Tc33d Slipping transmission?

/ Tc33d Slipping transmission? #1  

Russ5160

Hi. When I'm using my tractor, and I'm in 3 or Hi and going up a incline, the tractor just sits there. I have to put it in a lower gear setting before it will move. Is this the way a hydrostatic transmission functions? Or is there an adjustment that I can do to make it stop slipping?

Thanks. Russ

/ Tc33d Slipping transmission? #2  
Welcome to TBN
That might be normal if the hill is rather steep.
It would help if you could give us more detail.

/ Tc33d Slipping transmission?
Welcome to TBN
That might be normal if the hill is rather steep.
It would help if you could give us more detail.

It's kind of hard to put into words but I'll try.
Shouldn't the engine start to strain and lose RPMs? This doesn't happen. I'll be mowing and stop on a incline and I'll push the peddle, and nothing. I don't believe, I even hear a hydraulic whine. I guess I could send a picture of the incline, if you want me to!

Last edited:
   / Tc33d Slipping transmission? #4  
Parts book shows a single disc clutch ahead of the HST. Maybe that's what's slipping??? Any freeplay on the pedal?

/ Tc33d Slipping transmission? #5  
Hi Russ,

I have TC33D and I believe what you are experiencing is somewhat normal in the sense that you will not be able to go up much of a hill in 3rd. I only use 3rd as a travel gear either on the flat or down hill. To me though I think you would hear the engine lug or strain. I don't think I have ever tried to start up a hill in 3rd, generally what happens is that I'm moving and start to climb a hill, hear the engine start to strain and stop and shift into 2nd or 1st. I'll have to give it a try today and see what happens.

/ Tc33d Slipping transmission? #6  
I agree, for starters, you should not be trying to do work in 3rd range, it is strictly road gear for flat ground. BUT , If I try to go up a steep hill from a standing start in 3rd, the engine will lug down. This is not what the OP is stating, he says the engine RPM stays up but slippage is happening somewhere or relief valve is opening in the Hydro. This is not normal operation, or at least is not normal for any hydro I have owned. Perhaps the hydro relief is set too low, but the engine should bog down before the relief kicks in. My JD lawn mower however will not go up some extremely steep hills if the traction is available so that the wheels do not spin, the hydro will go into relief and the tractor will not move.. We are talking about extremely steep hills, the kind you cannot safely traverse on foot. On my present tractor, if I say push the loader up against an immovable object (tree/rock) in ranges 1 and 2, the wheels will spin on normal dirt or gravel, but in 3rd range the wheels will not spin and the hydro will go into relief but the engine will bog down, it will not die but it will bog down, a bunch. I think your tractor may just have the relief set a little low so that it kicks in sooner and does not bog the engine much, or you did not notice it. It is all a moot point though, as you should not be trying to go up steep hills in 3rd range anyway.

James K0UA

/ Tc33d Slipping transmission? #7  
Well, I tried it and while I did not floor it on the hill, you can tell it did "not like it". To me, sounded more like the hydro did "not like it" but then I did not push the pedal all the way down because I could tell it was only going to get worse.

As James stated, maybe your relief valve is opening up. If you are indeed not hearing any difference in the engine or hydro system then something is different with your tarctor . I do know when I first got my tractor if I was digging into a pile of dirt in 2nd gear and came to a stop if I kept the peddle down the engine would stall. I now know you can't do that with a hydro unit.

Let us know what you find out.

/ Tc33d Slipping transmission? #8  
High range is really not for mowing or going up inclines. It's a road gear/transport gear. This is normal for an HST transmission. On a gear tractor, the engine dies, but on an HST tractor, the transmission relief valve lifts. If you want to test the transmission, put the loader down to dig or up against a tree and try the low range. If it spins the tires, then your transmission and clutch are probably fine.

/ Tc33d Slipping transmission? #9  
Also, on the hydrostatic transmission, the foot pedal is not like the throttle on your car. The more you push it down, the higher the ratio between the engine and the wheels, and so the less torque available. For maximum torque, you want the slowest forward speed. That said, my TC29d won't go up much of a hill in 3rd range either, and I always mow in 1st range.

/ Tc33d Slipping transmission?
Well, I tried it and while I did not floor it on the hill, you can tell it did "not like it". To me, sounded more like the hydro did "not like it" but then I did not push the pedal all the way down because I could tell it was only going to get worse.

As James stated, maybe your relief valve is opening up. If you are indeed not hearing any difference in the engine or hydro system then something is different with your tarctor . I do know when I first got my tractor if I was digging into a pile of dirt in 2nd gear and came to a stop if I kept the peddle down the engine would stall. I now know you can't do that with a hydro unit.

Let us know what you find out.

I thank everyone for the input. I will be mowing on Monday and I will listen
and look.
I will let everyone know what I find
Russ