom of the tank is full of junk.

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Tractor fuel problems #4  
I have recently purchased this tractor, and I am begining to feel like the old farmer saw me coming a mile away! Initially the tractor wouldnt run for longer than about 10 minutes. So, I cleaned all of the farm fuel out of it, and drained the majority of the fuel out. I replaced the filters, and then I bled the fuel lines just as it says in the manual. Started it up and it ran fine for about an hour. Then she bogged down while I was going uphill. I bled the lines again all the way to the injectors. Everything worked as the manual said. It ran for about 10 minutes, and died again on the incline.

I rolled it back down and bled the lines, and replaced the filters again for the second time thinking that the old farm fuel never cleared the bottom of the tank. I also cleaned out the sediment bowl under the tank two times which appeared to have a milky white substance in it at the bottom. The second time it appeared to look like rusty color that settled on the bottom.

The first time I cracked the sediment bowl the fuel seemed to flow enough to drain 6 gallons out within an hour. The next time the fuel dripped every 5 seconds. If I loosen or crack the line it seems to run out of the tank into the sediment bowl a little faster. I have to wait about 20 minutes for the fuel to begin bleeding out of the bleed lines above the filters, and now it seems to drip even slower than before. I believe the tank could have a partial clog in it since it only drips when I tighten the sediment bowl, and flows when I loosen the line from the bowl to the filter housing (2 filters). I am completely covered in diesel fuel and I am about to have to call someone to come and look at it since I cant figure it out.

I have read other threads on those who have had similar problems, and cant find an exact match to my issue.

I have fuel to the pump and I also have all three injectors pumping fuel when I loosen the lines. ( I dont have a manual pump by the way).

I have loosened all three injectors at the same time, and I have loosened one at a time without any luck. After it cools down I am sure it will run again when the fuel FINALLY fills the sediment bowl, then the filters and so on. But it will only run for 10 minutes at best. Can anyone identify what is going on?
I think i would let the tank drain completely and then remove the valve.
Make sure the tank fitting hole will pass fuel without being restricted, then clean or replace the fuel bowl /valve assembly...
BTW my 3000 does not have a sediment bowl just a shut off valve. Any more i just leave it wide open ..(never close it while sitting)
One more question when it quits have u checked to see if the filters are less than full.. if so it very likely is supply side related. Also the statement about ok flow and then a 5 second drip sounds like someone could have lost a cap seal in the tank and it could be covering the outlet or restricting it .
i would also look (as best you can with a flashlight ) although 3000 tanks might be hard to see the entire interior...

I have to believe that the filters are full based on the bleeder valves fillling to the top. I have never thought to close the shut off valve since I wasnt thinking to. A cap seal could be restricting the flow from the tank. I was afraid to pull it off since I would have to try and take off the valve assembly above the sediment bowl. Then putting it back on would be a headache. Would I use permaseal or what to reseal the valve assembly? The line coming from the sediment bowl leaks a little, and I have attempted to tighten that up also, but to the the point where it stays wet without a drip from there. Is there a way to stick a toothpick or something in the valve assembly to loosen or clear the drain? I just put 5 gallons of fresh fuel in it from a gas station. The bowl has filled FINALLY and appears clear.

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Tractor fuel problems #6  
I'm not sure on the toothpick to clear the valve. mine has always sweated a bit, to -just decided it's a 1967 so I cut it a little slack.. If it were me, I might try loosening the tank filler cap and try reverse pressurizing the fuel line (wearing goggles) of course.. using a regulated air supply , maybe start with 20 psi or so and work your way up until it flows freely?? As far as sealant for the fitting- permatex or locktight makes a thread sealant in a little white tube, it's kind of pricey but has always worked for me.. good luck:thumbsup:

I dont have the capabilities to blow out the lines, but will attempt other measures. I am going to take off the valve at the bottom of the tank and try cleaning there.

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Tractor fuel problems #8  
no air compressor?

Update: I went in and took off the sediment bowl, then removed the valve or filter above it. tried to blow it through. It was clogged with seeds and leaves that appeared old and dated. Cleaned it out, and put it all back together. I even improved the connections from the bowl to the pump. The fuel immediately began to run into the bowl faster and the filters and bleed valves filled in a matter of a minute or so. Bled the pump and the connections at the cylinders and it fired right up and is now running like a new Tractor! I appreciate your assistance.

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Tractor fuel problems #10  
glad you got it going.