tc 18 pto shaft wont turn

/ tc 18 pto shaft wont turn #1  

chevyflan

Tractor
john deere gp
i was tilling with my tc 18 and tiller stopped turning if u lift the tiller up it turns but when you put it down on the ground it stops turning something inside of the tractor went bad any ideas.

/ tc 18 pto shaft wont turn #2  
Are you sure your tiller's PTO clutch is not slipping? That's the way mine acts when I have the clutch adjusted too loose.

/ tc 18 pto shaft wont turn
no its not the pto clutch . its something inside the tractor

/ tc 18 pto shaft wont turn #4  
no its not the pto clutch . its something inside the tractor
So when you put the tiller into the ground the PTO shaft going from the tractor to the tiller stops turning, or is it just the tiller tines that stop turning?

Aaron Z

the pto shaft stops turning

/ tc 18 pto shaft wont turn #6  
Something inside is probbaly unhappy then. Looks like that has a hydraulic clutch pack to run the PTO. Those can get spendy in a hurry.

Aaron Z

/ tc 18 pto shaft wont turn #7  
Something inside is probbaly unhappy then. Looks like that has a hydraulic clutch pack to run the PTO. Those can get spendy in a hurry.

Aaron Z

Aaron, I can't find anything that shows a PTO clutch/brake on the TC18. It looks to me like it is completely gear driven and the tractor's clutch is the only clutch in the driveline. I suspect the PTO is not being fully engaged and is popping out of gear due to a worn gear or misadjusted engagement lever. If the tractor's clutch was slipping, the tractor would not move either.

Chevyflan: Do you hear any popping or grinding when the PTO disengages? Have you checked the PTO operation on anything other than the tiller (for example, a rotary cutter)? Do you also have a mid-PTO? Does it work properly?

BTW: The gear transmission looks like it may have a built-in over-run clutch (ratchet) in the transmission, but that is not a hydraulic clutch. It just allows the PTO shaft to continue turning after the lever is disengaged and useful for rotary cutters that have to spin down.

Last edited:
   / tc 18 pto shaft wont turn #8  
Aaron, I can't find anything that shows a PTO clutch/brake on the TC18. It looks to me like it is completely gear driven and the tractor's clutch is the only clutch in the driveline. I suspect the PTO is not being fully engaged and is popping out of gear due to a worn gear or misadjusted engagement lever. If the tractor's clutch was slipping, the tractor would not move either.
I stand corrected. I looked it up on Tractordata and misread it as having an independent PTO vs a live PTO.
Looks like there are some exploded parts diagrams at: New Holland TC18 Transmission/PTO

Aaron Z

pulled the pto shaft out of the back of the tractor today and on the shaft is a bearing clutch which was bad not much to it but a new one is $238. thanks for all the advice.

/ tc 18 pto shaft wont turn #10  
Great job! Is your tractor the gear model? It's funny that the parts list called that a bearing when it looked just like an internal over-run clutch to me.