Traction Ford 1700 4wd BROKEN FRONT AXLE

/ Ford 1700 4wd BROKEN FRONT AXLE #1  

billtaylor01

Tractor
ford 1700
hi guys

Broke my front LH axle the other day, was wondering if any one has had any luck having one repaired or fabricated by a machine shop. I have searched all over at salvage yards with no luck. Any Help would be appreciated

thanks Bill

/ Ford 1700 4wd BROKEN FRONT AXLE
I have seen that thread and even replied to it hoping to get some more info or advice, Priced the parts at NH dealer and it came to over $3000 per side. Was hoping someone knew where there was used/salvage parts out there, I have sent over 50 emails and multiple phone calls trying to find the part with absolutely no luck at all.

thanks Bill

/ Ford 1700 4wd BROKEN FRONT AXLE #4  
Bill, as you found in the thread, the NH kit is the update, larger diameter axle shaft, that eliminates this problem for the most part. I agree, a lot of money to spend, even when Ford/Shibaura came out with the kit originally. A machine shop could repair your part, but also pricey.
If you haven't tried already, West Kentucky Tractor Parts, Broken Tractor or Gulf South Tractor are salvage yards that you might try.

/ Ford 1700 4wd BROKEN FRONT AXLE #6  
I have found a machinist to make these...he's done them in the past and they hold up well. If I can get a few ordered, the price can be reasonable. Any interest?
Randy

/ Ford 1700 4wd BROKEN FRONT AXLE #7  
Have you tried calling a driveshaft shop? We have a place called place here called fleetpride that could get you a new axle if you brought in the old one.

/ Ford 1700 4wd BROKEN FRONT AXLE #9  
I have found a machinist to make these...he's done them in the past and they hold up well. If I can get a few ordered, the price can be reasonable. Any interest?
Randy

How much are you talking? I need at least one, maybe two axles.

/ Ford 1700 4wd BROKEN FRONT AXLE #10  
Ballpark "reasonable".

It looks like they will be around $500 each...maybe less for a pair. Better steel, properly heat treated. This is for an axle that will be press fitted to the original wheel flange and welded where it protrudes. I'll post more details when they are done...probably a couple weeks yet.

I'm excited! My tractor has been laid up for a month. The upgrade kit parts are still available but I was quoted $2400 per side.